Santosh Sivan's 'Inam' Screening to be Stopped from 31 March
By sangeetha seshagiri | March 31, 2014 3:17 PM EST
The screening of the recently-released Tamil film "Inam" will be stopped from Monday (31 March), according to a press release from producer N Lingusamy, who distributed the film in Tamil Nadu under his Thirrupathi Brothers banner.
Directed by notable cinematographer Santosh Sivan, "Inam" is about a group of young Tamil orphans who are caught in war-ravaged Sri Lanka. The film, which hit the screens on 28 March, received positive reviews from critics.
However, "Inam" faced some protests initially, which forced the makers to delete a few scenes and mute some dialogues from the film. But now, the makers have decided to pull the film out of theatres from 31 March.
The decision was taken just hours after Marumalarchi Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (MDMK) chief Vaiko made strong statement saying that "Inam" is against the interest of Eelam Tamils. He also criticized Santosh Sivan for repeatedly portraying LTTE in poor light in his films, reported The New Indian Express. Following the scathing protest, "Inam" makers decided to stop screening the film across the country.
An official statement from Thirrupathi Brothers announced that the film will be removed from theatres from Monday. Lingusamy said that the decision has been taken to avoid any problems and confusion at a time when the elections are nearing.
The "Anjaan" director also added that despite the losses he will incur by removing "Inam" from theatres, he has taken the decision because of his love and respect for the Tamil people and their feelings. To read the press statement in Tamil, click HERE.
While the Tamil version will be stopped screening, the Hindi version titled "Ceylon" is expected not to be pulled from theatres outside Tamil Nadu.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Nov. 24-28, 2014 Plus Additional Spoilers For Dec. 1, 2014: Thanksgiving In Port Charles
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 24 – 28 Plus Thanksgiving Special Spoilers: Someone Returns, Kelly Finds Out About Engagement And More [Videos]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Rick Grimes’ Group To Capture Cops In Episode 7 – ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Major Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Thoughtful in ‘Crossed’
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan
- Australia Ranks 11th In World Ultra Wealth Report As 175 Aussies Amass $440B In 2013