Samsung Galaxy S3 Now Included to Android 4.4 KitKat Upgrade Plan with Galaxy Note 2; 1 GB RAM Model Exempted?
By Ryan Inoyori | March 30, 2014 2:56 PM EST
Samsung U.S. has posted the latest highlights and recipients of Android 4.4 KitKat software upgrade. It includes the Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note 2 among several devices receiving another major update but not every model. The 1GB Galaxy S3 model is rumoured to be an exemption for the update.
The Galaxy S3 was considered future-proof but now its hardware components reached aging point that not all variants of the yesteryear flagship smartphone are receiving Android 4.4 KitKat update.
Sprint enlisted Galaxy S3 as part of the upgrade plans for Android KitKat along with Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy S4 Mini and Galaxy Mega. U.S. variant of Galaxy S3 features 2 GB of RAM which also 4G/LTE capable that makes more sense to update compared to the GT-I9300 model.
Update Window Period
Another reason aside from hardware compatible is the 18-month update window period followed by Samsung. Galaxy S3 GT-I9305 was released back in September 2012 and if you count 18 months, software support expires in March 2014.
Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 was released back in May 2012 and already reached its expiration for any further upgrade plans. Owners of the I9300 model will have to upgrade to S4 or stick with Android 4.3 Jelly Bean forever unless custom ROMs are used to update it.
Contrast with Galaxy Note 2
It sounds discriminating on part of Galaxy S3 I9300 users not having Android KitKat update but Galaxy Note 2 backs up the update window period for that model. Galaxy Note 2 was released around the time as with Galaxy S3 GT-I9305 and remains eligible to get another major update in April even though the software support already expired this month which will be its final firmware upgrade.
Samsung Official Post
Official update page from Samsung did not detail which Galaxy S3 variants are receiving Android 4.4 KitKat and simply noted the device's name. Here is the list of Samsung Galaxy devices scheduled to receive the firmware for the first half of 2014.
1. Galaxy S4 - AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile and Verizon
2. Galaxy Note 3- AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile and Verizon
3. Galaxy S4 Refresh from Sprint
4. Galaxy S4 Active
5. Galaxy Mega
6. Galaxy S4 Mini
7. Galaxy Tab 3
8. Galaxy S3
9. Galaxy S4 Zoom
10. Galaxy S3 Mini
11. Galaxy Light
12. Galaxy Note 8.0
13. Galaxy Note 10.1
14. Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition
15. Galaxy Note 2
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Motorola Droid Turbo v. Sony Xperia Z3: Camera Details, Battery Life And Durability
- ‘GTA V': 1.18 Update, Zombie DLC Release Date To Welcome Halloween
- Motorola Droid Turbo vs. Samsung Galaxy S5: Apps And Services, Camera Features, Battery Life And Durability
- Google Nexus 6 Sold-Out Inventory: Android 5.0, Motorola-Nexus Branding, Network Carriers, Competitive Price
- ‘Destiny' Leaks Reveal Redesigned Ships, New Armour, Sparrow Shaders
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight