Maruti Suzuki Developing New 1.0L Turbo Petrol Engine to Power YRA Hatchback
By greeshma m | March 29, 2014 12:32 AM EST
Maruti Suzuki, the country's largest car maker is reportedly developing a new petrol engine, which will first power the company's upcoming YRA hatchback, claims a new report.
A worker cleans a Maruti Suzuki Swift Dzire car as he is being reflected on a car at the company's stock yard at Sanand in Gujarat on 30 October, 2012.
A new report by Financial Express suggested that the 1.0 litre turbocharged petrol engine is in the making, which would power the Maruti's YRA hatchback. The new engine, codenamed K10C, is likely to generate 90 bhp of power and 140 Nm of peak torque and is rumoured to give a fuel efficiency of 20kmpl.
"As part of Maruti's plan to follow global trends of downsizing, there is a huge focus on turbocharged petrol engines for upcoming models. With requirements on fuel economy and emissions only getting stricter, the company feels this is the only way forward. Downsizing gives higher power output, while improving mileage as well," an industry source told Financial Express.
Maruti's upcoming YRA will be a global hatchback and would be positioned above the Maruti Swift, which is expected to reach the market by the end of 2015.
Currently, Volkswagen (Polo GT TSI, Vento TSI), Fiat (Linea) and Ford (EcoSport) are the cars in the market powered by the turbocharged petrol engines and Tata (Zest and Bolt) will join the club soon.
Maruti is also working on a diesel engine for its future line-up vehicles. The company which has been buying Fiat's multi-jet diesel engine for its diesel vehicles will try their own diesel engine in commercial vehicles first, before moving on to passenger cars.
The first engine 800cc, two-cylinder diesel vehicle would be tried in the company's first light commercial vehicle (LCV) Y9T, which is expected to make its debut in 2015.
After the 800cc diesel engine, the company will also be developing a 1.5-litre, four-cylinder diesel engine which would power its upcoming India-bound SUV YBA.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Toyota Tops World Sales of Cars, Sells Over 5K Million Vehicles in First Half of 2014
- Man Swindles Apple for $309,768 in 16 States
- Texas Man Selling Condo With ‘Funniest and Most Revealing Ad’
- Air New Zealand Pays $1000 to NZ9 Passengers After Three-Night Delay
- Tweens Fool Their Parents Online, McAfee Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell
- Hilary Duff's New Music Video Chasing the Sun Goes Viral on YouTube [WATCH VIDEO]
- LeBron James to Return to Miami, Face Heat on Christmas Day 2014
- Shanghai Stock Exchange Will Not Extend Trading Hours
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report