Elton John, David Furnish To Marry In May
By Anne Lu | March 31, 2014 8:42 AM EST
Elton John will be marrying long-time partner David Furnish now that same-sex marriage is recognised in Britain. The music icon and the filmmaker are encouraged to exchange I Do’s after the first gay marriage took place in England and Wales on Saturday.
The couple entered a civil partnership on Dec 21, 2005, the same day as the Civil Partnership Act in Britain came into force. But now that marriage between same-sex couples is now legal in Britain, John and Furnish are ready to take their civil union to the next level.
“We don’t feel the need to take an extra step legally,” Furnish told the Las Vegas Review Journal. “But since we’re committed for life, we feel it’s really important to take that step, and take advantage of that amazing change in legislation. We all live by example.”
A modest wedding isn’t exactly what people would expect from the couple, especially since they are known to throw the most extravagant parties in the industry. However, Furnish said that having children has changed them somehow.
“We do like big parties. Over eight years ago, we had 650 people on the 21st of December at our house in Windsor,” he said. “But with the kids, everything is different. I think what we’ll do is go to a registry office in England in May, and take the boys with us, and a couple of witnesses.”
John and Furnish raise two sons together, four-year-old Zachary and one-year-old Elijah, both born via a surrogate.
On Saturday, Britain made history as it held same-sex marriage ceremonies for the first time. Prime Minister David Cameron hailed the ceremonies in England and Wales as sending a “powerful message” of equality.
“This weekend is an important moment for our country. For the first time, the couples getting married won’t just include men and women – but men and men; and women and women,” Mr Cameron wrote on PinkNews.
“The introduction of same-sex civil marriage says something about the sort of country we are. It says we are a country that will continue to honour its proud traditions of respect, tolerance and equal worth. It also sends a powerful message to young people growing up who are uncertain about their sexuality. It clearly says ‘you are equal’ whether straight or gay.”
The battle for the legalisation of same-sex marriage isn’t complete in the UK yet. Although England and Wales have taken the first step in recognising gay marriages, Northern Ireland stated that it will not follow. Scotland has given the green light to introduce gay marriages in February.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation