Chelsea FC Transfer News: Blues Will Acquire a Striker This Summer while Others May Depart, Confirms Mourinho
By Mark Wayne Eubank | March 31, 2014 9:26 PM EST
Title contenders Chelsea are slowly paying the price for not having a consistently dependable word-class striker on their squad, and Jose Mourinho would like to address such pressing concern this summer.
“I don't think it's the moment to speak about next season and the market but it's clear to everybody that Chelsea next year wants to bring in a striker.” - Jose Mourinho
The Blues lost two of their previous three games in the Premier League against Aston Villa and Crystal Palace wherein they were held scoreless, while the opposition managed to get away with only a goal each.
"I don't think it's the moment to speak about next season and the market but it's clear to everybody that Chelsea next year wants to bring in a striker," Mourinho told Sky Sport.
"What's the future for the other strikers? The ones who are staying are competing with the striker we are bringing [in]. And normally, at the end of the season, players that are not playing a lot or players who are not happy may prefer a change."
Chelsea has made a living out of their compact and sometimes invulnerable defense that conceded only 24 goals in the Premiership, thus far - the lowest in the League, but an insufficient production in front of goal might mean the difference between coming out on top and ending a spectacular yet trophyless season as far as England's top-flight is concerned.
"That is also part of the market. We want to improve the team and the players and make some surgical movements in the transfer window," he added.
"It's also clear that we want to improve our players. I can't and I don't need to improve (Branislav) Ivanovic, (Gary) Cahill, John Terry."
"There are other guys I need to improve. I think we are doing that step by step, but it's not enough to be champions."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More