Samsung Galaxy S5 Release in Korea Ahead of Time
By Karla Danica Figuerres | March 31, 2014 4:34 PM EST
SK Telecom, South Korea's largest mobile carrier, has recently released Samsung Galaxy S5. This was two weeks earlier than what is supposedly the release date on April 11. The company is not delighted about this.
The new Samsung Galaxy S5 smartphone is displayed at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona
Samsung said it is "very puzzled" with SK Telecom's move, Associated Press reported. The official worldwide release date for Galaxy S5 is still April 11, Samsung affirmed.
Because of this action of SK Telecom, other Korean mobile producers, LG Uplus Corp. and KT Corp. also intended to release the smartphone early. A suspension will be given to SK Telecom on April 5. The carrier is banned for 45 days on releasing this device to new users, appointed by Korea's government regulator due to illegal subsidies.
A spokesman for SK Telecom told Bloomberg in a report, "We decided to release the product for a wider consumer choice of handsets before our operation suspension begins on April 5."
Samsung has said the Galaxy S5 will be out in the market for more than 100 countries in one particular day, April 11. But because of the early release of South Korea's producers, some consumers will already have a hand on the device earlier than the date Samsung planned. But then again, the global release date of the Samsung Galaxy S5 remains unchanged.
Mobile producers before the expected time have Samsung Galaxy S5 in stock as Samsung supplied them for marketing activities to perform pre-orders on the launch date.
SK Telecom claimed Galaxy S5 is available for 866,800 won or $808 without a two-year contract.
Samsung Galaxy S5 was first seen during the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona in February. The 5.1-inch smartphone has a quad-core, 2.5 GHz processor, 2 GB RAM and 16MP camera.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles