Apple Release Round Up: 12-inch MacBook Air, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2 and More
By Precious Silva | March 30, 2014 10:32 AM EST
Following Samsung's series of releases, it now boils down to what Apple has in store. Whereas the rivalry started with patent wars, both companies have been pitted against each other especially with similar product releases. According to recent reports, Apple will have several major product launches later this year. These include the iPhone 6, a 12-inch MacBook Air and Pro plus the iPad Air 2. Should they be worth the wait? Can Apple walk away as a winner?
Apple Inc CEO Tim Cook speaks about the new iPad Air and the iPad mini with Retnia display during an Apple event in San Francisco, California October 22, 2013.
Analysts and sources like KGI Securities and NPD Display Reserch remain convinced about the release of a 12-inch MacBook. It is not clear yet if Apple will go for a simple Macbook Air or do it with a MacBook Air Retina but more analysts favor the 12-inch MacBook Air. It is about time the Air line gets a Retina treatment. CNET summarizes a list of things to expect from the next MacBook lineup:
- Hybrid - most tech manufacturers push for a fanless design to promote a glass framework and not just with a keyboard.
- A series processor - the company's iPhone, iPad Air and iPad Mini Retina lines all feature an A7 processor. It will not be long for the MacBook line to be the same.
According to NPD DisplaySearch, the upcoming laptop line may feature a 12-inch 2,304x1,440 display nailing the Retina technology.
According to a report by Nikkei, the iPhone 6 will indeed come in two variants: 4.7 and 5.5 inches. There are also reports about the iPhone 6 launching with the iOS 8. According to IGN, the iOS 8 will be focuing onf fitness with an improved Maps app. It was also previously reported that Apple will include a sapphire glass and oleophobic coating on the device to make it smudge or scratch free. Apple will release the iPhone 6 around September.
iPad Air 2
Design and Trend reported that the iPad Air 2 can be considered as the next best upgade of the iPad line. Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities noted: "We believe Apple plans to launch upgraded iPad Air early this year, and will accelerate development of 12.9-inch iPad."
"As such, more resources will be allocated to these two products, which will affect the progress of the development of new iPad mini. All told, we think chances of the debut of a new iPad mini in 2H14 are slim. In addition, the 12.9-inch iPad is unlikely to be offered in 2014. For these reasons, we predict the only new iPad product in 2H14 will be the upgraded iPad Air." Kuo added.
The iPad Pro on the other hand will launch in 2015.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports