Los Angeles Earthquake: After Magnitude 5.1 and Eight Aftershocks, Larger Quake Possible [Photos]
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | March 29, 2014 6:04 PM EST
A 5.1 magnitude earthquake rattled suburban Los Angeles on Friday night, shaking a swath of Southern California and instilling panic among residents that the temblor could be a harbinger of a larger quake.
After a 5.1 magnitude earthquake rattled suburban Los Angeles and Southern California on Friday night, larger quakes are possible, USGS has said. (Picture Twitter Screen Grab via Maria)
The 5.1 magnitude quake has been one among many other temblors that has hit the region, raising fears that the region could be hit by a few higher magnitude quakes.
The spate of earthquakes began at 8:03 pm when a 3.6 tremor hit the area. That was to be a foreshock of the largest earthquake to hit at 9:09pm local time which was at magnitude 5.1. At least eight other aftershocks of smaller magnitude shave been registered by the USGS in the area - three of them being more than 3.0 in magnitude.
— Marga Gomez (@MargaGomez) March 29, 2014
New photo: Car flipped over in Carbon Canyon after 5.1-mag earthquake triggers rockslide in Brea, CA (@AP) pic.twitter.com/t1039dNbEh — BuzzFeed Storm (@BuzzFeedStorm) March 29, 2014
— Danny Sullivan (@dannysullivan) March 29, 2014
#earthquake pic.twitter.com/0hAnOnqcHM — Arrested Development (@bluthquotes) March 29, 2014
— BeverlyHills Porsche (@BevHillsPorsche) March 29, 2014
US Geological Survey seismologist Lucy Jones told Los Angeles Times that the 5.1 quake has a 5 percent chance of being a foreshock of an even larger quake.
"There could be even a larger earthquake in the next few hours or the next few days," Jones was quoted as saying.
The earthquake was felt over a wide swath of Southern California and it broke water mains in a nearby community and forecd Disneyland to shut down rides, reports suggest.
There were no immediate reports of injury or substantial structural damage from the quake, which was centered outside the city of La Habra, located about 20 miles east of downtown Los Angeles, the US Geological Survey has said.
"Tonight's earthquake is the second in two weeks, and reminds us to be prepared," Los Angeles mayor Eric Garcetti said in a statement, released an hour after the shaking.
Garcetti said that an immediate assessment by the Fire Department found no damage within the city limits.
A Los Angeles police spokeswoman told the Reuters that the department had not received any reports of damage or injury.
The quake was felt as far away as Palm Springs in the east and Ventura County to the north, Reuters has reported.
In Anaheim, Disneyland shut down park rides and requested guests to remain seated. In Fullerton several water mains reportedly ruptured, spilling water into the streets and forcing police to divert traffic.
USGA officials have said that the temblor was shallow, at a depth of only 1.2 miles.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Another Aviation Disaster: Taiwan Plane Crashes, Passengers Aboard Feared Dead [PHOTO]
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Tony Abbott Launches #BringThemHome Operation for MH17 Victims; Black Avatars Trending on Social Media
- Former Destiny’s Child Star Farrah Franklin Arrested
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales