Australia’s Meg Lanning Sets a New Record
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 28, 2014 10:01 PM EST
Meg Lanning of Australia's women cricket team has set a new record after scoring the highest individual score in T20 history. The Aussies defeated Ireland by 78 runs in the Women's T20 World Cup held at the Sylhet International Cricket Stadium in Bangladesh.
Lanning is the first Australian and the third woman to reach three-figure score in T20 international. She smashed Ireland bowlers, securing 126 runs in just 65 deliveries.
The former T20 champions Australia batted first and set a formidable target with 191-4 on board.
Right from the start of the game, Ireland was looking forward to check Aussies from big hit. But Meg Lanning was ready to attack from every angle, giving the opponent no room at all.
The Irish bowling lineup could not tackle much of the aggressive flow of Aussies. However, good spell came from Erin Osborne, taking two wickets at the expense of 29 runs and Ellyse Perry on 2-17.
Lanning was dismissed with the second last ball of the innings. Her innings flowed with 18 boundaries and four huge sixes, putting up 86 runs second-wicket partnership with opener Delissa Kimmince who scored 35. The next 83 runs effort was accomplished with the partnership of Alex Blackwell (12 off 12).
The total score secured by the Aussies was also the highest in women's T20 cricket, breaking New Zealand's previous score of 180-5 against West Indies in 2010.
The Aussies victory by 78 runs margin was also the highest in women's T20 history.
The 22-year-old cricketer is the youngest captain of Australia, be it in men or women cricket. She clinched the century with a boundary off 14-year old medium pacer Lucy O'Reilly.
Meg Lanning is also the first Australian cricketer to cross 1,000 runs career in T20 history.
Australia had earlier picked up the World T20 title twice in 2010 and 2012. The team is looking forward to grab its third title.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Points Out Amir Khan's Poor Boxing Record
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?