Gudi Padwa: What is the Significance of this Auspicious Festival?
By sangeetha seshagiri | March 30, 2014 9:12 PM EST
Gudi Padwa, which marks the beginning of the Hindu New Year, will be celebrated in Maharashtra on 31 March.
Gudi Padwa is celebrated on the first day of the Chaitra month in the Hindu calendar and the festival also marks the beginning of the spring season.
Besides Maharashtra, the auspicious festival is celebrated in other states including Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka. In both these states, the festival is called as Ugadi or Yugadi. The Sindhi community celebrates Cheti Chand on this day.
Histrory of Gudi Padwa
According to Hindu mythology, Gudi Padwa marks the day when Lord Brahma started the process of creating the universe. It is also said that Lord Rama killed Ravana and returned victoriously to Ayodhya on this day.
What is the Significance of Gudi Padwa?
People celebrate the festival by hoisting the gudi, a bamboo stick covered with a silk cloth. A copper pot is placed inverted above the cloth. The gudi is decorated with mango tree twigs, neem leaves, flower garland and sugar sweet garland. It is hoisted atop doors on the day of the occasion of the New Year.
The main door is decorated with garlands and torans. Beautiful rangoli designs are drawn in front of the door for the auspicious occasion.
On the day of Gudi Padwa, people rise up early in the morning and get dressed up in traditional attires. They install the gudi and offer prayers and it is believed that worshipping the gudi brings in happiness, good health, wealth and prosperity. In south, Ugadi is celebrated by doing some rituals and then visiting temples.
Delicacies like puran poli, shrikhand puri and chana ussal are prepared and served on this day. In Andhra Pradesh, people prepare a special dish called bobbattu and in Karnataka, they make holige.
They also do a lot of shopping on the occasion of Gudi Padwa and buy gold ornaments, silver items, new clothes and other stuff.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- UEFA Champions League Draw Result and Replay: Arsenal Joins Toughest Group, Cristiano Ronaldo Named Best Player In Europe [PHOTOS and VIDEO]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- Ebola Virus 'Rapidly Mutating' as Research Finds Almost 400 Mutations; International Aid Moves at a Snail's Pace
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos Leak Raises Doubts on Apple's iCloud; How to Secure Apple ID
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans