Qantas Frequent Flyers to Earn Points Based on Ticket Price, No Longer Miles Flown
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 31, 2014 9:25 AM EST
Qantas is cutting more corners, and this time those who would be hit by the embattled air carrier's axe are its passengers who belong to the Frequent Flyers Club.
The fresh Qantas-Emirates code-sharing deal could spell the end of the national carrier’s international career, analysts said, in return for strong semblance of profitability on the domestic front.
The changes, announced on Thursday night, are part of Qantas's $2-billion cost-cutting programme spread over three years that would include 5,000 employees who would lose their jobs as well as 26 managers.
Qantas said the changes aim to align the number of points it 9 million Frequent Flyers Club members earn closer with how much fare they paid rather than the miles they have flown. The move is to ensure that travelers who have discounted fare would earn lesser points.
That would translate into the points being halved in some routes like the Australia to London leg where passengers with discounted economy tickets, including sale tickets, would get only 6,200 points versus 12,400 points for those with the pricier flexi-saver ticket.
Also, minimum points guarantee for those on economy and discount economy fares are down to 800 from 1,000 points. It would apply to short-haul routes such as Sydney to Melbourne. But those with flexible economy tickets actually would get higher minimum points guarantee to 1,200 from 1,000, while those in business are also boosted to 1,400 from 1,250.
Michael McCarthy, chief market strategist of CMC Markets, said Qantas customers should brace for more cuts because of the financial pressure on the Flying Roo after it reported $252 million half year loss and as the airline seeks to build its margin.
However, the move could backfire as it could spur loyal customers to fly instead with rival Virgin Australia.
The announcement, understandably angered Frequent Flyer members.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- Man Swindles Apple for $309,768 in 16 States
- Texas Man Selling Condo With ‘Funniest and Most Revealing Ad’
- Toyota Tops World Sales of Cars, Sells Over 5K Million Vehicles in First Half of 2014
- Air New Zealand Pays $1000 to NZ9 Passengers After Three-Night Delay
- Tweens Fool Their Parents Online, McAfee Reports
- These 2 Questions Reveal if You Unwittingly Abuse Alcohol
- Jennifer Lopez and Her Wild 45th Birthday Party: How JLo’s Life-Size Birthday Cake from SamiCakes Boutique Was Made
- Blake Griffin’s Back Injury Is the Reason for His Withdrawal from Team U.S.A.
- Supernatural Season 10 Spoilers: Metatron Capable of Saving Castiel's Fading Grace
- Anderson Silva To Test the Octagon Anew After Freak Leg Injury, To Fight Nick Diaz in 2015