Eating Bat Curbed as Deadly Ebola Virus Spreads
By Parismita Goswami | March 28, 2014 11:46 PM EST
An outbreak of a deadly virus has made Guinean officials to ban the consumption of grilled bat, bat soup and other such local delicacies.
Bat-Eating Curbed as Deadly Ebola Virus Spreads
Ebola virus that spreads the deadly disease has claimed about 63 lives in the region of Guinea, located in West Africa on the Atlantic Ocean.
"We discovered the vector [infectious] agent of the Ebola virus is the bat. We sent messages everywhere to announce the ban. People must even avoid consumption of rats and monkeys. They are very dangerous animals. Bloomberg News quoted Remy Lamah, the country's Health Minister as saying.
Ebola is a kind of haemorrhagic virus that spreads the disease through bodily fluids and causes fever, vomiting, diarrhea including external and internal bleeding. There is no cure or vaccination available to treat the disease and is often fatal, according to the National Institutes of Health.
Medical specialists believe that animals carry the Ebola virus naturally and previous records state that the disease has been transmitted to human through gorillas, chimpanzees and monkeys. Mammals such as bats can host the virus, but may not necessarily show any symptoms of the disease.
In Guinea, some ethnic like Toma, Guerze and Kissi groups consume bats regularly in various ways, as reported by BBC news. Bats are often boiled in a soup or grilled over an open flame.
In the recent years, bats have come under increased scrutiny because of their strange ability to host zoonotic viruses, that spread from species to species.
The flying mammals are host for over 60 viruses that has the capability to infect humans and can host more viruses than even rodents.
Other than Ebola virus, bats can spread rabies, histoplasmosis, Nipah, SARS, Marburg, Lyssaviruses, Hendra and other diseases, according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Mars Unusual Feature: Alien Skull Buried In Martian Sand
- Seals In Antarctica Are Sexually Assaulting King Penguins
- Accidental Electrocution Makes 12-Year-Old Russian Boy ‘Magnetic’ Similar To X-Men Character
- Kid Discovers 100-million-year-old Marine Reptile Fossil
- Stephen Hawking's Facebook Posts Tell You How The Cosmologist Reacts To 'Theory Of Everything' And 'Interstellar'
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports
- Xiaomi to Kill Redmi 1S for More Redmi Notes
- New Zealand Dairy Industry Feels Bullish At Chinese President's Visit