Yesteryear Veteran Malayalam Director P Ramdas Passes Away
By sangeetha seshagiri | March 28, 2014 10:17 PM EST
Veteran Malayalam director P Ramdas, director of 1955-release "Newspaper Boy," passed away due to age-related ailments at a hospital in Kottayam, Kerala on Thursday (27 March). He was 83. Ramdas is survived by his two sons.
P.Ramdas (Wikimedia Commons)
"Newpaper Boy" was the first neo-realistic Malayalam film and the credit of making the film goes to Ramdas. The film's screenplay was written based on a short story written by Ramdas himself and the veteran directed the film as well.
A group of students led by Ramdas took the initiative to produce and release the film. On 13 May 1955, "Newspaper Boy" was reportedly released in eight cinemas across Kerala, according to Times of India. Although the film was a box office dud, it did receive critical acclaim.
Ramdas was a law graduate who hailed from Ayyanthole in Thrissur. Though he didn't have knowledge about the technicalities of film-making, he and his team went ahead with the project by taking inspiration from books on cinema, reported The New Indian Express.
After making "Newspaper Boy," Ramdas produced two more films - "Nirapara" in 1976 and "Vadakaveettile Adithi" in 1981. But, financial issues forced the veteran director to stay away from making mainstream films. However, he did make short films at intervals, according to the daily.
In 2007, the Kerala government honoured the director with the prestigious "JC Daniel Award," the highest film award in the state, for his contributions to the Malayalam film industry.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 2 Major Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Strangers’
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage