‘Game of Thrones’ Maisie Williams on Playing Arya Stark & Landing the Famous Role at Age 12
By Riza Ornos | March 28, 2014 8:20 PM EST
Maisie Williams has revealed how playing Arya Stark in HBO's epic TV series changed her life, after playing this role in four seasons of "Game of Thrones." The Bristol-born actress signed up for George R.R. Martin's book adaptation for HBO when she was just 12, and now after four years the young actress is just like a breath of fresh air in the murky world of show business.
REFILE - CORRECTING NAME OF AWARDS Actress Maisie Williams from the HBO series "Game of Thrones", arrives at the AFI Awards 2013 honoring excellence in film and television in Beverly Hills, California January 10, 2014. REUTERS/Fred Prouser
When the 16-year-old actress began her acting career, as the youngest of Stark girls, she had no prior acting experience. Thanks to her outstanding portrayal of Arya Stark, Williams won the 2012 Portal Award for Best Supporting Actress on Television. She won at the age of 15, becoming the youngest ever to win in that category.
Despite the success of the show, the young star is still getting used to being part of 'GOT' phenomenon, which has an international audience. "I stress out so much about the red carpet and interviews and pictures, and, you know, not getting my skirt tucked in my knickers," Maisie said during an interview after GOT season 4 premiere n New York.
"You worry about all of that and then, that's all over and all of sudden [the episode is] playing and you're like, 'No! Wait! Wait! Wait a second. I'm not ready.' It's crazy," she said.
She might be done playing Arya for a while, but she cannot escape her 300,000 or more followers on Twitter. Also, she has nearly 200,000 followers on Vine. After the Season 3's bloody ending, GOT season 4 promises to offer more twists and deceitful plots just to win the Iron Thrones.
Currently, Maisie is attending a performing arts college. She revealed how difficult it is to fit in. "We can leave school at 16, which is what I chose to do," she said. "I see a little bit of it, like Why are you here if you're famous? But you've never made it! It's just frustrating! If I were to be like, I don't need to go to college anymore because I have made it in the acting business, my college friends would be like, Oh my god. She's such a bitch."
"If I go to college and am in Game of Thrones, they're like, Why are you even here? You're famous already. You can't win. You just can't win," she added, wistfully.
"Game of Thrones" season 4 is scheduled to premiere on HBO on April 6, 2014.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine