Giant Balloon Ride to Edge of Space: World View Plans to Begin the Trip by Late 2016
By Parismita Goswami | March 28, 2014 10:56 PM EST
In the near future, civilians can also take a ride to the edge of the space and view the magnificent outer world. World View, a private company is hoping to take tourists to the near-space by the end of 2016. Voyagers will experience the ride not with a rocket, but with a high-altitude balloon.
World View Enterprise
Giant Balloon Trip to the Edge of Space: World View Plans to Begin the Ride by Late 2016
If the company's vision comes to reality, travelers need to pay $75,000 to board a balloon that will float about 30 kilometers above the ground. As travelers glide up, they can view the bright stars, the blackness of the outer space and the Earth suspended from the space - an experience that was limited to astronauts until now.
A luxurious and comfortable capsule is designed to carry six voyagers and two crew members, which will be lifted by the balloon up to a height of 100,000 feet, according to the World View website. The voyagers will be able to capture the breath taking sights of the world outside the Earth. The entire journey will take approximately five hours. The capsule is designed by Paragon Space Development Corp.
However, voyagers need not be undergoing any special training to enjoy this ride.
World view's concept of travelling without rockets and without feeling the weightlessness stands apart from the other space tourism ventures such as XCOR and Virgin Galactic, where both are offering short flight on rocket-powered space planes to an altitude of 62 miles and passengers will experience few minutes of weightlessness along with the spectacular view.
Voyagers can book their exciting space trip by depositing $5,000. Several passengers have already paid for the ride. Mark Kelly, retired astronaut and Space Shuttle Commander will lead the team as the Director of Flight Crew Operations.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Woman Claiming To Be Former NASA Employee Says She Saw Humans Walking On Mars In 1979
- Why NASA Says That Life Beyond The Earth May Exist In Jupiter's Moon, Europa
- More Artefacts Found in Greece's Mystery Tomb
- 12th Century Sword Found By An Archaeologist Could Have Belonged To Ivan The Terrible
- Nuclear Attack From Aliens Eradicated Life On Mars, Physicist Claims
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]