Kansas Frosh Joel Embiid Enters NBA Draft
By Lou Ramon Aguila | March 31, 2014 3:49 PM EST
Kansas Jayhawks big man and projected no.1 pick Joel Embiid has reportedly decided to enter his name in the NBA Draft, according to a source close to situation.
"Potential No. 1 overall pick Joel Embiid has decided to enter the draft, sources tell Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports, with a formal announcement to come soon," via Hoops Rumors.
Embiid is considered the most talented big man in the upcoming draft, but a stress fracture in his back that forced him to miss the NCAA tourney has raised red flags for several ball clubs.
"The Kansas freshman center hasn't played since March 1st with a stress fracture in his back. Jayhawks coach Bill Self maintained that Embiid could have played in the later rounds of the NCAA tournament if Kansas had advanced, but NBA teams have some concern about the injury, which will undergo close scrutiny during predraft medical evaluations."
Still, Draft Express board writer Jonathan Givony and ESPN.com Chad Ford rated Embiid as a potential top-pick or a top-three selection in the draft because of his ability to make a big impact on both ends of the floor.
"Embiid was widely considered the slight favorite to become the top pick before the injury. The native of Cameroon is the No. 2 pick on Jonathan Givony's DraftExpress board and Chad Ford of ESPN.com rates him third."
"The 20-year-old is a raw talent and came off the bench for the first eight games of the season, but he has shown vast potential on both sides of the ball. He averaged 11.2 points, 8.1 rebounds and 2.6 blocks in 23.1 minutes per game this year," Hoops Rumors reported.
Embiid was unsure several weeks ago about his future, but the lure of being a top pick in the coming draft might have forced him to take a gamble.
"The 7-footer gave indication in January that he wasn't sure about heading for the draft, but it appears the chance to go in the top three picks, if not first overall, is too appealing to pass up," the site stated.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: Parents of Australian Passenger Want ‘Space Scientists’ to Investigate Crash; Believe in ‘Possibility’ of Survival -- Report
- Childhood Obesity is Strongly Linked With Early Puberty: Study Reveals
- Why Internet of Things is the Next Big Thing for Tech Giants like Samsung, Google and Apple
- Instagram's Newest App Bolt Now Available Exclusively in New Zealand, Singapore and South Africa
- Megan Fox's Weight Loss Aided by Low Carb Paleo Diet: Benefits of the Diet