Jeremy Lin Faces Make-or-Break Situation as Starter for Houston Rockets
By Lou Ramon Aguila | March 31, 2014 3:42 AM EST
Houston Rockets point guard Jeremy Lin finally gained a shot to prove what he's really made of, after he got the nod from the coaching staff to fill the void left by Patrick Beverley, who reportedly suffered a season-ending knee injury.
Jeremy Lin is featured in the latest "This is SportsCenter" commercial.
Lin, who is logging not more than 25 minutes per game this month, will have the playing time of a starter since his January eruption. However, the pressure will also dramatically increase, as the Rockets look to a big push towards the postseason.
"Houston guard Patrick Beverley has suffered a torn meniscus in his knee, league sources tell Yahoo Sports. Timetable for return unclear," Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports reported.
Beverley has been one of the Rockets' defensive weapons in the backcourt, and a potentially season-ending injury could really hurt the team, especially their depth in the point guard spot. He will have a second opinion on Monday, but the likeliness he returns just in time for the playoffs is very remote.
"McHale said Pat was at the Dr but he'd be out a bit. He really didn't have much info. Pat is scheduled for 2nd opinion on Monday #Rockets," Comcast SportsNet's Adam Wexler posted on his Twitter account.
With the Rockets on the brink of losing their starting point guard for the remainder of the season, coach Kevin McHale and his coaching staff will try to integrate Lin into the starting lineup - the role he had last year.
As the Rockets sixth man player, Lin showed improvement across different statistical categories. The former Harvard hot shot has become a more efficient shooter at 45.3 percent from the field and three-point bomber at 34 percent. He is also shooting better from the charity stripe at 81 percent, while averaging 12 points and 4 dimes per game in his second season with the ballclub.
But with the Rockets needing their most reliable bench player to step up, it's uncertain if Lin could handle the pressure as the premier point guard for the championship-aspiring team. The Rockets have already lost Aaron Brooks after trading him for Jordan Hamilton last month, and Isiah Canaan might not be a pretty solid option to back up Lin.
In short, Lin has no choice but to jack up his numbers in the final weeks of the regular-season. With his future with the Rockets uncertain, the Asian American star has to prove that he's worth $15 million next season.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News: Pacquiao And Mayweather Might Meet 'In The First Six Months Of Next Year' - Bob Arum
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Considers Ditching Jessica Sanchez To Sing Philippine National Anthem In Favour Of Born-Again Pastors; Stallone & Schwarzenegger to Watch Bout
- Michael Phelps' Lover Reveals She Was Born Intersex In Lengthy Facebook Post
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports