Exit for Australia from T20 World Cup
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 31, 2014 5:19 PM EST
After a shoddy start in T20 World Cup, Australia could not finally retain their balance, leading to their exit from the tournament.
Australia's Mitchell Starc plays a ball as India's captain and wicketkeeper M.S Dhoni watches during their ICC Twenty20 World Cup match at the Sher-E-Bangla National Cricket Stadium in Dhaka March 30, 2014
The team met India yesterday just to patch some wounds from no win at all in Group 2 matches. But the Blues simply did not allow the Aussies to take over the match at any point of time.
The turning point came with Yuvraj Singh, who was pathetically out of form for past few matches, rose back in action with 63 runs off 43 deliveries, hitting two big sixes off James Murihead.
The "Player of the Match" award went to Ravichandran Ashwin who took over the bowling stride and knocked out four crucial wickets, letting just 11 runs from 3.2 overs.
Earlier during the start of the match, Australia won the toss and selected to field. India got off with a hesitant start, but later, they gained their composure and increased outright attacks, hitting boundaries. But the bowlers did well as everybody picked one wicket and restricted India to 159 runs.
Though the score doesn't seem much when considering T20 format, Australia, however, could not find its rhythm in batting again and were bundled on a disappointing 86 runs.
"I'd go so far as to say it's the most disappointing game that I've led from this team, for three years," Captain George Bailey said after the match.
"I'm disappointed for the team. I'm disappointed with the way we batted ... But I'm not embarrassed for anyone, apart from myself ... If I was embarrassed I'd say it is with my own performance, to my own (dismissal)," he further added.
Overall, the sordid batting performance of the Aussies was the key to the destruction as coach Darrel Lehman earlier reacted on the miserable performance of the players.
The score of Australia was the second lowest recorded so far in T20 cricket format.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Striker Disappointed with Cesc Fabregas Sale to Chelsea
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- UFC 183: Anderson Silva vs. Nick Diaz Receives Mixed Reactions on Twitter
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools