Hip-hop Star Benzino Shot by Nephew on Way to Mother’s Funeral
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | March 31, 2014 12:19 PM EST
Reality hip-hop star Benzino was shot while he was on his way to attend a family funeral on Saturday, March 29. It was his nephew Gai Scott who was accused of shooting him on a Massachusetts highway.
The real name of Benzino is Raymond Scott, and he stars in the VH1 show Love & Hip Hop: Atlanta. Additionally, he is also the CEO of Hip-Hop Weekly. The incident of Benzino having been shot was confirmed by the magazine itself. Benzino was reportedly going to a Plymouth church to attend his mother's funeral.
The 48-year-old hip-hop star was on his way to the funeral. When he was on a south of Boston highway, his nephew pulled alongside to fire several shots at Benzino and his red SUV. Benzino then went out of his car as he was struck in his SUV. One of the passersby took him to the Duxbury police department. Later he was taken to South Shore hospital. Hip-Hop Weekly reported that Benzino was shot in his arm, whereas a bullet grazed his back.
According to a statement by the Plymouth county district attorney's office, Benzino's relation with his 36-year-old nephew was getting edgier. However, New York Daily News reported that police were not sure what exactly provoked Mr Scott to fire at Benzino.
Hip-Hop Weekly later posted photographs of Benzino in stable condition, posing for the camera. The photographs apparently proved that the hip-hop star was doing well. The Guardian mentioned a spokesperson from the South Weymouth hospital who confirmed Benzino's "good condition".
Benzino used to co-own The Source magazine which was a distinguished rap magazine. It encouraged the success of magazines like Vibe and XXL. Benzino left The Source in 2006 before launching Hip-Hop Weekly. His latest brainchild closely follows the lives of urban celebrities of music.
Mr Scott was arrested and charged with assault with intent to murder. He is expected to be placed at the Plymouth district court on Monday, March 31.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- "Game of Thrones" Season 5 Spoilers -- Arya Stark’s New Costume, Mace Tyrell And Tycho Spotted On The Sets
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 19, 2014: Hope Needs To Decide If She Will Stay With Wyatt Or Go With Liam [WATCH VIDEO]
- The Pirate Bay Founder Peter Sunde’s Freedom: Hollywood People Oppose TPB Founder’s Imprisonment
- 'Dancing With The Stars' (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Week 2 Spoilers: Things To Expect; Find Out Which Choreographer Is Quitting
- 'Downton Abbey' Spoilers: 'Surprising New Stories' In Season 5, George Clooney's Cameo Appearance
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Unofficial ‘Samsung Galaxy Alpha’ Can Now Be Purchased For $700 In The US
- Google Now v. Siri v. Cortana – Comparison Of The Three Leading Virtual Assistants
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Sony Xperia E3 vs. Moto G (2014) – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown