Elton John, David Furnish To Marry In May
By Anne Lu | March 31, 2014 8:42 AM EST
Elton John will be marrying long-time partner David Furnish now that same-sex marriage is recognised in Britain. The music icon and the filmmaker are encouraged to exchange I Do’s after the first gay marriage took place in England and Wales on Saturday.
The couple entered a civil partnership on Dec 21, 2005, the same day as the Civil Partnership Act in Britain came into force. But now that marriage between same-sex couples is now legal in Britain, John and Furnish are ready to take their civil union to the next level.
“We don’t feel the need to take an extra step legally,” Furnish told the Las Vegas Review Journal. “But since we’re committed for life, we feel it’s really important to take that step, and take advantage of that amazing change in legislation. We all live by example.”
A modest wedding isn’t exactly what people would expect from the couple, especially since they are known to throw the most extravagant parties in the industry. However, Furnish said that having children has changed them somehow.
“We do like big parties. Over eight years ago, we had 650 people on the 21st of December at our house in Windsor,” he said. “But with the kids, everything is different. I think what we’ll do is go to a registry office in England in May, and take the boys with us, and a couple of witnesses.”
John and Furnish raise two sons together, four-year-old Zachary and one-year-old Elijah, both born via a surrogate.
On Saturday, Britain made history as it held same-sex marriage ceremonies for the first time. Prime Minister David Cameron hailed the ceremonies in England and Wales as sending a “powerful message” of equality.
“This weekend is an important moment for our country. For the first time, the couples getting married won’t just include men and women – but men and men; and women and women,” Mr Cameron wrote on PinkNews.
“The introduction of same-sex civil marriage says something about the sort of country we are. It says we are a country that will continue to honour its proud traditions of respect, tolerance and equal worth. It also sends a powerful message to young people growing up who are uncertain about their sexuality. It clearly says ‘you are equal’ whether straight or gay.”
The battle for the legalisation of same-sex marriage isn’t complete in the UK yet. Although England and Wales have taken the first step in recognising gay marriages, Northern Ireland stated that it will not follow. Scotland has given the green light to introduce gay marriages in February.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- "Game of Thrones" Season 5 Spoilers -- Arya Stark’s New Costume, Mace Tyrell And Tycho Spotted On The Sets
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 19, 2014: Hope Needs To Decide If She Will Stay With Wyatt Or Go With Liam [WATCH VIDEO]
- The Pirate Bay Founder Peter Sunde’s Freedom: Hollywood People Oppose TPB Founder’s Imprisonment
- 'Dancing With The Stars' (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Week 2 Spoilers: Things To Expect; Find Out Which Choreographer Is Quitting
- 'Downton Abbey' Spoilers: 'Surprising New Stories' In Season 5, George Clooney's Cameo Appearance
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Unofficial ‘Samsung Galaxy Alpha’ Can Now Be Purchased For $700 In The US
- Google Now v. Siri v. Cortana – Comparison Of The Three Leading Virtual Assistants
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Sony Xperia E3 vs. Moto G (2014) – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown