Exit for Australia from T20 World Cup
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 31, 2014 5:19 PM EST
After a shoddy start in T20 World Cup, Australia could not finally retain their balance, leading to their exit from the tournament.
Australia's Mitchell Starc plays a ball as India's captain and wicketkeeper M.S Dhoni watches during their ICC Twenty20 World Cup match at the Sher-E-Bangla National Cricket Stadium in Dhaka March 30, 2014
The team met India yesterday just to patch some wounds from no win at all in Group 2 matches. But the Blues simply did not allow the Aussies to take over the match at any point of time.
The turning point came with Yuvraj Singh, who was pathetically out of form for past few matches, rose back in action with 63 runs off 43 deliveries, hitting two big sixes off James Murihead.
The "Player of the Match" award went to Ravichandran Ashwin who took over the bowling stride and knocked out four crucial wickets, letting just 11 runs from 3.2 overs.
Earlier during the start of the match, Australia won the toss and selected to field. India got off with a hesitant start, but later, they gained their composure and increased outright attacks, hitting boundaries. But the bowlers did well as everybody picked one wicket and restricted India to 159 runs.
Though the score doesn't seem much when considering T20 format, Australia, however, could not find its rhythm in batting again and were bundled on a disappointing 86 runs.
"I'd go so far as to say it's the most disappointing game that I've led from this team, for three years," Captain George Bailey said after the match.
"I'm disappointed for the team. I'm disappointed with the way we batted ... But I'm not embarrassed for anyone, apart from myself ... If I was embarrassed I'd say it is with my own performance, to my own (dismissal)," he further added.
Overall, the sordid batting performance of the Aussies was the key to the destruction as coach Darrel Lehman earlier reacted on the miserable performance of the players.
The score of Australia was the second lowest recorded so far in T20 cricket format.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Chelsea FC Injury Update: Diego Costa Fully Fit Ahead Of West Brom Clash, Says Mourinho
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced