Yulia Tymoshenko, the Original Pretty Woman of Ukraine, Plans to Run for President; Boxer Vitali Klitschko Backs Out of Race in Favour of Billionaire Petro Poroshenko
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 31, 2014 10:54 AM EST
All eyes in Russia and Ukraine are on Natalia Poklonskaya, the very pretty new attorney-general of Crimea. However, she may be upstaged soon by Ukraine's original pretty woman who has made a political comeback from jail.
Yulia Tymoshenko, the jailed former Ukrainian Prime Minister, has gone on a hunger strike after refusing medical treatment for an undisclosed issue at a Kharkiv clinic.
Yulia Tymoshenko, former prime minister of Ukraine, said over the weekend that she would run for the presidency. Fresh from her release from prison a few weeks back, the 53-year-old blonde beauty promised to bring Ukraine out of economic and political problems and bring back Crimea, recently annexed by Russia, to Ukraine.
Ms Tymoshenko, who was jailed for over two years on corruption charges linked to signing a natural gas agreement with Russia in 2009, said, quoted by The Sydney Morning Herald, "I think I can create a powerful defence system for the country, create a modern and efficient army and make all necessary steps ... to re-arm our army with the most modern weapons."
She ran in 2010 against former President Viktor Yanukovych who fled the country in February.
The former PM is backed by key members of the Batkivshchyna party such as Oleksandr Tucrchynoc, the parliamentary chairman, and Arseniy Yatsenyuk, the acting prime minister.
Mr Poroshenko was the head of the foreign and economic ministries and funded the public revolution that caused the former president to flee Ukraine.
The latest report, however, said that Mr Klitschko has withdrawn from the race in favour of the billionaire. He will instead run for mayor of Kiev.
Explaining his decision, the boxer said, quoted by Bleacher Report, "We have to nominate a single candidate representing the democratic forces ... This has to be a candidate who enjoys the strongest public support. Today, this candidate in my opinion is Petro Poroshenko."
Mr Poroshenko is leading in pre-election surveys. The election is scheduled on May 25.
The future president of Ukraine, however, has a lot of challenges to face because the country was on the brink of a default were it not for the timely extension by the International Monetary Fund on Thursday of a $14 billion-$18 billion financial amount. The exact amount of assistance depends on a determination of all bilateral and multilateral support being accounted for.
A poll victory by Ms Tymoshenko would be interesting because she would likely cross paths with Ms Poklonskaya as Ukraine attempts to return Crimea to the country. That would then be a battle of beauty and brains which the world would certainly want to witness.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- El Niño Update: 2014 Threat Easing, ‘Unlikely to be a Strong Event’ – Australia BoM
- “Women should not laugh in public” - Turkish Deputy PM says
- Australia Asked National Media to Suppress Multi-National Corruption Case: WikiLeaks
- Opinion Poll in New Zealand Shows National Party Far Ahead in Popular Support
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date