iPhone 6 Confirmed for Sept 2014 Release Date with 5-Inch Sapphire Glass & Body Coating Plus Enhanced Touch ID Features?
By Erik Pineda | March 29, 2014 2:07 PM EST
Dani Yako via Concept-Phones
iPhone 6 Concept Image by Dani Yako
From Japan, the English publication Nikkei Asian Review has reported late this week that display panel contractors of Apple are now in hyper-production mode, purportedly to the meet the iPhone 6's target of a September launch date.
The Nikkei report has identified Sharp, Japan Display and LG as key suppliers of LCD panels that will be used for the iPhone 5S sequel. It also alleged that ramped up production of a vastly improved fingerprint scanner is part of the already ongoing production efforts.
Nikkei also claimed that like in 2013, Apple will push two iPhone versions - a 4.7-inch variant that supposedly is the flagship build and a 5.5-inch model that earlier report have referred to as the tech giant's experimental iPhablet.
The report, however, is contradicted by French blog site NowhereElse.fr, which has provided fairly accurate tech scoop in the past.
The tech site splattered this week what it described as an iPhone 6 diagram that supposedly revealed the device's final dimension on rollout time - which is 150mm tall and 85mm wide. Interpreting the data provided, BGR concluded in report that the most likely screen size the iPhone 6 will sport is 5-inch at the maximum.
And unlike the Nikkei revelation, NowhereElse.fr is silent on the likelihood of consumers getting their hands on an iPhone with really huge front panel.
Yet what could become reality, as far as the iPhone 6 is concerned, is the sapphire material to come with the device. Apple Insider has reported that Apple is boosting the output prospects of its sapphire-producing partner GT Advanced Technologies.
The move is immediately interpreted as the company's preparation for large-scale sapphire requirements in the near-term, probably as early as second half of 2014.
The same period, of course, is seen as the time frame for the next iPhone debut, which is also highly speculated to show off sapphire glass coating to replace the familiar Corning Gorilla Glass that were employed in previous iPhone editions.
Apart from boasting of a phablet-size display that is layered with sapphire shield, the iPhone 6 is expected as well to showcase an extra-rigid Liquidmetal housing, a 64-bit A8 processing chip and the killer features-packed iOS 8 on its September 2014 release date.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs. OnePlus One—Specifications, Features, Release Date and Price Showdown
- Transfer News: Ron Vlaar to Consider Villa Exit, May Move to Tottenham
- AS Roma's Seydou Keita Throws Water Bottle at Real Madrid defender Pepe for Spitting [VIDEO]
- The Mentalist Season 7 Spoilers: CBS Skips Simon Baker's Patrick Jane in Fall Schedule, Josie Loren Joins Cast
- Game of Thrones Season 5 Update: Maisie Williams Talks Arya Stark, Lady Stoneheart, and Surprises
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell