Earth Hour 2014: Iconic Structures Switch Off Lights in India [PHOTOS]
By sangeetha seshagiri | March 30, 2014 7:14 PM EST
Earth Hour 2014 was observed across the globe on 29 March 2014.
Millions of people worldwide switched of their lights during the Earth Hour, between 8.30 pm and 9.30 pm local time, as part of an annual global environmental campaign to raise awareness about energy use and conservation.
Earth Hour, organised by the World Wildlife Fund for Nature (WWF), originated in Australia in 2007, so as to create awareness about carbon pollution. Since then, several countries have taken part in the initiative and is observed every year on the last Saturday of March.
India joined the Earth Hour movement in 2009 when "5 million Indians across 56 cities showed their support by switching off non-essential lights and saving approximately 1,000 MW of power in one hour," according to the Earth Hour India's website.
In 2012, the movement witnessed the biggest ever public participation in India, where Hundred and fifty cities and 10,00,000 students volunteered to take part in the event.
Last year, New Delhi was announced as India's Earth Hour National Capital 2013 in the Earth Hour City Challenge. As part of the initiative, dance performances, candlelit marches, musical evenings and signature campaigns were organised to promote renewable energy.
This year too, Earth Hour was observed across various cities in India. Lights of illuminated monuments such as Gateway of India, Mumbai, India Gate in New Delhi, the Howrah Bridge in Kolkata, the Chhatrapathi Shivaji Terminus railway station in Mumbai and the presidential palace Rashtrapati Bhavan in New Delhi plunged into darkness during the Earth Hour.
Hotels and corporate houses also took part in the movement by switching off the lights. The WWF had also organised a concert "Jam for the Hour" that had performances by bands like Faridkot at Dilli Haat.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Taking a Time Off in August Amidst Miscarriage & Adopting a Child Claims
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- 15 Orgasms/Week, $27K/Yr Salary Not Bad for Professional Toy Tester Cara Houiellebecq (VIDEO)
- Thai’s Crackdown on Commercial Surrogacy Exposes Aussie Couple’s Appalling Deed
- 2014 Perseid Meteor Shower vs. Supermoon: Best to View Meteor Shower Display before August 12 to 13 Peak
- Australian Wanted Man Threatens Terror in Australia, Demands Release of Muslim Prisoners
- U.S. Woman Wins $66 Million in Lottery
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Ahead of iPhone 6 Sept 2014 Debut; Specced-Up but Remains Plastic-Wrapped – Reports
- LG G2 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Guide: When to Hit Your Region and How to Install
- Update Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini with Android 4.4.2 KitKat
- LG G3 To Debut Moon Violet and Burgundy Red Shades in August; Upcoming LG Devices Roundup