“House of Cards” Team Experiences Frank Underwood Style Threat
By Anshu Shrivastava | March 31, 2014 9:47 PM EST
Members of the Maryland House of Delegates are taking a leaf out of Frank Underwood's political game book to threaten the production company of his show, "House of Cards." In response to "House of Cards" production company's warning that they will shift to another state, if not given more dollars in tax credits, the Maryland delegates have passed their own threatening note.
The Baltimore Sun reports that the delegates "adopted budget language" that gives the state the power to "seize the production company's property," if it stops filming in Maryland.
Del. C. William Frick proposed this threat, according to The Washington Post report, and it was approved, without a debate or vote call.
"I literally thought: What is an appropriate Frank Underwood response to a threat like this?" Frick said, as quoted by The Washington Post. "Eminent domain really struck me as the most dramatic response."
A few weeks before the release of Season 2 on February 14, 2014, the producer of this political drama series threatened that they would move to another state, if Maryland fails to give "House of Cards" more millions of dollars in tax credits.
In a letter written to the governor of Maryland Martin O'Malley, the production company warned, "In the event sufficient incentives do not become available, we will have to break down our stage, sets and offices and set up in another state."
At the floor of the house, Frick said that he loves the show and called it "terrific." However, he added that the warning letter sent by the production company of "House of Cards" "went a little far."
In a Q & A session on Twitter, Beau Willimon had said: "We are still writing Season 3. Will start filming in a few months."
In the letter, the production company indicated that they are waiting for a positive outcome of the legislation, and thus have pushed-back the filming of Season 3 to June. The original plan was to begin shooting in early spring. This delay in filming of "House of Cards" is likely to delay the release of Season 3 episodes.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Rihanna Nude Photos Leaked – The Fappening 2: Second Wave Of Celebrities Nude Pictures Leak on 4chan And Reddit
- 'Castle' Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic's Kate Beckett, NYPD To Discover The Real Rick Castle
- 'Star Wars 7'—5 Villains To Feature In The Movie, According To Reported Leaks [Spoilers]
- 'Under The Dome' Season 2 Finale Spoilers: An Exit Route Appears But Not Everyone Gets Out Alive, 'Under The Dome' Season 3 Update [VIDEO]
- Bruce Jenner Sex Change Reports Resurface As He Shaves His Leg, Behaves Feminine Inside A Coffee Shop
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed