‘Youngistaan’ Review Roundup: Interesting Premise; Jackky Bhagnani Surprises with Performance
By Ankita Mehta | March 28, 2014 9:08 PM EST
Jackky Bhagnani starrer "Youngistaan" has received positive reviews from critics on its release. Critics have praised the film for the interesting plot, while Bhagnani has impressed them with his acting.
The political drama has received mostly 3 star-reviews, mainly for the story. Though it received positive responses from critics, it remains to be seen how the film will open at the box office.
"Youngistaan" also stars Neha Sharma, Farooq Sheikh and Kayoze Irani in important roles. The film has been low on promotions, due to which the buzz surrounding it is not great.
Read the critics' reviews here:
Taran Adarsh of Bollywood Hungama said: "YOUNGISTAAN looks at scheming politicians, driven by a greed for power and who try to pull the rug from under the feet. The storyteller also borrows episodes from real life -- some characters bear a striking resemblance to real-life politicians too -- making the spectator relate to the proceedings. The ambience is pitch-perfect, the feel is just right, the upheavals in the life of the young politician are illustrated wonderfully at times [Jackky pitches in a stellar act -- more on that later].
"Jackky Bhagnani springs a big surprise, surrendering himself to the character completely and delivering what can be rightly termed as his most sensitive portrayal to date. The confidence and understanding with which he carries off his part is an eye-opener, frankly. This act is sure to win Jackky plaudits, besides making people sit up and notice the hitherto untapped talent. Neha Sharma does very well, although you don't feel for the character initially. The late Farooque Sheikh is absolutely flawless and his performance in the film makes you miss him all the more. Boman Irani is, as always, bankable. Meeta Vashisht and Kayoze Irani get limited scope. The actors enacting the part of the politicians are perfect.
"On the whole, YOUNGISTAAN has an interesting premise, a mature act by Jackky Bhagnani and importantly, the message it conveys is just right. The writing could've been sharper, but having said that, this movie is worthy of a watch."
Subhash K Jha in his review said: "You have to hand it to this film for making an effort to be headline-ish without toppling over with the temperament of topicality. This is a genre never really cracked in Hindi cinema. A political drama about a young foreign-educated NRI who is forced to take over his country's reigns after his father's sudden death.
"Youngistaan is a smartly-written political parable about a young smart foreign-bred Indian who has the audacity to sing 'Japan Love In Tokyo' on a drunken night in Tokyo, who is thrust the thankless of job of India's prime ministership. Wisely the narrative never takes itself so seriously as to careen over under the weight of its conscientiousness.
"On the minus side the film tends lose steam whenever Jackky's character is not in the company of his girlfriend or PA. This is a measure of how well the characters are written and played. The material is judiciously edited. The camerawork is delightfully plush. As though to remind us that politics need not be a drab colourless vocation. It can be a bastion for the young.And it can be a great deal of fun."
Madhureeta Mukherjee of The Times of India said: "Wake up to the new face of modern India. Governed by a 28-year Prime Minister, well-bred, free-thinking and fashionably good-looking in denims and designer wear. And a live-in hottie girlfriend as the First Lady. Howzaat? Read on.
"Afzal's 'Youngistaan' at the core is an interesting idea, far-fetched, but refreshing. The love-story develops tenderly, but the political backdrop and ensuing drama is not crafted with clarity. The story suffers from uninspiring dialogues, with a stretched climax.
"Jackky shows sincerity and confidence, with a steady act in a tough role. Neha plays the pretty, exuberant girl-friend with flair. And finally, the superlative - Farooq Shaikh, enacting the last screen role of his life.
"Youngistaan isn't the perfect concoction of love and politics, but worth one 'shot'!"
Manjari Saxena of Gulf News said: "You have to make a choice. Either you take the disclaimer at the beginning of the film Youngistaan - that it bears no resemblance to any person living or dead - and see it as a fictional love story, or you watch it as a potboiler based on Indian politics.
"If you go expecting a political thriller, keep in mind that no leader is as clean as Abhimanyu. Even the greatest of them came with a few skeletons in their cupboard. History is witness to it.
"A few scenes do induce some laughter. It's commendable of director Afzal to have chosen such a bold topic for his debut and manage to extract decent performances from his lead actors, even though they have a long way to go before they are called "good actors".
"Youngistaan is a utopian story, at least in today's context. But if you aren't really busy this weekend, you can consider heading to this Utopia."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- Kate Middleton Cries As She Listens To A Moving Tale Of A Mother Who Lost Her Infant Daughter
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Finale Recap: And The Winner Is…[Spoilers]
- Kris Jenner Shocks Boyfriend Corey Gamble In The Bedroom With Her Tricks And Fabulous Sex Life
- 'Glee' Season 6 Spoilers, Air Date: Naya Rivera Teases Wedding In Final Chapter, Lea Michele Tweets 700th Song Number
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys