Chelsea FC Transfer News: Blues Will Acquire a Striker This Summer while Others May Depart, Confirms Mourinho
By Mark Wayne Eubank | March 31, 2014 9:26 PM EST
Title contenders Chelsea are slowly paying the price for not having a consistently dependable word-class striker on their squad, and Jose Mourinho would like to address such pressing concern this summer.
“I don't think it's the moment to speak about next season and the market but it's clear to everybody that Chelsea next year wants to bring in a striker.” - Jose Mourinho
The Blues lost two of their previous three games in the Premier League against Aston Villa and Crystal Palace wherein they were held scoreless, while the opposition managed to get away with only a goal each.
"I don't think it's the moment to speak about next season and the market but it's clear to everybody that Chelsea next year wants to bring in a striker," Mourinho told Sky Sport.
"What's the future for the other strikers? The ones who are staying are competing with the striker we are bringing [in]. And normally, at the end of the season, players that are not playing a lot or players who are not happy may prefer a change."
Chelsea has made a living out of their compact and sometimes invulnerable defense that conceded only 24 goals in the Premiership, thus far - the lowest in the League, but an insufficient production in front of goal might mean the difference between coming out on top and ending a spectacular yet trophyless season as far as England's top-flight is concerned.
"That is also part of the market. We want to improve the team and the players and make some surgical movements in the transfer window," he added.
"It's also clear that we want to improve our players. I can't and I don't need to improve (Branislav) Ivanovic, (Gary) Cahill, John Terry."
"There are other guys I need to improve. I think we are doing that step by step, but it's not enough to be champions."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Striker Disappointed with Cesc Fabregas Sale to Chelsea
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Manchester United Transfer News: Wilfried Zaha Might Stay After Impressing Van Gaal Against Inter [VIDEO]
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools