Android KitKat End of Life Cycle: Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note 2, One X+, One X, Optimus G, Droid Maxx HD, Nexus 4, Nexus 7 2012, Nexus 10, Xperia SP, Xperia V and More
By Ryan Inoyori | March 29, 2014 12:23 PM EST
Android 4.5 or 5.0 Lollipop is expected to be announced at the Google I/O 2014 and may be released a month after. However, certain great selling Android smartphones may not get it from their manufacturers due to expired software support.
HTC One X+ and One X are just a few among old members of the One Series which will not get Android Lollipop. HTC One X+ already celebrated its first anniversary in November 2013 while HTC One X celebrated its 12 months on May 2012. Both won't be able to reach the expected release date of Android 4.5 or 5.0 rumoured to be announced in June 2014.
LG Optimus Line
LG Optimus G E975 and E970 AT&T were released back in November 2012 and almost nearing end of life cycle this year. Optimus G have until May 2014 to get Android Lollipop and LG is still developing the Android KitKat firmware for the device while Google plans to announce the next Android version by June.
First generation of Optimus L series are also unable to get Android Lollipop and may actually end up on Android Jelly Bean version. But the second generation of the L series will probably get Android KitKat first before obtaining Lollipop - everything depends on what LG thinks for mid-range models.
Motorola did announce the complete list of models getting Android KitKat but not all of them are receiving Android Lollipop. RAZR Maxx will celebrate its second year anniversary on May 2014 while Atrix HD celebrates it on July, during the expected release date of Android 4.5/5.0 on Nexus devices.
Additionally, Droid RAZR Maxx HD's software support is ending in May that makes end of life cycle on Android 4.4.2 KitKat. Some Motorola smartphones such as Moto X and Moto G are established enough to receive the next major update.
Google Nexus Line
Google updated Nexus 4, Nexus 7 2012 and 2013, and Nexus 10 to Android KitKat version then excluded Galaxy Nexus due to expiration. In Android 4.5/5.0, only Nexus 7 2013 among these devices will get the taste of Android Lollipop. Nexus 4 support will end in May, Nexus 7 2012 will celebrate two years in July and Nexus 10 goes on the same expiration time with Nexus 4.
Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 2013 remains eligible to get the next version joining the exclusive launcher Nexus 8, upcoming Nexus 6 and rumoured Nexus 10 as the new Nexus line of the year.
The almost futureproof trait of Galaxy S3 will finally meet its end along with Galaxy Note 2. Galaxy S3 first-gen was released on May 2012 and Galaxy Note 2 began selling on September 2012. Galaxy S3 is already expired in terms of the 18-month update window period but Samsung went generous by including it on the Android KitKat plan due to millions of sales worldwide.
Galaxy Note 2 is expected to end its life cycle by March 2014 and also eligible on getting Android 4.4.2 KitKat. Galaxy S2 and Galaxy Note first-gen are already out of any further software upgrades.
In Sony smartphone line, most of the current available Xperia handsets are eligible to get Android KitKat and Lollipop. Some Xperia Z series are still months away before reaching one-year anniversary, giving them six more months to get both Android 4.4.2 and 4.5.
Some mid-range smartphones are expected to end on Android KitKat such as Xperia SP, Xperia T, Xperia TX and Xperia V which currently tagged as "under investigation" by the development team. Models which already confirmed by the company ending on their current OS are also excluded for the Android Lollipop upgrade plans.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Windows Phone 8.1, Nokia Lumia Cyan Update: All Supported Devices In Various Regions As Of August
- Sony Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide For Xperia Z Devices As Of August 2014
- Sony Xperia M2 Aqua Buyer's Guide: Reasons Why Upgrade From Xperia V Or Xperia ZR
- 'No Man's Sky' For PlayStation 4: The Sun Will Burn Out But The Game Will Go On (Watch Trailer)
- Xbox One VS. PS4 At PAX Prime 2014:18 Games On Sale And A Lineup Of Xbox Games Revealed
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Windows 9 To Include Interactive Live Tiles and Notification Center in Metro 2.0