“House of Cards” Team Experiences Frank Underwood Style Threat
By Anshu Shrivastava | March 31, 2014 9:47 PM EST
Members of the Maryland House of Delegates are taking a leaf out of Frank Underwood's political game book to threaten the production company of his show, "House of Cards." In response to "House of Cards" production company's warning that they will shift to another state, if not given more dollars in tax credits, the Maryland delegates have passed their own threatening note.
The Baltimore Sun reports that the delegates "adopted budget language" that gives the state the power to "seize the production company's property," if it stops filming in Maryland.
Del. C. William Frick proposed this threat, according to The Washington Post report, and it was approved, without a debate or vote call.
"I literally thought: What is an appropriate Frank Underwood response to a threat like this?" Frick said, as quoted by The Washington Post. "Eminent domain really struck me as the most dramatic response."
A few weeks before the release of Season 2 on February 14, 2014, the producer of this political drama series threatened that they would move to another state, if Maryland fails to give "House of Cards" more millions of dollars in tax credits.
In a letter written to the governor of Maryland Martin O'Malley, the production company warned, "In the event sufficient incentives do not become available, we will have to break down our stage, sets and offices and set up in another state."
At the floor of the house, Frick said that he loves the show and called it "terrific." However, he added that the warning letter sent by the production company of "House of Cards" "went a little far."
In a Q & A session on Twitter, Beau Willimon had said: "We are still writing Season 3. Will start filming in a few months."
In the letter, the production company indicated that they are waiting for a positive outcome of the legislation, and thus have pushed-back the filming of Season 3 to June. The original plan was to begin shooting in early spring. This delay in filming of "House of Cards" is likely to delay the release of Season 3 episodes.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Reports: The Truth Behind the Duchess Miscarriage
- Young and the Restless July 28- August 1 Spoilers, Cast News: Updates on Devon, Hilary, Chelsea, Billy, Jack, Phyllis Plus Criminal Minds Actor Returns
- Game of Thrones Season 5 Spoilers: Daenerys Targaryen vs Yezzan, Nymeria Sand Actress Announced at Comic Con 2014
- Sons of Anarchy Charlie Hunnam Heartbroken about Walking Away from Fifty Shades of Grey [VIDEO]
- The Walking Dead Season 5 Official Trailer Released Plus Premiere Date, Spoilers: Gun Battle, Zombies, Beth Greene [VIDEO]
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE-A Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update Rolls Out: When to Hit Your Region
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]