WATCH: ‘Chop Narendra Modi into Pieces’ Remark Sparks Outrage; Congress Candidate Imran Masood Booked for Hate Speech
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | March 29, 2014 2:15 AM EST
Imran Masood, a Congress candidate for Sahranpur, has stirred up some major controversy by threatening to "chop Narendra Modi into pieces" during a rally speech; an incident that has invited sharp ciriticism from BJP, which has termed the remark as "inflammatory" and sought strict legal action from the election commission.
Imran Masood, a Congress candidate for Sahranpur has stirred up controversy by threatening to "chop Narendra Modi into pieces" (YouTube screen grab).
The video, which has now gone viral, shows Masood verbally attacking the BJP prime ministerial candidate during a rally in Saharanpur.
"If Modi tries to make Uttar Pradesh into Gujarat, then we will chop him into tiny pieces... I am not scared of getting killed or attacking someone. I will fight against Modi. He thinks UP is Gujurat. Only 4 percent Muslims are there in Gujarat while there are 42 percent Muslims in UP," he said.
Watch the video here:
After the matter came to light, Masood has been booked for hate speech and a case has been registered against him at Devbad police station in the district.
He has been booked under Section 153 A (promoting enmity between different groups), 295 A (deliberate and malicious acts, intended to outrage religious feelings or any class by insulting its religious or religious beliefs), 504 (intentional insult with intent to provoke break of the peace) and 506 (criminal intimidation) of the IPC, district authorities have said, according to The Times of India.
Masood later denied using any derogatory language against anyone in any of his speeches.
"I don't use foul language. As far as talking about Modi is concerned, I want to make it clear that I will talk about him and his deeds," Masood told the newspaper.
The video is reportedly being examined by the authorities to determine the context of Masood's statement and the extent to which he used derogatory language. Masoon is seen, in the video, shouting his lungs out with a sore throat in the absence of a microphone. But most the words are clear and audible.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged
- Teachers’ Strike in BC, Canada Stalls 1st Day of School; Labour Dispute Could Last Even After Labour Day
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones