Gudi Padwa: What is the Significance of this Auspicious Festival?
By sangeetha seshagiri | March 30, 2014 9:12 PM EST
Gudi Padwa, which marks the beginning of the Hindu New Year, will be celebrated in Maharashtra on 31 March.
Gudi Padwa is celebrated on the first day of the Chaitra month in the Hindu calendar and the festival also marks the beginning of the spring season.
Besides Maharashtra, the auspicious festival is celebrated in other states including Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka. In both these states, the festival is called as Ugadi or Yugadi. The Sindhi community celebrates Cheti Chand on this day.
Histrory of Gudi Padwa
According to Hindu mythology, Gudi Padwa marks the day when Lord Brahma started the process of creating the universe. It is also said that Lord Rama killed Ravana and returned victoriously to Ayodhya on this day.
What is the Significance of Gudi Padwa?
People celebrate the festival by hoisting the gudi, a bamboo stick covered with a silk cloth. A copper pot is placed inverted above the cloth. The gudi is decorated with mango tree twigs, neem leaves, flower garland and sugar sweet garland. It is hoisted atop doors on the day of the occasion of the New Year.
The main door is decorated with garlands and torans. Beautiful rangoli designs are drawn in front of the door for the auspicious occasion.
On the day of Gudi Padwa, people rise up early in the morning and get dressed up in traditional attires. They install the gudi and offer prayers and it is believed that worshipping the gudi brings in happiness, good health, wealth and prosperity. In south, Ugadi is celebrated by doing some rituals and then visiting temples.
Delicacies like puran poli, shrikhand puri and chana ussal are prepared and served on this day. In Andhra Pradesh, people prepare a special dish called bobbattu and in Karnataka, they make holige.
They also do a lot of shopping on the occasion of Gudi Padwa and buy gold ornaments, silver items, new clothes and other stuff.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Japanese Whalers End Pacific Hunt with 115 Whales Dead and No Disruption from Sea Shepherd
- Viral Video Cyring Sadie: 5-Year-Old Little Girl Does Not Want Her Baby Brother to Grow Up [WATCH VIDEO]
- New Zealand Drafts IWC Resolution to Stop Japanese Whalers from Hunting in 2015
- Pacific Islands Forum Delegates Appeal for Changes to Climate Policies, Better Marine Life Protection
- 'Watch the MH17 Plane Missile Hit Video Tape in Mobile' Goes Viral on Facebook
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date