Serena Williams Ousted Maria Sharapova to Reach Sony Open Final
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 28, 2014 10:14 PM EST
Serena Williams shakes hands with Maria Sharapova after their match on day eleven of the Sony Open at Crandon Tennis Center. Williams won 6-4, 6-3.
Sharapova seemed to be moving forward to clinch the title. She was leading by 4-1 in the first set and 3-0 lead in the second set. But Serana proved adamant to get back to the game, which she did efficiently with steady baseline and clutch serving. Williams hit 21 winners to 22 unforced errors, while Sharapova bagged 15 winners to 29 unforced errors.
"I wasn't playing my best ... I knew if I wanted to stay in the tournament and make another final, I just had to play better," Williams said.
This is the ninth time Serena will play in the final of the Miami Open, having bagged six titles so far.
"That's pretty awesome - I didn't even realise! But I just love playing here in Miami. This is my home. I love you guys!" Williams added.
The loss of Sharapova will pull her ranking down to No.9 or No.10 on Monday. It will be her lowest ranking since 2011.
"Despite my results against her, I still look forward to playing against her because you learn so much from that type of level she produces ... You finish the match, and you know where you need to improve and the things that you need to work on," Sharapova said.
Meanwhile, in the men's round, Tomas Berdych (No.7) moved to semifinals for the third time, defeating Alexandr Dolgopolov of Ukraine by 6-4, 7-6 (7-3).
At the first set, the match got paused for a while by the rain when the score was 4-4. However, upon resumption, Bredych took the control and led his way to clinch the first set.
Dolgopolov, aiming to come back, made an early break in the second on his way to 5-3 lead. But Berdych again broke the tandem at 5-5, forcing a tie-break which he finally won to register his 450th win in his career.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Michael Schumacher Condition: Manager Sabine Kehm Says The 7-Time World Champion Is Making ‘Progress Appropriate To The Severity Of His Situation’
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]