Novak Djokovic Dethrones Rafael Nadal to Bag Fourth Miami Title
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 31, 2014 5:15 PM EST
Second seed Novak Djokovic grabbed his fourth Miami Masters title after defeating No.1 seed Rafael Nadal in a straight set by 6-3, 6-3, in the final of the tournament held at Crandon Park Tennis Center.
Mar 30, 2014; Miami, FL, USA; Novak Djokovic celebrates after winning the men's singles final of the Sony Open at Crandon Tennis Center over Rafael Nadal (not pictured). Djokovic won 6-3, 6-3
Earlier he had bagged the credit in 2007, 2011 and 2012.
"I played a great match everything was working really well ... I didn't give him a chance to come back in the match. I am really excited," Djokovic said after the win.
The 26-year-old Serbian was in perfect balance, and it seemed like an easy win for him to topple Nadal in 83 minutes. With strong defense and handful of glorious shots, Djovokic simply sailed along steady.He delivered five aces and bagged 30 of 35 points on his serve. Moreover, he didn't make any double faults, which clearly indicates his balance right from the start of the match.
Djokovic's turn-up at United States ended up well as just weeks earlier he bagged the Indian Wells ATP Masters, followed by this magnanimous win. "We come here to play in the United States for four weeks ... It gives you plenty time to recover. I love the hardcourts and it is my most preferred surface. In 2007 I won my first big title here in Miami," Djokovic said.
"I just started swinging freely and had good percentages on my first serves ... He had a hard time reading my serve," he added.
"I had a few game plans. I wanted to get out there and see what works the best. He serves and likes to move to the backhand corner. He runs around his backhand so that he opens the court for his opponent on forehand side," Djokovic concluded.
Top seed Rafael Nadal was keen to bag the title after losing final earlier for three times. But Djokovic simply didn't allow Nadal to stay ahead in the match and took every opportunity in due time to retain the glory.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan
- Australia Ranks 11th In World Ultra Wealth Report As 175 Aussies Amass $440B In 2013