Exit for Australia from T20 World Cup
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 31, 2014 5:19 PM EST
After a shoddy start in T20 World Cup, Australia could not finally retain their balance, leading to their exit from the tournament.
Australia's Mitchell Starc plays a ball as India's captain and wicketkeeper M.S Dhoni watches during their ICC Twenty20 World Cup match at the Sher-E-Bangla National Cricket Stadium in Dhaka March 30, 2014
The team met India yesterday just to patch some wounds from no win at all in Group 2 matches. But the Blues simply did not allow the Aussies to take over the match at any point of time.
The turning point came with Yuvraj Singh, who was pathetically out of form for past few matches, rose back in action with 63 runs off 43 deliveries, hitting two big sixes off James Murihead.
The "Player of the Match" award went to Ravichandran Ashwin who took over the bowling stride and knocked out four crucial wickets, letting just 11 runs from 3.2 overs.
Earlier during the start of the match, Australia won the toss and selected to field. India got off with a hesitant start, but later, they gained their composure and increased outright attacks, hitting boundaries. But the bowlers did well as everybody picked one wicket and restricted India to 159 runs.
Though the score doesn't seem much when considering T20 format, Australia, however, could not find its rhythm in batting again and were bundled on a disappointing 86 runs.
"I'd go so far as to say it's the most disappointing game that I've led from this team, for three years," Captain George Bailey said after the match.
"I'm disappointed for the team. I'm disappointed with the way we batted ... But I'm not embarrassed for anyone, apart from myself ... If I was embarrassed I'd say it is with my own performance, to my own (dismissal)," he further added.
Overall, the sordid batting performance of the Aussies was the key to the destruction as coach Darrel Lehman earlier reacted on the miserable performance of the players.
The score of Australia was the second lowest recorded so far in T20 cricket format.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports