Maruti Suzuki Developing New 1.0L Turbo Petrol Engine to Power YRA Hatchback
By greeshma m | March 29, 2014 12:32 AM EST
Maruti Suzuki, the country's largest car maker is reportedly developing a new petrol engine, which will first power the company's upcoming YRA hatchback, claims a new report.
A worker cleans a Maruti Suzuki Swift Dzire car as he is being reflected on a car at the company's stock yard at Sanand in Gujarat on 30 October, 2012.
A new report by Financial Express suggested that the 1.0 litre turbocharged petrol engine is in the making, which would power the Maruti's YRA hatchback. The new engine, codenamed K10C, is likely to generate 90 bhp of power and 140 Nm of peak torque and is rumoured to give a fuel efficiency of 20kmpl.
"As part of Maruti's plan to follow global trends of downsizing, there is a huge focus on turbocharged petrol engines for upcoming models. With requirements on fuel economy and emissions only getting stricter, the company feels this is the only way forward. Downsizing gives higher power output, while improving mileage as well," an industry source told Financial Express.
Maruti's upcoming YRA will be a global hatchback and would be positioned above the Maruti Swift, which is expected to reach the market by the end of 2015.
Currently, Volkswagen (Polo GT TSI, Vento TSI), Fiat (Linea) and Ford (EcoSport) are the cars in the market powered by the turbocharged petrol engines and Tata (Zest and Bolt) will join the club soon.
Maruti is also working on a diesel engine for its future line-up vehicles. The company which has been buying Fiat's multi-jet diesel engine for its diesel vehicles will try their own diesel engine in commercial vehicles first, before moving on to passenger cars.
The first engine 800cc, two-cylinder diesel vehicle would be tried in the company's first light commercial vehicle (LCV) Y9T, which is expected to make its debut in 2015.
After the 800cc diesel engine, the company will also be developing a 1.5-litre, four-cylinder diesel engine which would power its upcoming India-bound SUV YBA.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier to Give $5,000 Assistance to Victims’ Families; Bankruptcy Looms as 2 Air Mishaps Would Cost Firm Minimum $80.55 M Compensation
- Foxconn And Pegatron Corp Readies For Apple's iPhone 6 Mass Production This Month
- KFC & McDonald’s Accused of Serving ‘Expired’ Meat to Customers
- Malaysian Airlines Ukraine Tragedy Hits Asian Stock Markets
- New Zealand's Largest Snack Food Company Bought for NZ$700 Million
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June