IPL 2014 News: Former Cricketers Expect Sunil Gavaskar to ‘Bat Straight’ in His BCCI Innings
By Shruthi SU | March 28, 2014 10:23 PM EST
Cricket action promises to take centre stage as the reliable Sunil Gavaskar accepted to serve as the BCCI president till IPL 2014 is completed. Former cricketers and BCCI officials were more than elated to see the elevation Gavaskar received from Supreme Court's hearing on Friday.
Chandu Borde, Ajit Wadekar and Kiran More were among the ones, who voiced their opinions in favour of the SC decision to replace the allegedly corrupt N Srinivasan with the former Indian captain Gavaskar.
"This is a very good thing that the Supreme Court has done," Borde told reporters. "It's a great opportunity to the cricketers as cricket would be given priority in IPL whose image has taken quite a beating because of the allegations of betting, match fixing etc.
"Gavaskar is a man known for playing with the straight bat. There will be a lot of transparency under his guidance. He is known to have his own mind and I don't think anyone would dare to indulge in corrupt practices with him at the helm."
Gavaskar had made his debut under Wadekar's captaincy in 1971 in the Caribbean, the latter hopes the original little master can deliver the goods.
"Glad that a legend like Gavaskar has been given the charge of the BCCI," Wadekar said. "Really good to see cricketers at the helm, including Shivlal Yadav."
Yadav, the senior-most vice-president of the BCCI, will be taking care of non-IPL affairs while Gavaskar solely focuses on the IPL, according to the SC orders. Yadav is the secretary of the Hyderabad Cricket Association and hopes to do his best.
"I am quite happy to hear the news that I will be looking after cricket affairs after the IPL," Yadav said. "I will try to do my best."
Former Indian wicket-keeper More also hailed the SC move. "Gavaskar was a player, so he knows what are the problems faced by the cricketers," More noted. "He was also part of the IPL governing council so he would know about the workings of it. He was the ICC cricket committee chairman, so he shouldn't find the role of the president difficult.
"There are lot of issues, but the most important thing for me is cricket should go on."
Wadekar agreed with More's remarks and added that the first task in hand for the BCCI officials is to restore the faith in the game among fans.
"The big challenge before them is to restore confidence of fans in the game which has taken a beating," Wadekar added. "If some poor chap gets bowled people will look at him with suspicion and not credit the bowler! Restoring the credibility of the game is going to be a major challenge for them."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Men’s & Women’s 100m Final, Athletics Schedule & Results Day 2
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]