Los Angeles Earthquake: After Magnitude 5.1 and Eight Aftershocks, Larger Quake Possible [Photos]
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | March 29, 2014 6:04 PM EST
A 5.1 magnitude earthquake rattled suburban Los Angeles on Friday night, shaking a swath of Southern California and instilling panic among residents that the temblor could be a harbinger of a larger quake.
After a 5.1 magnitude earthquake rattled suburban Los Angeles and Southern California on Friday night, larger quakes are possible, USGS has said. (Picture Twitter Screen Grab via Maria)
The 5.1 magnitude quake has been one among many other temblors that has hit the region, raising fears that the region could be hit by a few higher magnitude quakes.
The spate of earthquakes began at 8:03 pm when a 3.6 tremor hit the area. That was to be a foreshock of the largest earthquake to hit at 9:09pm local time which was at magnitude 5.1. At least eight other aftershocks of smaller magnitude shave been registered by the USGS in the area - three of them being more than 3.0 in magnitude.
— Marga Gomez (@MargaGomez) March 29, 2014
New photo: Car flipped over in Carbon Canyon after 5.1-mag earthquake triggers rockslide in Brea, CA (@AP) pic.twitter.com/t1039dNbEh — BuzzFeed Storm (@BuzzFeedStorm) March 29, 2014
— Danny Sullivan (@dannysullivan) March 29, 2014
#earthquake pic.twitter.com/0hAnOnqcHM — Arrested Development (@bluthquotes) March 29, 2014
— BeverlyHills Porsche (@BevHillsPorsche) March 29, 2014
US Geological Survey seismologist Lucy Jones told Los Angeles Times that the 5.1 quake has a 5 percent chance of being a foreshock of an even larger quake.
"There could be even a larger earthquake in the next few hours or the next few days," Jones was quoted as saying.
The earthquake was felt over a wide swath of Southern California and it broke water mains in a nearby community and forecd Disneyland to shut down rides, reports suggest.
There were no immediate reports of injury or substantial structural damage from the quake, which was centered outside the city of La Habra, located about 20 miles east of downtown Los Angeles, the US Geological Survey has said.
"Tonight's earthquake is the second in two weeks, and reminds us to be prepared," Los Angeles mayor Eric Garcetti said in a statement, released an hour after the shaking.
Garcetti said that an immediate assessment by the Fire Department found no damage within the city limits.
A Los Angeles police spokeswoman told the Reuters that the department had not received any reports of damage or injury.
The quake was felt as far away as Palm Springs in the east and Ventura County to the north, Reuters has reported.
In Anaheim, Disneyland shut down park rides and requested guests to remain seated. In Fullerton several water mains reportedly ruptured, spilling water into the streets and forcing police to divert traffic.
USGA officials have said that the temblor was shallow, at a depth of only 1.2 miles.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Wants To Have A Big Family With ‘Five Children’ At Anmer Hall Residence- Reports
- ISIS European Teen Jihadists Allegedly Pregnant; New Zealand Silent On Kiwi Jihadist's Request To Return Home
- New Zealand Scientists Dissect Well-Preserved Female Colossal Squid [VIDEO]
- This Model Thinks She Is A Bombshell After Plastic Surgery Costing £30,000 Makes Her Look Like A Sex Toy
- ISIS Murder Videos 'Turning On' Foreign Jihadists To Fight US and Britain [VIDEO]
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers