'Once Upon a Time in Wonderland' Spinoff Series: ABC Confirms Cancellation of TV Show, Series Finale Airs on April 3
By Jenalyn Villamarin | March 29, 2014 1:48 PM EST
Will the characters in "Once Upon a Time in Wonderland" live happily ever after? The ABC Network has officially confirmed on Friday, March 28, the cancellation of the fantasy-drama spinoff series.
According to the Entertainment Weekly report, ABC already informed the fans on Thursday night that the episode scheduled to air on April 3 will be the series finale instead of the season finale. The "Once Upon a Time" spinoff series, which was inspired with the classic "Alice in Wonderland" tale, only lasted with 13 episodes.
Further noted in the report is how the spinoff series struggled during its run on Thursday nights at 8pm resulting to a drastic drop at ratings. "The decision to not move forward with the 13-episode spinoff - from Once creators Adam Horowitz and Eddy Kitsis - comes after the series was originally envisioned as a miniseries intended to bridge the gap between seasons of the flagship series," The Hollywood Reporter revealed, according to the Hollywood Life report.
The entertainment Web site claimed that the cancellation of the spinoff series has something to do with the airing schedule that has a history of canceled shows such as "Last Resort," "Charlie's Angels," "Missing," "My Generation" and "FlashForward." ABC appears to have struggled in launch a hit series in the time period ever since "Ugly Betty" was moved from the 8pm time slot back in 2009.
The Deadline report further revealed that "Once Upon a Time in Wonderland" was fast-tracked for fall and it placed additional pressure on the creators to build up the two TV productions at the same time. The "Once Upon a Time in Wonderland" premiere in October 10, 2013 garnered 5.82 million viewers with 1.7 in adults 18-49 demo rating while the recently aired episode showed the dropped result of only 3.51 million viewers with 0.9 demo rating.
As for its Sunday night flagship series "Once Upon a Time," there is no official order yet for a Season 4 but the TV show is still expected to carry on. "Once Upon A Time In Wonderland" will officially conclude its short-lived run on Thursday night, April 3, at 8/7c with British actress Sophie Lowe starring as the main character Alice.
More Articles to Read:
'How I Met Your Dad' Casting Change: Actress Krysta Rodriguez Leaves 'How I Met Your Mother' Spinoff Series - [READ]
Ian Somerhalder: 'Vampire Diaries' Actor Looking Hot and Sexy in New Azzaro Pour Homme Fragrance Ad [WATCH] - [READ]
'Supernatural' Season 9 Spoilers: Dean Not in the Mood Dealing with Crowley or Finding Abaddon, Watch Video Clip for Episode 17 'Mother's Little Helper' - [READ]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Selena Gomez's Mystery Man Identified as Businessman Tommy Chiabra, Singer Flirts and Shares Same Towel with Him -- Reports
- NCIS Season 12 Spoilers: Fans Fear Cote de Pablo Not Coming Back, Tony DiNozzo Moving On from Ziva David
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Report: Duchess Expecting a Baby Girl, Prince William Wants 3 Kids [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown