World Candidates Tournament Where to Watch Live: Viswanathan Anand's Lead Sets up Rematch with Magnus Carlsen for World Title
By Shruthi SU | March 30, 2014 10:01 PM EST
It is Viswanathan Anand vs Magnus Carlsen for the world title contest making it a rematch of last year. This was a comeback as Indians were waiting for and the critics were sceptic about, but it has happened - Anand leads the Candidates points table.
Anand took on Russia's Sergei Karjakin in round 13 to finish with a draw and eight points in total. The second placed Vladimir Kramnik and four others with him have 6.5 points each making it rather difficult to catch up with the Indian Grand Master. The five-time world champion will face another Russian - Peter Svidler - in the final round of the tournament.
"I won't deny," 44-year-old Anand said of his title win. "This result is one of the most pleasant surprises that I have had recently."
After having lost to Carlsen in Chennai last year, this was an important tournament for Anand. He'll face the Norwegian in November in a city yet to be announced.
"It's hard to say if Anand is playing any better than he played against me," Carlsen told in a webcast during Candidates round 13. "But then, Chennai was different kind of a game. He is more pragmatic in his approach, maybe too pragmatic at times. The draw against (Dmitry) Andreikin in the 12th round is an example. But his decisions are consistent with his play and approach of attaining equality."
Where to Watch Live
Round 14 matches:
Levon Aronian (ARM) vs Sergey Karjakin (RUS)
Viswanathan Anand (IND) vs Peter Svidler (RUS)
Shakhriyar Mamedyarov (AZE) vs Vladimir Kramnik (RUS)
Veselin Topalov (BUL) vs Dmitry Andreikin (RUS)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan
- Eurozone Indicators Forewarn Imminent Recession: Germany's Manufacturing Sector Slows