Move Over ‘Mother,’ ‘How I Met Your Dad’ is Coming!
By Riza Ornos | March 31, 2014 9:34 PM EST
The ninth and the final season of CBS' popular comedy TV show, "How I Met Your Mother" (HIMYM is wrapping up, with final episode this Monday, March 31 -- episode titled "Last Forever." To ensure, fans do not miss the show much, writer and producer, Carter Bays and Craig Thomas, have started working on a new sitcom that is quite similar to HIMYM, but with a new twist.
"How I Met Your Dad" is a spin-off of HIMYM, which ends after a successful run of nine years by revealing to the audience the elusive "mother." The spin-off will feature a new set of characters and it is going to be based on mother's point of view. In the new show "Arthur" star Greta Gerwig is portraying the role of Sally, the mother.
Like Ted's character in HIMYM, Sally is vibrant but also very messy and unpredictable. She is a "female Peter Pan who has never grown up and has no idea of where she's going in life," as described in "How I Met Your Dad" wikia.
According to Thomas, the new show is going to stand on its own and will not be the continuation of HIMYM. The show will follow Sally's and her quest to find her future husband, together with her friends as they try to figure out life and love.
CBS described their new show as "a kindred spirit of "How I Met Your Mother" telling the story from a female point of view, "How I Met Your Dad" tells a brand-new story with new characters and a new voice at its center."
"How I Met Your Dad" will also feature Juliet, played by Tiya Sicar, as Sally's flamboyant and party-girl BFF. Other main characters in HIMYD are Todd and Frank played by Drew Tarver and "Master of Sex" star Nick D'Agosto. Todd is one of Sally's closest friends from college and Frank is a hot nerd, with genuine feelings for the lead star.
"It's funny. It shares the heart and soul with the original show, so it has the sweetness and the funniness," Greta Gerwig said in an interview.
Rob Greenberg is directing the pilot episode of "How I Met Your Dad," as long-time HIMYM director Pam Fryman had to quit because of a family emergency.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Women’s Tennis’ Grand Slam Winners Of 2014 - Li Na, Sharapova, Kvitova, And Williams
Join the Conversation
- Joan Rivers Left $150 Million Legacy To Her Only Child, Care For Her Four Pooches Included In Her Will
- 'Star Wars 7': Luke Skywalker Exiled, Turns Into Powerful Wizard
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice’: Leaked Videos Show Batmobile In Motion; Vehicle Reportedly 'Stolen'
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’: Black Panther Powerful Than Ultron, Can Be New Iron Man
- Kendall Jenner Distances Self From The Kardashians, Prefers Kim Kardashian West To Be Absent In Her Modelling Shows
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date