Exit for Australia from T20 World Cup
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 31, 2014 5:19 PM EST
After a shoddy start in T20 World Cup, Australia could not finally retain their balance, leading to their exit from the tournament.
Australia's Mitchell Starc plays a ball as India's captain and wicketkeeper M.S Dhoni watches during their ICC Twenty20 World Cup match at the Sher-E-Bangla National Cricket Stadium in Dhaka March 30, 2014
The team met India yesterday just to patch some wounds from no win at all in Group 2 matches. But the Blues simply did not allow the Aussies to take over the match at any point of time.
The turning point came with Yuvraj Singh, who was pathetically out of form for past few matches, rose back in action with 63 runs off 43 deliveries, hitting two big sixes off James Murihead.
The "Player of the Match" award went to Ravichandran Ashwin who took over the bowling stride and knocked out four crucial wickets, letting just 11 runs from 3.2 overs.
Earlier during the start of the match, Australia won the toss and selected to field. India got off with a hesitant start, but later, they gained their composure and increased outright attacks, hitting boundaries. But the bowlers did well as everybody picked one wicket and restricted India to 159 runs.
Though the score doesn't seem much when considering T20 format, Australia, however, could not find its rhythm in batting again and were bundled on a disappointing 86 runs.
"I'd go so far as to say it's the most disappointing game that I've led from this team, for three years," Captain George Bailey said after the match.
"I'm disappointed for the team. I'm disappointed with the way we batted ... But I'm not embarrassed for anyone, apart from myself ... If I was embarrassed I'd say it is with my own performance, to my own (dismissal)," he further added.
Overall, the sordid batting performance of the Aussies was the key to the destruction as coach Darrel Lehman earlier reacted on the miserable performance of the players.
The score of Australia was the second lowest recorded so far in T20 cricket format.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
- Transfer News: Manchester United's Possible Transfer Options For This Season
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Sr Already Endorsing Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Fight After Anticipated Victory Over Maidana
- Top 10 Highest Paid Tennis Players
- Dallas Cowboys Have Worst Linebackers in History, Tony Romo To Miss Games Again – Gerry Fraley
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Mourinho's Free-Transfer Ploy On Khedira Working, After Latter Refused To Pen New Real Madrid Deal
- Spanish Super Cup Second Leg Preview
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- James Foley: ISIS Demanded Multimillion Ransom, US Refused To Pay---Reports