Cate Blanchett and Mara Rooney Involved in Car Accident on “Carol” Set
By Jenille Cristy Maido | March 31, 2014 1:57 PM EST
Cate Blanchett and fellow actress Rooney Mara figured in a car accident during filming of their new movie "Carol."
The actresses were in a vintage Dodge car in the Cincinnati shoot. Ms Blanchett was on the driver's seat, taking control of the vehicle. The car is running smoothly until the "Blue Jasmine" actress hit the brakes and found out that it is not functioning. The fear of a possible crash sent the two "screaming at the top of their lungs," according to a Daily Mail UK report.
Cate Blanchett, best actress nominee for her role in "Blue Jasmine," wears a nude Armani gown with metallic embellishments as she arrives at the 86th Academy Awards in Hollywood, California March 2.
Ms Blanchett pumped the pedal as fast as she could but her efforts failed, speeding past the "Carol" crew who went into the side of the road after finishing the shoot. However, the actress' determination to stop the vehicle emerged, and with all her strength pulled the wheel to the right and finally stopped the car.
The vintage Dodge spun on the icy street before slamming into a wooden fence, a source says. The crew clamoured to the actresses' aid and cameraman dialled 911 for assistance. Cate, on the other hand, confirmed to the crew that they (she and Mara) are okay, but the car is not fine.
Cate Blanchett and Rooney Mara are said to be relieved when the director informed them that the take of the scene came out perfect and there is no need for a reshoot.
"Carol" is a lesbian-romance film set in the 1950s New York starring Cate Blanchett and Rooney Mara. Ms Blanchett will play the title role (Carol) in a story of a young woman (Mara) who fell in love with Carol after spotting her in a department store.
Death and accidents while on the middle of the filming is not new among Hollywood actors and actresses. Recent cases are of Philip Seymour Hoffman who had filmed most of his scenes in the "The Hunger Games: Mockingjay" when he was found dead in his apartment; another is the case of Paul Walker who died in a car crash while the "Fast & Furious 7" is still set on production.
Ms Blanchett and Ms Mara's car accident is literally in the "middle" of the filming. Ms Blanchett's presence of mind in such terrifying brake failure, and successfully stopping the car is noteworthy. It is good news that they are both doing well after the incident.
Australian Cate Blanchett made headlines in Oscars 2014 for bringing home the Best Actress award beating Amy Adams, Judi Dench, Sandra Bullock, and Meryl Streep.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 7 Spoilers: Gemma’s World Starts To Crumble in ‘Greensleeves’ [VIDEO]
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Plot Update: Sexy Scenes Revealed, Jamie Dornan Kisses Dakota Johnson In Reshoot
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'NCIS' Season 12, Episode 5 Spoilers: Gibbs' Gut OKs FBI Agent Leia Pendergast; A Favorite Guest Star Returns [Watch NCIS 12x5 Promo Video]
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report