5.5-Inch iPhone 6 on Release Date with 2K Display Resolution & 538ppi Confirmed for Sept 2014 Rollout?
By Erik Pineda | March 30, 2014 12:22 PM EST
Apple is upsizing the iPhone 6 on release date and chances are there will be two screen size models that consumers can choose from - a 4.7-inch regular build and a phablet-like edition that will boast of a 5-5-inch display panel, new reports said.
More voices were added to the snowballing iPhone 6 discourse, its 2014 release date supposedly gaining more ground as a new render and fresh details defining the hotly-anticipated handset came out.
The same device, according to CNET, is endowed with 538 pixels per inch and will serve as replacement for the iPhone 5C. CNET based its assumption on reports that Japan Display will start shipping out 5.5-inch LCD display anytime in April purportedly for the manufacturing requirements of a major smartphone maker.
Seemingly supporting the possibility of two iPhone 6 models is the diagram drawings that according to MacRumors were published by MacFan, an Apple-focused magazine based in Japan. The schematics showed the two iPhones with "a flat, bezel-free device with rectangle-shaped volume controls like those found on the current iPhone 5c, as well as a camera with a single LED-flash on the rear."
The graphics obtained by MacRumors (viewable here) also revealed the planned handsets with this specific body-build dimension: 137x66 mm and 7.0 mm thick for the flagship variant and 157x77 mm and just 6.7 mm thick for the iPhone 5C successor.
One likely design imperfection cited by MacRumors is the device's protruding rear camera lenses, mainly due to their very thin body profile.
As expected, Apple is mum on the new developments but a DigiTimes report on Friday somehow backed the Japan Display revelation first provided by CNET.
"Japan Display has begun mass producing WQHD (2,560 by 1,440) panels and is expected to begin shipments in April 2014," said the Taiwanese publication, which has previously leaked out Apple devices scoops that were sourced from supply chain insiders.
The DigiTimes report is aligned with the Japan Display's specifics - that the bigger iPhone 6 will sport a 5.5-inch screen 538ppi.
Apple watchers read the reports as merely echoing the projections earlier offered by analysts - that the tech giant will replicate the approach it introduced last year and push out two iPhone models to address emerging market adjustments and remain on top of the mobile device food chain.
The move is also seen as Apple making strong statement that its arsenal remains stockpiled with innovation and is still on course for further growth.
Last week, analysts have forecasted that a large-screen iPhone 6, stuffed with fresh killer features, will become another Apple blockbuster despite indications that it will be pricier by $100 from previous builds.
It is anticipated too that the twin iPhone 6 models will feature a 64-bit A8 CPU, a Liquidmetal casing and sapphire glass coating for extra sturdiness and iOS 8 on their September 2014 release date.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]