Stephen Colbert Racist? Outraged Online Followers Seek Cancellation of ‘The Colbert Report’
By Keerthi Mohan | March 29, 2014 3:25 PM EST
Stephen Colbert has made a successful career out of mocking others. But on Thursday he drew the ire of the online community by allegedly posting a racially offensive tweet on “The Colbert Report” account, which immediately spewed a cancel Colbert hashtag.
Wikipedia Comedian Stephen Colbert announced on his television show "The Colbert Report" Thursday that he would donate more than $770,000 raised by his super PAC to Hurricane Sandy relief and other charities.
Comedian Stephen Colbert announced on his television show "The Colbert Report" Thursday that he would donate more than $770,000 raised by his super PAC to Hurricane Sandy relief and other charities.
“I am willing to show #Asian community I care by introducing the Ching-Chong Ding-Dong Foundation for Sensitivity to Orientals or Whatever,” @ColbertReport tweeted Thursday evening, and Twitter users believed the message was posted by Colbert.
But the funnyman soon took to his personal Twitter account to say that he wasn’t behind the message, which has since been deleted.
— Stephen Colbert (@StephenAtHome) March 28, 2014
Comedy Central, too, clarified that Colbert isn’t affiliated to the account, tweeting: “This is a Comedy Central promotional account, with no oversight from Stephen or his show, that quoted a line out of context. #cancelcolbert.”
The racist tweet was a line taken from Colbert’s skit on Wednesday where he mocked Washington Redskins owner Dan Snyder's decision to set up a Washington Redskins Original Americans Foundation to help Native Americans. Colbert felt that the foundation was a PR for the NFL team, and alluded that the foundation’s name was offensive. Colbert’s character in “The Colbert Report” often makes outrageous statements and he has repeatedly mocked Asian stereotypes with "Ching Chong Ding Dong."
The #cancelcolbert was started by public speaker and social activist Suey Park, who wants Colbert to issue an apology for the tweet.
“#CancelColbert because there are 19 million Asian Americans and we will not be silent,” tweeted Park, who has received a number of death threats for calling for the cancellation of “The Colbert Project”.
While Colbert has garnered a number of haters, there are many who say that the comedian’s satire highlights racism, and that people should be focusing on the real issue at hand.
Has anybody in the #cancelcolbert tag tweeted the @redskins to change their name? Do you understand that's what Colbert's bit was about? — Daffodil Goddess (@DaffodilGoddess) March 28, 2014
How about if you folks direct your anger at the person Colbert was parodying, Redskins owner Dan Snyder? #CancelColbert
— Charles Johnson (@Green_Footballs) March 28, 2014
Interesting thing about this Colbert outrage is that everyone is ignoring the Redskins name issue he was mocking. — Dylan Hecht (@dylanhecht) March 28, 2014
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 29, 2014: Caroline Is Remorseful About What Happened To Her And Ridge While Katie Is Fuming [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Star Wars: Episode 7' Leaked Image Of New Villain Clutching Red Lightsaber [Spoilers]
- 'The Walking Dead' Star Norman Reedus Bashes The Report That He Begged The Producers Not To Turn Daryl Dixon Gay
- 'Game Of Thrones' Actor Kit Harington Denies Romance With Co-stars Rose Leslie And Emilia Clarke
- 'The Big Bang Theory' Season 8 Episode 7 Spoilers: Penny Takes Off Her Ring In The Misinterpretation Agitation [VIDEO]
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family