HTC One (M8) vs. Samsung Galaxy S5 vs. Apple iPhone 5S – Specs And Price Comparison in Australia
By Pavithra Rathinavel | March 29, 2014 12:57 PM EST
HTC CEO Peter Chou shows the new HTC one (M8) phone during a launch event in New York, March 25, 2014. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid
Now is the time to compare HTC One (M8) with the market leaders Samsung (Galaxy S5) & Apple (iPhone 5S).
Galaxy S5 handset comes with a 5.1 inches screen, (1,920 x 1,080 pixels) resolution. However, HTC One (M8) is only slightly smaller with 5 inches, (1,920 x 1,080 pixels) resolution.
But the iPhone 5S is way smaller when compared to its rivals; iPhone 5S comes with a 4 inches, (1,136 x 640 pixels) high-resolution retina screen.
Users who are hell-bent on gigantic screen size should opt for either Samsung Galaxy S5 or HTC One M8.
Thickness & Weight
Users with the need for a slimmer handset should go straight to iPhone 5S. This handset is 0.3 inches thick. While Galaxy S5 has a thickness of 0.32 inches and HTC One M8 is the thickest of all with 0.37 inches.
The iPhone 5S is the winner again in the lightest phone category, weighing only 0.25 pounds. While, the Galaxy S5 weighs 0.32 pounds and the HTC One (M8) weighs slightly more than the Galaxy S5 with 0.35 pounds.
So the clear winner is Apple.
The Samsung Galaxy S5 is powered by a 2.5 GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 processor, while the HTC One (M8) is powered by a 2.3 GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 processor. Samsung seems to have the upper hand here.
Apple uses its proprietary 1.3 GHz dual-core A7 chipset with M7 processor.
The HTC One (M8) and the Galaxy S5 use Android 4.4 KitKat. The difference is in the interface; the HTC One (M8) uses HTC's Sense 6.0 UI, while the Galaxy S5 uses Samsung's TouchWiz UI.
But again, the iPhone 5S uses the latest software version from Apple, the iOS 7.0.
The HTC One M8 has a 2,600mAh battery (embedded), which should get you up to 20. The Samsung Galaxy S5 packs a sizable 2,800mAh battery (removable) and gives up to 21 hours.
However, the iPhone 5S has a 1,560mAh battery (embedded), which should get you up to 10 hours.
When it comes to MegaPixel war, the Samsung Galaxy S5 is the clear winner. The handset houses a 16 MP rear camera and a 2 MP front camera.
The iPhone 5S houses an 8 MP rear camera and a 1.2 MP front camera. Although Apple cannot win the MegaPixel war, their image enhancement mechanism with their software is commendable.
Although, there were rumors about HTC One M8 camera being inferior with the limited information, the HTC One (M8) seems to pack a different story.
The camera on the 'front' is a whopping 5 MP one, while the camera on the rear (uses 4 Ultrapixels) is a unique one. There are a total of 2 lenses (Duo Camera) in the rear camera, while the main lens is used to capture image, the other lens seizes the in-depth details.
Both the cameras work in tandem to let users capture detailed images with their photos. According to HTC, the Duo Camera lets the user to refocus the photo after it is shot.
On paper, Samsung Galaxy S5 has the advantage but HTC One M8 cannot be ignored. HTC is the pioneer in bringing Duo Camera to the fore.
The Samsung Galaxy S5 comes in two colors - black & white; while copper & blue colors will see a limited release.
The iPhone 5S comes in three colors - space gray, silver & gold.
The HTC One (M8) comes in three colors - gray, silver and rose gold (operator dependent).
Price (Outright) & Availability
The Samsung Galaxy S5 is priced at AU $929. The pre-orders can be availed from 27 March.
Samsung smartwatches /bands are also on sale; the Galaxy Gear 2 is priced at AU $369.95, while the Galaxy Gear Neo and Gear Fit are both priced at AU $249.
The HTC One M8 is priced at AU $899. It is available from 1 April.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Samsung Galaxy Mega 2 Reportedly Cleared by FCC: Five Fresh Features to Expect from Android Smart Phone
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs. OnePlus One—Specifications, Features, Release Date and Price Showdown
- Transfer News: In Demand Everton Midfielder Silence Speculations by Penning New Deal [VIDEO]
- True Blood Spoilers: Alcide Killed because Season 7 is Bill, Sookie’s Season
- Reebok Launches Bacon Line to Lure CrossFit and Paleo Diet Fans
- Transfer News: Star Midfielder Pledges Future with Manchester City [VIDEO]
- ACT Party's Demand to Re Consider Maoris Privileges Evokes Reprimand