Santosh Sivan's 'Inam' Screening to be Stopped from 31 March
By sangeetha seshagiri | March 31, 2014 3:17 PM EST
The screening of the recently-released Tamil film "Inam" will be stopped from Monday (31 March), according to a press release from producer N Lingusamy, who distributed the film in Tamil Nadu under his Thirrupathi Brothers banner.
Directed by notable cinematographer Santosh Sivan, "Inam" is about a group of young Tamil orphans who are caught in war-ravaged Sri Lanka. The film, which hit the screens on 28 March, received positive reviews from critics.
However, "Inam" faced some protests initially, which forced the makers to delete a few scenes and mute some dialogues from the film. But now, the makers have decided to pull the film out of theatres from 31 March.
The decision was taken just hours after Marumalarchi Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (MDMK) chief Vaiko made strong statement saying that "Inam" is against the interest of Eelam Tamils. He also criticized Santosh Sivan for repeatedly portraying LTTE in poor light in his films, reported The New Indian Express. Following the scathing protest, "Inam" makers decided to stop screening the film across the country.
An official statement from Thirrupathi Brothers announced that the film will be removed from theatres from Monday. Lingusamy said that the decision has been taken to avoid any problems and confusion at a time when the elections are nearing.
The "Anjaan" director also added that despite the losses he will incur by removing "Inam" from theatres, he has taken the decision because of his love and respect for the Tamil people and their feelings. To read the press statement in Tamil, click HERE.
While the Tamil version will be stopped screening, the Hindi version titled "Ceylon" is expected not to be pulled from theatres outside Tamil Nadu.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Bachelorette 2014, Bachelor 2015 Spoilers: Andi Dorfman Hints at Next Bachelor; Find Out What He Thinks About the Job
- Castle Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic says ‘Back in the Saddle’, Beckett, Castle Romance to Grow Stronger
- Selena Gomez & Andre Hamann Update: Andre Calls Selena Stunning, Admits Crush on Singer
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June