Malaysian Airline Flight MH370: Kiwi Victim Paul Weeks’ Wife ‘Sickened’ By Text Message
By Anne Lu | March 31, 2014 6:50 AM EST
Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 Kiwi victim Paul Weeks’ wife was “sickened” over the text message the airline sent the families of the passengers. Danica Weeks recounted her heartbreak after learning that the plane went missing earlier in March.
In an interview with “60 Minutes” from her Perth home, Ms Weeks said that she was outraged over the text message the Malaysian Airlines sent to inform her about her husband’s death.
“I didn’t handle it. Just sickened, sickened that someone would actually send me a text message to say that my loved one was dead,” she said.
She wasn’t alone in her sentiment, though. The airline has been criticised over the apparent callous manner in which they had informed the families of the victims the sad news.
After weeks of agonising wait, family members of the passengers of the doomed flight were distraught after the airline told them that it was “beyond reasonable doubt” that the passengers were killed via a text message.
The SMS message read: “Malaysian Airlines deeply regrets that we have to assume beyond any reasonable doubt that MH370 has been lost and that none of those on board survived. As you will hear in the next hour from Malaysia’s Prime Minister, we must now accept all evidence suggests the plane went down in the Southern Indian Ocean.”
Ms Weeks also told “60 Minutes” how close she was from her husband at the time that plane was estimated to have crashed on March 8.
“So close,” she said. “I would have been out at the shops at the time. I was in Perth merrily going along our family way while he was crashing into the ocean.”
Mr Weeks was flying to Mongolia for a new job. He left two sons with her, 3-year-old Lincoln and 11-month-old Jack.
“When you look into your childnre’s eyes and I feel the pain because I know they’re going to miss out on for the rest of their lives. That is so overwhelming. When I look at Lincoln I have to tell him his dad has gone.”
MH370 Crash: Indian Ocean ‘Nightmare’ for Search Operatives but Search On till Hope is Gone, PM says
MH370 Search: 122 Debris Linked to Missing Aircraft
To contact the editor, e-mail: