NBA Trades 2014: Lakers Preparing To Send Lottery Pick For Kevin Love
By Lou Ramon Aguila | March 31, 2014 3:50 PM EST
The Los Angeles Lakers' patience in their rebuilding efforts is apparently running out. According to sources, the Lakers are planning to use their first-round lottery pick as a trade chip in a trade with Minnesota Timberwolves for All-Star forward Kevin Love.
The Love-to-Lakers rumors caught fire again this weekend following reports about the purple-and-gold front office management plan to use their one remaining trade asset for Love, who could opt out from the final year of his contract at the end of next season.
"The suggestion is already in circulation that the Lakers will attempt to use their forthcoming high lottery pick in June to assemble the sort of trade package that finally convinces the Wolves to part with Love and end the uncertainty that hangs over this franchise even before the 25-year-old enters the final year of his contract."
Though there are reports that the Wolves still have no interest in trading Love despite the possibility of losing him without compensation in 2015. However, things can change quickly once they finally know that Love has no intention of re-signing with his current ball club.
The T-Wolves has plans to change their coaching personnel, with Rick Adelman likely to step out from the final year of his four-year deal. There are speculations the team could trap Iowa State head coach Fred Hoiberg or the return of president for basketball operation Flip Saunders to his coaching duties.
The Wolves last reached the postseason in 2004, the time when Saunders guided the Kevin Garnett-led Wolves to the Western Conference finals.
"The obvious response is Saunders, part-owner as well as team prez, heading downstairs to reclaim his old floor seat to see if he can be the guy who finally brings a halt to the league's longest postseason drought, which dates to the Wolves' 2004 Western Conference finals team coached by Saunders," ESPN reported.
"There is also another textbook candidate out there for Minnesota to chase with long-standing Wolves ties: Iowa State coach Fred Hoiberg."
According to sources, the Lakers are very much willing to send a package centered around their first-round pick, which will allow them to select one of the elite freshmen available in the loaded 2014 NBA Draft.
For now, everything is speculation, but trade rumor will heat up again this summer.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: Spain vs. Iran Preview, Starting Lineups
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Finland Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Wenger's Take on Falcao and Rabiot
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How