Maruti Suzuki Developing New 1.0L Turbo Petrol Engine to Power YRA Hatchback
By greeshma m | March 29, 2014 12:32 AM EST
Maruti Suzuki, the country's largest car maker is reportedly developing a new petrol engine, which will first power the company's upcoming YRA hatchback, claims a new report.
A worker cleans a Maruti Suzuki Swift Dzire car as he is being reflected on a car at the company's stock yard at Sanand in Gujarat on 30 October, 2012.
A new report by Financial Express suggested that the 1.0 litre turbocharged petrol engine is in the making, which would power the Maruti's YRA hatchback. The new engine, codenamed K10C, is likely to generate 90 bhp of power and 140 Nm of peak torque and is rumoured to give a fuel efficiency of 20kmpl.
"As part of Maruti's plan to follow global trends of downsizing, there is a huge focus on turbocharged petrol engines for upcoming models. With requirements on fuel economy and emissions only getting stricter, the company feels this is the only way forward. Downsizing gives higher power output, while improving mileage as well," an industry source told Financial Express.
Maruti's upcoming YRA will be a global hatchback and would be positioned above the Maruti Swift, which is expected to reach the market by the end of 2015.
Currently, Volkswagen (Polo GT TSI, Vento TSI), Fiat (Linea) and Ford (EcoSport) are the cars in the market powered by the turbocharged petrol engines and Tata (Zest and Bolt) will join the club soon.
Maruti is also working on a diesel engine for its future line-up vehicles. The company which has been buying Fiat's multi-jet diesel engine for its diesel vehicles will try their own diesel engine in commercial vehicles first, before moving on to passenger cars.
The first engine 800cc, two-cylinder diesel vehicle would be tried in the company's first light commercial vehicle (LCV) Y9T, which is expected to make its debut in 2015.
After the 800cc diesel engine, the company will also be developing a 1.5-litre, four-cylinder diesel engine which would power its upcoming India-bound SUV YBA.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Apple Inc (AAPL) Stock May Reach $150; First Trillion Company Talks, iPhone 6 and Apple Watch Boost Price
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide