Chelsea FC Transfer News: Blues Will Acquire a Striker This Summer while Others May Depart, Confirms Mourinho
By Mark Wayne Eubank | March 31, 2014 9:26 PM EST
Title contenders Chelsea are slowly paying the price for not having a consistently dependable word-class striker on their squad, and Jose Mourinho would like to address such pressing concern this summer.
“I don't think it's the moment to speak about next season and the market but it's clear to everybody that Chelsea next year wants to bring in a striker.” - Jose Mourinho
The Blues lost two of their previous three games in the Premier League against Aston Villa and Crystal Palace wherein they were held scoreless, while the opposition managed to get away with only a goal each.
"I don't think it's the moment to speak about next season and the market but it's clear to everybody that Chelsea next year wants to bring in a striker," Mourinho told Sky Sport.
"What's the future for the other strikers? The ones who are staying are competing with the striker we are bringing [in]. And normally, at the end of the season, players that are not playing a lot or players who are not happy may prefer a change."
Chelsea has made a living out of their compact and sometimes invulnerable defense that conceded only 24 goals in the Premiership, thus far - the lowest in the League, but an insufficient production in front of goal might mean the difference between coming out on top and ending a spectacular yet trophyless season as far as England's top-flight is concerned.
"That is also part of the market. We want to improve the team and the players and make some surgical movements in the transfer window," he added.
"It's also clear that we want to improve our players. I can't and I don't need to improve (Branislav) Ivanovic, (Gary) Cahill, John Terry."
"There are other guys I need to improve. I think we are doing that step by step, but it's not enough to be champions."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Rafael Nadal To Kick Off 2015 Season At The Mubadala World Tennis Championship, Undergoes Knee Treatment Prior Appendectomy
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2