Kansas’ Andrew Wiggins to Declare Entry in NBA Draft
By Lou Ramon Aguila | March 31, 2014 7:00 PM EST
Kansas freshman phenom Andrew Wiggins will reportedly announce his decision to enter the upcoming NBA Draft, a source close to the situation reported on Sunday.
Wiggins, a potential top pick in the upcoming draft, will announce his decision to leave college after one-year tenure in Kansas and pursue his dream of playing in the professional league.
"Kansas freshman Andrew Wiggins will have a press conference tomorrow at 3:00pm CST to announce his decision regarding the draft, per Jeff Goodman of ESPN.com. It has long been widely assumed that Wiggins will declare for the NBA draft, and Goodman says this will be the case tomorrow," wrote Hoops Rumors.
Despite a lackadaisical performance in the NCAA tournament, Wiggins remains the favourite to be the no.1 overall pick in the draft by several analysts because of his tremendous upside at 6-foot-9. Duke's Jabbari Parker and Kansas' Joel Embiid are the only players seen capable of dislodging Wiggins on top of the ladder board.
"As we detailed in our Prospect Profile series, the Canadian phenom has been considered a first-overall talent since high school. Although Wiggins had an inconsistent year at Kansas, including a 4-point dud in the Jayhawks' elimination game from the NCAA tournament, he still sits atop many draft projections, including those of Jonathan Givony at DraftExpress and ESPN Insider Chad Ford," reported Hoops Rumors.
"The only two players believed to threaten Wiggins at the top of the draft are teammate Joel Embiid and Duke's Jabari Parker. Parker also had an underwhelming tournament exit, and Embiid sat out of the tourney due to a back injury."
Wiggins, who averaged 17.4 points, 6 rebounds and 1.6 assists in his one and only season with Kansas, already gave a hint in an interview with ESPN Magazine that he would only spend one season in school.
'I would say just being able to enjoy my last year of school," Wiggins said via ESPN.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales