World Candidates Tournament Where to Watch Live: Viswanathan Anand's Lead Sets up Rematch with Magnus Carlsen for World Title
By Shruthi SU | March 30, 2014 10:01 PM EST
It is Viswanathan Anand vs Magnus Carlsen for the world title contest making it a rematch of last year. This was a comeback as Indians were waiting for and the critics were sceptic about, but it has happened - Anand leads the Candidates points table.
Anand took on Russia's Sergei Karjakin in round 13 to finish with a draw and eight points in total. The second placed Vladimir Kramnik and four others with him have 6.5 points each making it rather difficult to catch up with the Indian Grand Master. The five-time world champion will face another Russian - Peter Svidler - in the final round of the tournament.
"I won't deny," 44-year-old Anand said of his title win. "This result is one of the most pleasant surprises that I have had recently."
After having lost to Carlsen in Chennai last year, this was an important tournament for Anand. He'll face the Norwegian in November in a city yet to be announced.
"It's hard to say if Anand is playing any better than he played against me," Carlsen told in a webcast during Candidates round 13. "But then, Chennai was different kind of a game. He is more pragmatic in his approach, maybe too pragmatic at times. The draw against (Dmitry) Andreikin in the 12th round is an example. But his decisions are consistent with his play and approach of attaining equality."
Where to Watch Live
Round 14 matches:
Levon Aronian (ARM) vs Sergey Karjakin (RUS)
Viswanathan Anand (IND) vs Peter Svidler (RUS)
Shakhriyar Mamedyarov (AZE) vs Vladimir Kramnik (RUS)
Veselin Topalov (BUL) vs Dmitry Andreikin (RUS)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- NFL Week 3: Washington Redskins Vs. Philadelphia Eagles Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Manchester United Transfer News: Van Gaal Hits Back At Guardiola Claiming Every Player He Spoke To Wants Old Trafford Move
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border
- Xiaomi Mi4 v. Moto X (2014) – Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown