Earth Hour 2014: Iconic Structures Switch Off Lights in India [PHOTOS]
By sangeetha seshagiri | March 30, 2014 7:14 PM EST
Earth Hour 2014 was observed across the globe on 29 March 2014.
Millions of people worldwide switched of their lights during the Earth Hour, between 8.30 pm and 9.30 pm local time, as part of an annual global environmental campaign to raise awareness about energy use and conservation.
Earth Hour, organised by the World Wildlife Fund for Nature (WWF), originated in Australia in 2007, so as to create awareness about carbon pollution. Since then, several countries have taken part in the initiative and is observed every year on the last Saturday of March.
India joined the Earth Hour movement in 2009 when "5 million Indians across 56 cities showed their support by switching off non-essential lights and saving approximately 1,000 MW of power in one hour," according to the Earth Hour India's website.
In 2012, the movement witnessed the biggest ever public participation in India, where Hundred and fifty cities and 10,00,000 students volunteered to take part in the event.
Last year, New Delhi was announced as India's Earth Hour National Capital 2013 in the Earth Hour City Challenge. As part of the initiative, dance performances, candlelit marches, musical evenings and signature campaigns were organised to promote renewable energy.
This year too, Earth Hour was observed across various cities in India. Lights of illuminated monuments such as Gateway of India, Mumbai, India Gate in New Delhi, the Howrah Bridge in Kolkata, the Chhatrapathi Shivaji Terminus railway station in Mumbai and the presidential palace Rashtrapati Bhavan in New Delhi plunged into darkness during the Earth Hour.
Hotels and corporate houses also took part in the movement by switching off the lights. The WWF had also organised a concert "Jam for the Hour" that had performances by bands like Faridkot at Dilli Haat.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Wants To Have A Big Family With ‘Five Children’ At Anmer Hall Residence- Reports
- ISIS European Teen Jihadists Allegedly Pregnant; New Zealand Silent On Kiwi Jihadist's Request To Return Home
- New Zealand Scientists Dissect Well-Preserved Female Colossal Squid [VIDEO]
- ISIS Murder Videos 'Turning On' Foreign Jihadists To Fight US and Britain [VIDEO]
- This Model Thinks She Is A Bombshell After Plastic Surgery Costing £30,000 Makes Her Look Like A Sex Toy
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Who Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers