Oscar Pistorius All-Set to Place Case in Murder Trial
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 28, 2014 10:22 PM EST
After13 long months of waiting, the former "Blade-Runner" Oscar Pistorius is all set to present his case to explain the cause of the shooting.
The Oscar Pictorius Trial in Pretoria high court has reached its climax as the blade runner himself is set to stand in the witness box and give his version of the entire story.
Pistorius have always kept the stand against the allegation of murdering his girlfriend as he "denied it in the strongest possible terms."
"The allegation that I wanted to shoot or kill Reeva could not be further from the truth," Pistorius said in light of the event.
During his plea statement, Pistorius laid out details of the events leading to Reeva Steenkamp's death.
"During the early hours of the morning, I brought two fans in from the balcony. I had shortly before spoken to Reeva who was in bed beside me... Unbeknown to me, Reeva must have gone to the toilet in the bathroom at the time when I brought in the fans, closed the sliding doors and the curtains." Pistorius said.
"I approached the bathroom armed with my firearm, so as to defend Reeva and I... I, in my fearful state, knowing that I was on my stumps, unable to run away or properly defend myself physically, believed to be the intruder/s coming out of the toilet to attack Reeva and me."
However, during presentation of his case, his version will be reviewed meticulously to find the exact cause behind the shootout.
Earlier during the testimony of witnesses, Pistorius was referred as a gun-loving, hot-headed and jealous man.
While there was absence of such strong motive behind this gruesome killing, the evidence laid out by his neighbours was strong enough to indicate Pistorius shooting that fateful night.
Legal expert Kelly Phelps believed the most likely outcome would be, Pistorius convicted of the charge or a chance of complete acquittal.
"The only reason for that is because of his status as a double-amputee, and the evidence that we suspect he is going to put forward about his intense fear and paranoia [of intruders] at the time." Phelps said.
"The combination of those factors, the reality of the crime situation in which we live [in South Africa], and his objectively relative position of vulnerability - meaning yes, he feels vulnerable but objectively he is more physically vulnerable - that could be harnessed by his defence team to actually argue that his conduct was even reasonable [on the night] ... I think it's the less likely outcome but it's not an impossible one."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Minnesota Timberwolves 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Wiggins-Rubio Era In Minneapolis Begins
- Dallas Mavericks 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Nowitzki, Ellis Has New Shooting Partner In Parsons
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks
- U.S. Missile Shield In Europe Opens In Romania: Russia's Reservations Ignored