Maruti Suzuki Developing New 1.0L Turbo Petrol Engine to Power YRA Hatchback
By greeshma m | March 29, 2014 12:32 AM EST
Maruti Suzuki, the country's largest car maker is reportedly developing a new petrol engine, which will first power the company's upcoming YRA hatchback, claims a new report.
A worker cleans a Maruti Suzuki Swift Dzire car as he is being reflected on a car at the company's stock yard at Sanand in Gujarat on 30 October, 2012.
A new report by Financial Express suggested that the 1.0 litre turbocharged petrol engine is in the making, which would power the Maruti's YRA hatchback. The new engine, codenamed K10C, is likely to generate 90 bhp of power and 140 Nm of peak torque and is rumoured to give a fuel efficiency of 20kmpl.
"As part of Maruti's plan to follow global trends of downsizing, there is a huge focus on turbocharged petrol engines for upcoming models. With requirements on fuel economy and emissions only getting stricter, the company feels this is the only way forward. Downsizing gives higher power output, while improving mileage as well," an industry source told Financial Express.
Maruti's upcoming YRA will be a global hatchback and would be positioned above the Maruti Swift, which is expected to reach the market by the end of 2015.
Currently, Volkswagen (Polo GT TSI, Vento TSI), Fiat (Linea) and Ford (EcoSport) are the cars in the market powered by the turbocharged petrol engines and Tata (Zest and Bolt) will join the club soon.
Maruti is also working on a diesel engine for its future line-up vehicles. The company which has been buying Fiat's multi-jet diesel engine for its diesel vehicles will try their own diesel engine in commercial vehicles first, before moving on to passenger cars.
The first engine 800cc, two-cylinder diesel vehicle would be tried in the company's first light commercial vehicle (LCV) Y9T, which is expected to make its debut in 2015.
After the 800cc diesel engine, the company will also be developing a 1.5-litre, four-cylinder diesel engine which would power its upcoming India-bound SUV YBA.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- iPhone 6 Release Down Under – Meet The First People To Have The Newest iPhones
- Masayoshi Son Is Japan’s Richest Man As Softbank Shares Surge Ahead Of Alibaba IPO; More Millionaires Among Alibaba Employees On The Way
- Ex-Male Strippers For Rent At $125/Hour To Act As ManServants
- Alibaba Hikes IPO Price Range To $66-$68 From $60-$66
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best