Kansas’ Andrew Wiggins to Declare Entry in NBA Draft
By Lou Ramon Aguila | March 31, 2014 7:00 PM EST
Kansas freshman phenom Andrew Wiggins will reportedly announce his decision to enter the upcoming NBA Draft, a source close to the situation reported on Sunday.
Wiggins, a potential top pick in the upcoming draft, will announce his decision to leave college after one-year tenure in Kansas and pursue his dream of playing in the professional league.
"Kansas freshman Andrew Wiggins will have a press conference tomorrow at 3:00pm CST to announce his decision regarding the draft, per Jeff Goodman of ESPN.com. It has long been widely assumed that Wiggins will declare for the NBA draft, and Goodman says this will be the case tomorrow," wrote Hoops Rumors.
Despite a lackadaisical performance in the NCAA tournament, Wiggins remains the favourite to be the no.1 overall pick in the draft by several analysts because of his tremendous upside at 6-foot-9. Duke's Jabbari Parker and Kansas' Joel Embiid are the only players seen capable of dislodging Wiggins on top of the ladder board.
"As we detailed in our Prospect Profile series, the Canadian phenom has been considered a first-overall talent since high school. Although Wiggins had an inconsistent year at Kansas, including a 4-point dud in the Jayhawks' elimination game from the NCAA tournament, he still sits atop many draft projections, including those of Jonathan Givony at DraftExpress and ESPN Insider Chad Ford," reported Hoops Rumors.
"The only two players believed to threaten Wiggins at the top of the draft are teammate Joel Embiid and Duke's Jabari Parker. Parker also had an underwhelming tournament exit, and Embiid sat out of the tourney due to a back injury."
Wiggins, who averaged 17.4 points, 6 rebounds and 1.6 assists in his one and only season with Kansas, already gave a hint in an interview with ESPN Magazine that he would only spend one season in school.
'I would say just being able to enjoy my last year of school," Wiggins said via ESPN.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- LA Lakers: Kobe Bryant Attributes Past Outburst Against Dwight Howard To 'Heat Of The Moment,' Doesn't Feel The Same Way As Durant Does
- Boxing News: Freddie Roach Not Buying Into Arum's Claim Of Pacquiao v Mayweather In 2015, Claims 'Money' Will Say 'No' After Algieri Fight
- Door Is Open For Brock Lesnar To Make UFC Return -- Dana White
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports