Stephen Colbert Racist? Outraged Online Followers Seek Cancellation of ‘The Colbert Report’
By Keerthi Mohan | March 29, 2014 3:25 PM EST
Stephen Colbert has made a successful career out of mocking others. But on Thursday he drew the ire of the online community by allegedly posting a racially offensive tweet on “The Colbert Report” account, which immediately spewed a cancel Colbert hashtag.
Wikipedia Comedian Stephen Colbert announced on his television show "The Colbert Report" Thursday that he would donate more than $770,000 raised by his super PAC to Hurricane Sandy relief and other charities.
Comedian Stephen Colbert announced on his television show "The Colbert Report" Thursday that he would donate more than $770,000 raised by his super PAC to Hurricane Sandy relief and other charities.
“I am willing to show #Asian community I care by introducing the Ching-Chong Ding-Dong Foundation for Sensitivity to Orientals or Whatever,” @ColbertReport tweeted Thursday evening, and Twitter users believed the message was posted by Colbert.
But the funnyman soon took to his personal Twitter account to say that he wasn’t behind the message, which has since been deleted.
— Stephen Colbert (@StephenAtHome) March 28, 2014
Comedy Central, too, clarified that Colbert isn’t affiliated to the account, tweeting: “This is a Comedy Central promotional account, with no oversight from Stephen or his show, that quoted a line out of context. #cancelcolbert.”
The racist tweet was a line taken from Colbert’s skit on Wednesday where he mocked Washington Redskins owner Dan Snyder's decision to set up a Washington Redskins Original Americans Foundation to help Native Americans. Colbert felt that the foundation was a PR for the NFL team, and alluded that the foundation’s name was offensive. Colbert’s character in “The Colbert Report” often makes outrageous statements and he has repeatedly mocked Asian stereotypes with "Ching Chong Ding Dong."
The #cancelcolbert was started by public speaker and social activist Suey Park, who wants Colbert to issue an apology for the tweet.
“#CancelColbert because there are 19 million Asian Americans and we will not be silent,” tweeted Park, who has received a number of death threats for calling for the cancellation of “The Colbert Project”.
While Colbert has garnered a number of haters, there are many who say that the comedian’s satire highlights racism, and that people should be focusing on the real issue at hand.
Has anybody in the #cancelcolbert tag tweeted the @redskins to change their name? Do you understand that's what Colbert's bit was about? — Daffodil Goddess (@DaffodilGoddess) March 28, 2014
How about if you folks direct your anger at the person Colbert was parodying, Redskins owner Dan Snyder? #CancelColbert
— Charles Johnson (@Green_Footballs) March 28, 2014
Interesting thing about this Colbert outrage is that everyone is ignoring the Redskins name issue he was mocking. — Dylan Hecht (@dylanhecht) March 28, 2014
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt Photographed Fighting Before ‘Unbroken’ Sydney Premiere – Report [VIDEO]
- 'NCIS Los Angeles' Season 6 Recap: Episode 9 'Traitor' Aired On Nov. 24, 2014, The Hunt For The ‘NCIS LA’ Mole Is Over [WATCH VIDEOS]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Thanksgiving Break, SAMCRO Returns In December [VIDEO]
- Kate Middleton Cries As She Listens To A Moving Tale Of A Mother Who Lost Her Infant Daughter
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around