Australia’s Meg Lanning Sets a New Record
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 28, 2014 10:01 PM EST
Meg Lanning of Australia's women cricket team has set a new record after scoring the highest individual score in T20 history. The Aussies defeated Ireland by 78 runs in the Women's T20 World Cup held at the Sylhet International Cricket Stadium in Bangladesh.
Lanning is the first Australian and the third woman to reach three-figure score in T20 international. She smashed Ireland bowlers, securing 126 runs in just 65 deliveries.
The former T20 champions Australia batted first and set a formidable target with 191-4 on board.
Right from the start of the game, Ireland was looking forward to check Aussies from big hit. But Meg Lanning was ready to attack from every angle, giving the opponent no room at all.
The Irish bowling lineup could not tackle much of the aggressive flow of Aussies. However, good spell came from Erin Osborne, taking two wickets at the expense of 29 runs and Ellyse Perry on 2-17.
Lanning was dismissed with the second last ball of the innings. Her innings flowed with 18 boundaries and four huge sixes, putting up 86 runs second-wicket partnership with opener Delissa Kimmince who scored 35. The next 83 runs effort was accomplished with the partnership of Alex Blackwell (12 off 12).
The total score secured by the Aussies was also the highest in women's T20 cricket, breaking New Zealand's previous score of 180-5 against West Indies in 2010.
The Aussies victory by 78 runs margin was also the highest in women's T20 history.
The 22-year-old cricketer is the youngest captain of Australia, be it in men or women cricket. She clinched the century with a boundary off 14-year old medium pacer Lucy O'Reilly.
Meg Lanning is also the first Australian cricketer to cross 1,000 runs career in T20 history.
Australia had earlier picked up the World T20 title twice in 2010 and 2012. The team is looking forward to grab its third title.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation