Angelina Jolie Emotional in Sarajevo; Cries for the Rape Victims of Bosnian War
By Jenille Cristy Maido | March 29, 2014 2:51 PM EST
Angelina Jolie went on a visit in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina, March 27, not as a Hollywood actress to promote her film, but as a United Nations Special Envoy with a mission to promote an end to sexual violence against women in war.
Actress Angelina Jolie arrives, wearing a Elie Saab gown, at the 86th Academy Awards in Hollywood, California March 2, 2014. REUTERS/Lucas Jackson
The 38-year old United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) Ambassador of Goodwill was accompanied by British Foreign Secretary William Hague to attend a conference in Sarajevo where they addressed the issue and showed support for the prevention of sexual violence to terrorize civilians in war. Hague addressed that rape has been effective in displacing people in war, and it is used in Syria and African countries.
There were approximately 50,000 women raped during the Bosnian war. The victims sued the perpetrators in the UN tribunal, convicting the rapists for the devastating crime.
In their visit in the country, Hague and Jolie went at the Srebrenica memorial centre museum to give tribute to the victims of war. The actress is dressed in black and covering her head with a scarf in respect to the Muslim traditions. She then offered a wreath to the monument of more than 8,000 people who were killed in the mass genocide during Bosnia's three-year war from 1992-1995, according to the Guardian report.
Ms Jolie also met with women who were rape victims and the widows of the men who died in war. The actress reportedly was not able to control her emotions, breaking into tears while listening to stories of the victims.
In the conference, Ms Jolie said that "use of rape as a weapon of war is one of the most harrowing and savage of these crimes against civilians." She described it as brutal, and a topic that is hard to talk about.
Known for her humanitarian causes, Ms Jolie supported various charities and advocated for the rights of women and children. She worked with Foreign Secretary William Hague for a global campaign to fight sexual violence. There are 141 countries supporting the initiative and they continue to raise awareness regarding the matter.
The actress also lauded the country's anti-rape military training in an address in the conference saying, "It is inspiring that it is here in Bosnia, international peacekeepers are being trained to protect civilians from sexual violence. This is groundbreaking."
Furthermore, the British Foreign Secretary promised Bosnia, that Britain will support the planned training centre in Sarajevo for military and peacekeeping use as a part of the advocacy.
Posts to Explore:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Celebrities’ Leaked Nude Photos: Master-List Printed, Selena Gomez, Kim Kardashian, Kate Upton, Jennifer Lawrence, Kaley Cuoco, Rihanna, More Names On It
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice’ First Photo Of Lex Luthor Leaked, Jesse Eisenberg On Villain’s Role And Plot Details Revealed
- Nick Cannon–Mariah Carey Divorce Reports: Nick Dating Younger Woman
- Nude Photos Leaked: Mary Elizabeth Winstead Says Nude Photos Hers, Faces Backlash, Takes Twitter Break
- ‘Bachelor In Paradise’ Spoilers: Find Out Whether AshLee Frazier And Graham Bunn Last Till The End; Meet The New Arrivals Of Episode 6
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display