Eating Bat Curbed as Deadly Ebola Virus Spreads
By Parismita Goswami | March 28, 2014 11:46 PM EST
An outbreak of a deadly virus has made Guinean officials to ban the consumption of grilled bat, bat soup and other such local delicacies.
Bat-Eating Curbed as Deadly Ebola Virus Spreads
Ebola virus that spreads the deadly disease has claimed about 63 lives in the region of Guinea, located in West Africa on the Atlantic Ocean.
"We discovered the vector [infectious] agent of the Ebola virus is the bat. We sent messages everywhere to announce the ban. People must even avoid consumption of rats and monkeys. They are very dangerous animals. Bloomberg News quoted Remy Lamah, the country's Health Minister as saying.
Ebola is a kind of haemorrhagic virus that spreads the disease through bodily fluids and causes fever, vomiting, diarrhea including external and internal bleeding. There is no cure or vaccination available to treat the disease and is often fatal, according to the National Institutes of Health.
Medical specialists believe that animals carry the Ebola virus naturally and previous records state that the disease has been transmitted to human through gorillas, chimpanzees and monkeys. Mammals such as bats can host the virus, but may not necessarily show any symptoms of the disease.
In Guinea, some ethnic like Toma, Guerze and Kissi groups consume bats regularly in various ways, as reported by BBC news. Bats are often boiled in a soup or grilled over an open flame.
In the recent years, bats have come under increased scrutiny because of their strange ability to host zoonotic viruses, that spread from species to species.
The flying mammals are host for over 60 viruses that has the capability to infect humans and can host more viruses than even rodents.
Other than Ebola virus, bats can spread rabies, histoplasmosis, Nipah, SARS, Marburg, Lyssaviruses, Hendra and other diseases, according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
Join the Conversation
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border
- Xiaomi Mi4 v. Moto X (2014) – Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown