Kansas Frosh Joel Embiid Enters NBA Draft
By Lou Ramon Aguila | March 31, 2014 3:49 PM EST
Kansas Jayhawks big man and projected no.1 pick Joel Embiid has reportedly decided to enter his name in the NBA Draft, according to a source close to situation.
"Potential No. 1 overall pick Joel Embiid has decided to enter the draft, sources tell Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports, with a formal announcement to come soon," via Hoops Rumors.
Embiid is considered the most talented big man in the upcoming draft, but a stress fracture in his back that forced him to miss the NCAA tourney has raised red flags for several ball clubs.
"The Kansas freshman center hasn't played since March 1st with a stress fracture in his back. Jayhawks coach Bill Self maintained that Embiid could have played in the later rounds of the NCAA tournament if Kansas had advanced, but NBA teams have some concern about the injury, which will undergo close scrutiny during predraft medical evaluations."
Still, Draft Express board writer Jonathan Givony and ESPN.com Chad Ford rated Embiid as a potential top-pick or a top-three selection in the draft because of his ability to make a big impact on both ends of the floor.
"Embiid was widely considered the slight favorite to become the top pick before the injury. The native of Cameroon is the No. 2 pick on Jonathan Givony's DraftExpress board and Chad Ford of ESPN.com rates him third."
"The 20-year-old is a raw talent and came off the bench for the first eight games of the season, but he has shown vast potential on both sides of the ball. He averaged 11.2 points, 8.1 rebounds and 2.6 blocks in 23.1 minutes per game this year," Hoops Rumors reported.
Embiid was unsure several weeks ago about his future, but the lure of being a top pick in the coming draft might have forced him to take a gamble.
"The 7-footer gave indication in January that he wasn't sure about heading for the draft, but it appears the chance to go in the top three picks, if not first overall, is too appealing to pass up," the site stated.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28