Earth Hour 2014: Iconic Structures Switch Off Lights in India [PHOTOS]
By sangeetha seshagiri | March 30, 2014 7:14 PM EST
Earth Hour 2014 was observed across the globe on 29 March 2014.
Millions of people worldwide switched of their lights during the Earth Hour, between 8.30 pm and 9.30 pm local time, as part of an annual global environmental campaign to raise awareness about energy use and conservation.
Earth Hour, organised by the World Wildlife Fund for Nature (WWF), originated in Australia in 2007, so as to create awareness about carbon pollution. Since then, several countries have taken part in the initiative and is observed every year on the last Saturday of March.
India joined the Earth Hour movement in 2009 when "5 million Indians across 56 cities showed their support by switching off non-essential lights and saving approximately 1,000 MW of power in one hour," according to the Earth Hour India's website.
In 2012, the movement witnessed the biggest ever public participation in India, where Hundred and fifty cities and 10,00,000 students volunteered to take part in the event.
Last year, New Delhi was announced as India's Earth Hour National Capital 2013 in the Earth Hour City Challenge. As part of the initiative, dance performances, candlelit marches, musical evenings and signature campaigns were organised to promote renewable energy.
This year too, Earth Hour was observed across various cities in India. Lights of illuminated monuments such as Gateway of India, Mumbai, India Gate in New Delhi, the Howrah Bridge in Kolkata, the Chhatrapathi Shivaji Terminus railway station in Mumbai and the presidential palace Rashtrapati Bhavan in New Delhi plunged into darkness during the Earth Hour.
Hotels and corporate houses also took part in the movement by switching off the lights. The WWF had also organised a concert "Jam for the Hour" that had performances by bands like Faridkot at Dilli Haat.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Immediate Deaths After Ice Bucket Challenge Are Hoaxes Gone Viral: Neck Injury And Hypothermia Killed Two People Performing The Stunt
- Risky Selfies That Were Taken A Few Seconds Before Tragedy Struck
- ISIS Update: Executioner of James Foley with British Accent Identified as ‘John’
- Viral Video Missouri Mall: Back-To-School Promo Of East Hills Mall In Missouri Goes Viral As Terrible Mall Ad [WATCH VIDEO]
- ISIS Beheading US Journalist James Foley Sparks Outrage, Netizens Demand 'All-Out War'
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists