Samsung Galaxy S3 Now Included to Android 4.4 KitKat Upgrade Plan with Galaxy Note 2; 1 GB RAM Model Exempted?
By Ryan Inoyori | March 30, 2014 2:56 PM EST
Samsung U.S. has posted the latest highlights and recipients of Android 4.4 KitKat software upgrade. It includes the Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note 2 among several devices receiving another major update but not every model. The 1GB Galaxy S3 model is rumoured to be an exemption for the update.
The Galaxy S3 was considered future-proof but now its hardware components reached aging point that not all variants of the yesteryear flagship smartphone are receiving Android 4.4 KitKat update.
Sprint enlisted Galaxy S3 as part of the upgrade plans for Android KitKat along with Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy S4 Mini and Galaxy Mega. U.S. variant of Galaxy S3 features 2 GB of RAM which also 4G/LTE capable that makes more sense to update compared to the GT-I9300 model.
Update Window Period
Another reason aside from hardware compatible is the 18-month update window period followed by Samsung. Galaxy S3 GT-I9305 was released back in September 2012 and if you count 18 months, software support expires in March 2014.
Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 was released back in May 2012 and already reached its expiration for any further upgrade plans. Owners of the I9300 model will have to upgrade to S4 or stick with Android 4.3 Jelly Bean forever unless custom ROMs are used to update it.
Contrast with Galaxy Note 2
It sounds discriminating on part of Galaxy S3 I9300 users not having Android KitKat update but Galaxy Note 2 backs up the update window period for that model. Galaxy Note 2 was released around the time as with Galaxy S3 GT-I9305 and remains eligible to get another major update in April even though the software support already expired this month which will be its final firmware upgrade.
Samsung Official Post
Official update page from Samsung did not detail which Galaxy S3 variants are receiving Android 4.4 KitKat and simply noted the device's name. Here is the list of Samsung Galaxy devices scheduled to receive the firmware for the first half of 2014.
1. Galaxy S4 - AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile and Verizon
2. Galaxy Note 3- AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile and Verizon
3. Galaxy S4 Refresh from Sprint
4. Galaxy S4 Active
5. Galaxy Mega
6. Galaxy S4 Mini
7. Galaxy Tab 3
8. Galaxy S3
9. Galaxy S4 Zoom
10. Galaxy S3 Mini
11. Galaxy Light
12. Galaxy Note 8.0
13. Galaxy Note 10.1
14. Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition
15. Galaxy Note 2
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update for Moto X Reported With Poor Battery Life; Six Ways to Resolve the Issue
- Destiny Beta Now into Maintenance; Xbox One Version Prepped for 1080p in Final Run
- Samsung Galaxy S5: Logitech Unveils Protection+ Case Accessory for Android Smartphone
- PS4 News: Developments for Uncharted 4, The Last of Us Remastered and a Possible New PS4/PS Vita Game
- Sony Xperia Z Android 4.4.2 KitKat Problems and Solutions: Battery Drain, Slow Performance, Overheating, Sound Bug and SD Card
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added