Washington Mudslide Update: Donations Continue to Pour in, Poster Says 'Thank You' to Responders
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | March 31, 2014 10:30 PM EST
The devastating mudslide has not halted several individuals and organizations from extending their help to all the victims of the unforeseen erosion of a 600-feet hillside above the north folk of the Stillaguamish River that left dozens of families grieving for their loved-ones in Oso, Washington.
A note thanking first responders to the mudslide is seen on a poster outside a shop in downtown Arlington, Washington March 28, 2014. Rescue officials said the death toll from a catastrophic mudslide in Washington state is soon expected to climb far higher, as some residents voiced anger that they were prevented from helping in the initial disaster response (nine) days ago.
Organizations like Red Cross aim to provide the families that survived the Washington mudslide "a place to stay, food to eat and emotional support" to free them from the catastrophe that had once threatened their lives.
According to the American Red Cross Web site, since the day of the devastation, Red Cross has already "mobilized several response vehicles and nearly 100 trained workers to provide support" for the families that had been victims of the mudslide in the rural town of Oso in Snohomish County in Darrington, Washington.
Also, several Red Cross family centers were reported to be opening in both the communities of Arlington and Darrington to provide everyone "information, meals, emotional support and child care."
Reuters reported the Snoqualmie Tribe announced a total amount of $275,000 donation to help the relief operation for the victims of the Oso mudslide on March 28.
As of press time, the number of missing persons has dropped from 176 to 90, and now to 30. A depressing count of 28 casualties had been tallied, although only 18 were included in the official death toll as officials cited only those examined and identified by the medical examiners will be counted.
Aside from Red Cross, the other organizations that people can contact to help the victims of the Washington mudslide as originally posted on MYNorthwest.com are:
1. United Way - www.usc.org.
2. Salvation Army - www.salvationarmynw.org
3. Cascade Valley Hospital Foundation - www.cascadevalley.org/foundation/
4. The Coastal Community Bank - http://s-caf.org/Oso_Mudslide_Donations.php
5. Animal Rescue Foundation - www.everettarf.org
With the continuous downpour of support from various individuals, organizations, tribes and the ceaseless urge of the rescue teams and officials, despite poor weather conditions, to help find more people in the rubble, a "thank you" poster at a shop in downtown Arlington in the state of Washington can be seen.
Washington Mudslide Updates:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- UFO Sightings: Mysterious Bright Lights Spotted Flashing over Toronto, Witnesses Share UFO Sighting Experience on Social Media [VIDEO]
- Japanese Whalers End Pacific Hunt with 115 Whales Dead and No Disruption from Sea Shepherd
- 'Watch the MH17 Plane Missile Hit Video Tape in Mobile' Goes Viral on Facebook
- Australia Ranks High in Human Development Index But Scores Low in Climate Change
- UN Vows to Bring MH17 Crash Perpetrators to Justice; Downing of Plane a 'War Crime'
- These 2 Questions Reveal if You Unwittingly Abuse Alcohol
- Jennifer Lopez and Her Wild 45th Birthday Party: How JLo’s Life-Size Birthday Cake from SamiCakes Boutique Was Made
- Blake Griffin’s Back Injury Is the Reason for His Withdrawal from Team U.S.A.
- Supernatural Season 10 Spoilers: Metatron Capable of Saving Castiel's Fading Grace
- Anderson Silva To Test the Octagon Anew After Freak Leg Injury, To Fight Nick Diaz in 2015