Kansas Frosh Joel Embiid Enters NBA Draft
By Lou Ramon Aguila | March 31, 2014 3:49 PM EST
Kansas Jayhawks big man and projected no.1 pick Joel Embiid has reportedly decided to enter his name in the NBA Draft, according to a source close to situation.
"Potential No. 1 overall pick Joel Embiid has decided to enter the draft, sources tell Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports, with a formal announcement to come soon," via Hoops Rumors.
Embiid is considered the most talented big man in the upcoming draft, but a stress fracture in his back that forced him to miss the NCAA tourney has raised red flags for several ball clubs.
"The Kansas freshman center hasn't played since March 1st with a stress fracture in his back. Jayhawks coach Bill Self maintained that Embiid could have played in the later rounds of the NCAA tournament if Kansas had advanced, but NBA teams have some concern about the injury, which will undergo close scrutiny during predraft medical evaluations."
Still, Draft Express board writer Jonathan Givony and ESPN.com Chad Ford rated Embiid as a potential top-pick or a top-three selection in the draft because of his ability to make a big impact on both ends of the floor.
"Embiid was widely considered the slight favorite to become the top pick before the injury. The native of Cameroon is the No. 2 pick on Jonathan Givony's DraftExpress board and Chad Ford of ESPN.com rates him third."
"The 20-year-old is a raw talent and came off the bench for the first eight games of the season, but he has shown vast potential on both sides of the ball. He averaged 11.2 points, 8.1 rebounds and 2.6 blocks in 23.1 minutes per game this year," Hoops Rumors reported.
Embiid was unsure several weeks ago about his future, but the lure of being a top pick in the coming draft might have forced him to take a gamble.
"The 7-footer gave indication in January that he wasn't sure about heading for the draft, but it appears the chance to go in the top three picks, if not first overall, is too appealing to pass up," the site stated.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- 2014 Dancing With The Stars Australia: Former AFL Star David Rodan Declared Winner
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates