Exit for Australia from T20 World Cup
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 31, 2014 5:19 PM EST
After a shoddy start in T20 World Cup, Australia could not finally retain their balance, leading to their exit from the tournament.
Australia's Mitchell Starc plays a ball as India's captain and wicketkeeper M.S Dhoni watches during their ICC Twenty20 World Cup match at the Sher-E-Bangla National Cricket Stadium in Dhaka March 30, 2014
The team met India yesterday just to patch some wounds from no win at all in Group 2 matches. But the Blues simply did not allow the Aussies to take over the match at any point of time.
The turning point came with Yuvraj Singh, who was pathetically out of form for past few matches, rose back in action with 63 runs off 43 deliveries, hitting two big sixes off James Murihead.
The "Player of the Match" award went to Ravichandran Ashwin who took over the bowling stride and knocked out four crucial wickets, letting just 11 runs from 3.2 overs.
Earlier during the start of the match, Australia won the toss and selected to field. India got off with a hesitant start, but later, they gained their composure and increased outright attacks, hitting boundaries. But the bowlers did well as everybody picked one wicket and restricted India to 159 runs.
Though the score doesn't seem much when considering T20 format, Australia, however, could not find its rhythm in batting again and were bundled on a disappointing 86 runs.
"I'd go so far as to say it's the most disappointing game that I've led from this team, for three years," Captain George Bailey said after the match.
"I'm disappointed for the team. I'm disappointed with the way we batted ... But I'm not embarrassed for anyone, apart from myself ... If I was embarrassed I'd say it is with my own performance, to my own (dismissal)," he further added.
Overall, the sordid batting performance of the Aussies was the key to the destruction as coach Darrel Lehman earlier reacted on the miserable performance of the players.
The score of Australia was the second lowest recorded so far in T20 cricket format.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2