NBA Trades 2014: Lakers Preparing To Send Lottery Pick For Kevin Love
By Lou Ramon Aguila | March 31, 2014 3:50 PM EST
The Los Angeles Lakers' patience in their rebuilding efforts is apparently running out. According to sources, the Lakers are planning to use their first-round lottery pick as a trade chip in a trade with Minnesota Timberwolves for All-Star forward Kevin Love.
The Love-to-Lakers rumors caught fire again this weekend following reports about the purple-and-gold front office management plan to use their one remaining trade asset for Love, who could opt out from the final year of his contract at the end of next season.
"The suggestion is already in circulation that the Lakers will attempt to use their forthcoming high lottery pick in June to assemble the sort of trade package that finally convinces the Wolves to part with Love and end the uncertainty that hangs over this franchise even before the 25-year-old enters the final year of his contract."
Though there are reports that the Wolves still have no interest in trading Love despite the possibility of losing him without compensation in 2015. However, things can change quickly once they finally know that Love has no intention of re-signing with his current ball club.
The T-Wolves has plans to change their coaching personnel, with Rick Adelman likely to step out from the final year of his four-year deal. There are speculations the team could trap Iowa State head coach Fred Hoiberg or the return of president for basketball operation Flip Saunders to his coaching duties.
The Wolves last reached the postseason in 2004, the time when Saunders guided the Kevin Garnett-led Wolves to the Western Conference finals.
"The obvious response is Saunders, part-owner as well as team prez, heading downstairs to reclaim his old floor seat to see if he can be the guy who finally brings a halt to the league's longest postseason drought, which dates to the Wolves' 2004 Western Conference finals team coached by Saunders," ESPN reported.
"There is also another textbook candidate out there for Minnesota to chase with long-standing Wolves ties: Iowa State coach Fred Hoiberg."
According to sources, the Lakers are very much willing to send a package centered around their first-round pick, which will allow them to select one of the elite freshmen available in the loaded 2014 NBA Draft.
For now, everything is speculation, but trade rumor will heat up again this summer.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- Manny Pacquiao To Gauge KO Power Against Chris Algieri
- Roger Federer Dedicates 80th Career Title For His Kids
- Arsenal FC: Wenger Satisfied Despite Coming Out with a Draw against Besiktas
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Mehdi Benatia and Alex Song in the Mix as Wenger Looks to 'Strengthen Defensive Department'
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists