Australia’s Meg Lanning Sets a New Record
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 28, 2014 10:01 PM EST
Meg Lanning of Australia's women cricket team has set a new record after scoring the highest individual score in T20 history. The Aussies defeated Ireland by 78 runs in the Women's T20 World Cup held at the Sylhet International Cricket Stadium in Bangladesh.
Lanning is the first Australian and the third woman to reach three-figure score in T20 international. She smashed Ireland bowlers, securing 126 runs in just 65 deliveries.
The former T20 champions Australia batted first and set a formidable target with 191-4 on board.
Right from the start of the game, Ireland was looking forward to check Aussies from big hit. But Meg Lanning was ready to attack from every angle, giving the opponent no room at all.
The Irish bowling lineup could not tackle much of the aggressive flow of Aussies. However, good spell came from Erin Osborne, taking two wickets at the expense of 29 runs and Ellyse Perry on 2-17.
Lanning was dismissed with the second last ball of the innings. Her innings flowed with 18 boundaries and four huge sixes, putting up 86 runs second-wicket partnership with opener Delissa Kimmince who scored 35. The next 83 runs effort was accomplished with the partnership of Alex Blackwell (12 off 12).
The total score secured by the Aussies was also the highest in women's T20 cricket, breaking New Zealand's previous score of 180-5 against West Indies in 2010.
The Aussies victory by 78 runs margin was also the highest in women's T20 history.
The 22-year-old cricketer is the youngest captain of Australia, be it in men or women cricket. She clinched the century with a boundary off 14-year old medium pacer Lucy O'Reilly.
Meg Lanning is also the first Australian cricketer to cross 1,000 runs career in T20 history.
Australia had earlier picked up the World T20 title twice in 2010 and 2012. The team is looking forward to grab its third title.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar