Regardless if Mayweather Clash Happens or Not, Pacquiao’s Rematch With Bradley Most Important Since De La Hoya Fight
By Rachelle Corpuz | March 29, 2014 11:15 AM EST
Manny Pacquiao has made his name in the world of boxing by defeating some of the biggest names in the sport, but his victory against Oscar De La Hoya in 2008 has even furthered his super stardom. However, Pacquiao's promoter thinks that Pacquiao's rematch with Timothy Bradley, regardless if a Floyd Mayweather happens or not, is the most important fight for the multi-division world champion since he clashed with De La Hoya.
Filipino boxer Manny Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez of Mexico pose during an official weigh-in at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas
Speaking to The Telegraph Sport, Arum said that not only Pacquiao's rematch with Bradley important, but it is risky as well. The Hall of Fame promoter went on and said that boxing fans wouldn't have bought the ticket for the Pacquiao-Bradley rematch if they already knew what is going to happen. "If it's something that we know what the outcome is going to be, why the hell would people bother," said Arum.
According to Arum, Pacquiao is going to try to set the record straight to prove to everyone that Bradley's victory, when they met the first time, was a stroke of luck. He said that Pacquiao has been training so hard and feels confident about the upcoming rematch. However, Arum pointed out that he is not getting any younger and he's probably coming to terms with his aging while Bradley is often regarded as an underrated fighter who is not really considered as good as he actually is. Arum thinks Pacquiao can win but the Filipino fighter should exert a lot of effort to snag the victory in their rematch. "It's not going to be easy," he said.
In addition, Arum thinks that Pacquiao can bring entertainment to all boxing fans in the world for his rematch on April 12. "I think he does," he said when asked if Pacquiao needs to bring out something special in himself for the upcoming Bradley clash. "Whether he ever fights Floyd Mayweather or doesn't fight Mayweather, this is the most important fight of Manny's career, next to the Oscar De La Hoya fight," Arum said.
Arum was then asked the million-dollar question as a conclusion. Is the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight ever going to happen? Arum gave an unambiguous yet comprehensible explanation.
"This really reminds me of what Hitler did before the Second World War," he said. "Give me this, give me that and there'll be peace," he added.
"Manny knows that Mayweather doesn't want to fight him and he knows that making one concession after another, and God knows he's made plenty of concessions."
"This is not rocket science, if Mayweather wants to fight, let's sit down in a room and negotiate the fight."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tim Tebow Stars in SEC Network Commercial
- Fernando Alonso Describes Michael Schumacher as the Strongest Opponent He Has Faced in F1
- Arsenal FC: Wenger Satisfied Despite Coming Out with a Draw against Besiktas
- Serena Williams and Patrick Mouratoglou Break-up Unlikely, Coach Posts Instagram Photos of Girlfriend
- UFC President Dana White Says He is Very Excited for Anderson Silva’s Comeback in January
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff