“House of Cards” Team Experiences Frank Underwood Style Threat
By Anshu Shrivastava | March 31, 2014 9:47 PM EST
Members of the Maryland House of Delegates are taking a leaf out of Frank Underwood's political game book to threaten the production company of his show, "House of Cards." In response to "House of Cards" production company's warning that they will shift to another state, if not given more dollars in tax credits, the Maryland delegates have passed their own threatening note.
The Baltimore Sun reports that the delegates "adopted budget language" that gives the state the power to "seize the production company's property," if it stops filming in Maryland.
Del. C. William Frick proposed this threat, according to The Washington Post report, and it was approved, without a debate or vote call.
"I literally thought: What is an appropriate Frank Underwood response to a threat like this?" Frick said, as quoted by The Washington Post. "Eminent domain really struck me as the most dramatic response."
A few weeks before the release of Season 2 on February 14, 2014, the producer of this political drama series threatened that they would move to another state, if Maryland fails to give "House of Cards" more millions of dollars in tax credits.
In a letter written to the governor of Maryland Martin O'Malley, the production company warned, "In the event sufficient incentives do not become available, we will have to break down our stage, sets and offices and set up in another state."
At the floor of the house, Frick said that he loves the show and called it "terrific." However, he added that the warning letter sent by the production company of "House of Cards" "went a little far."
In a Q & A session on Twitter, Beau Willimon had said: "We are still writing Season 3. Will start filming in a few months."
In the letter, the production company indicated that they are waiting for a positive outcome of the legislation, and thus have pushed-back the filming of Season 3 to June. The original plan was to begin shooting in early spring. This delay in filming of "House of Cards" is likely to delay the release of Season 3 episodes.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Selena Gomez & Andre Hamann Update: Andre Calls Selena Stunning, Admits Crush on Singer
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales