Football Transfer News: Barcelona Set to Make £83M Bid for Chelsea Triumvirate
By Lou Ramon Aguila | March 28, 2014 9:58 PM EST
Spanish La Liga powerhouse Barcelona is reportedly preparing to make a gigantic 83 million pound offer to English Premier League superpower Chelsea in an attempt to overhaul its roster this coming offseason, a reliable source disclosed on Wednesday.
Football Web site CaughtOffside broke the news about Camp Nuo's intention to bring in goalkeeper Chelsea keeper Thibaut Courtois, Brazilian international David Luiz, and midfielder combatant Ramires.
"CaughtOffside understands that the Catalan giants are set to offload a number of players this summer as they look to finance big money moves and the La Liga side hope to lure three players from Stamford Bridge," the site reported.
Barcelona is reportedly interested to bring in the young goaltender in Courtois, who has been playing well for the Atletico Madrid on loan. According to CaughtOffside, there's a big chance that Jose Mourinho would let Courtois walk away because he still considers Peter Cech as his no.1 man between the posts.
"Jose Mourinho may be open to cashing in on Courtois as he continues to see Petr Cech as his undisputed number one starter and the fact that their young Belgian is still yet to play a single senior fixture for the West London club, almost three years since signing for Chelsea, would appear to suggest he is a player they can afford to consider offers for."
Meanwhile, Barcelona also sets their sight on Luiz, who could be the heir apparent to long-time Barca defender Carles Puyol. Barca has only made a 25-million pound offer to the former Benfica player and is planning to jack up their offer this coming offseason.
Similarly Brazilian international David Luiz is seen by Barcelona as a possible long-term successor to centre-back Carles Puyol, with the 35-year-old also publicly announcing his intention to call time on his career at Barca.
The third target Barcelona wants to have is the 27-year-old Ramires, who could replace Alex Song and Javier Mascherano. However, Mourinho is believed to be adamant in losing the players that already had 200 appearance with the Blues.
According to the source, Barcelona is very much ready to put their massive offer on the table. The offer for the trio is reportedly worth s €100m (£83m).
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown