Novak Djokovic Dethrones Rafael Nadal to Bag Fourth Miami Title
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 31, 2014 5:15 PM EST
Second seed Novak Djokovic grabbed his fourth Miami Masters title after defeating No.1 seed Rafael Nadal in a straight set by 6-3, 6-3, in the final of the tournament held at Crandon Park Tennis Center.
Mar 30, 2014; Miami, FL, USA; Novak Djokovic celebrates after winning the men's singles final of the Sony Open at Crandon Tennis Center over Rafael Nadal (not pictured). Djokovic won 6-3, 6-3
Earlier he had bagged the credit in 2007, 2011 and 2012.
"I played a great match everything was working really well ... I didn't give him a chance to come back in the match. I am really excited," Djokovic said after the win.
The 26-year-old Serbian was in perfect balance, and it seemed like an easy win for him to topple Nadal in 83 minutes. With strong defense and handful of glorious shots, Djovokic simply sailed along steady.He delivered five aces and bagged 30 of 35 points on his serve. Moreover, he didn't make any double faults, which clearly indicates his balance right from the start of the match.
Djokovic's turn-up at United States ended up well as just weeks earlier he bagged the Indian Wells ATP Masters, followed by this magnanimous win. "We come here to play in the United States for four weeks ... It gives you plenty time to recover. I love the hardcourts and it is my most preferred surface. In 2007 I won my first big title here in Miami," Djokovic said.
"I just started swinging freely and had good percentages on my first serves ... He had a hard time reading my serve," he added.
"I had a few game plans. I wanted to get out there and see what works the best. He serves and likes to move to the backhand corner. He runs around his backhand so that he opens the court for his opponent on forehand side," Djokovic concluded.
Top seed Rafael Nadal was keen to bag the title after losing final earlier for three times. But Djokovic simply didn't allow Nadal to stay ahead in the match and took every opportunity in due time to retain the glory.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Chelsea FC: Jose Mourinho Hits Back At Sergio Ramos For Questioning Costa And Fabregas Absence From NT, Says 'He is Not A Doctor'
- Liverpool FC: Brendan Rodgers Accedes That His Days As Reds Boss Could Be Numbered
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James