‘Game of Thrones’ Maisie Williams on Playing Arya Stark & Landing the Famous Role at Age 12
By Riza Ornos | March 28, 2014 8:20 PM EST
Maisie Williams has revealed how playing Arya Stark in HBO's epic TV series changed her life, after playing this role in four seasons of "Game of Thrones." The Bristol-born actress signed up for George R.R. Martin's book adaptation for HBO when she was just 12, and now after four years the young actress is just like a breath of fresh air in the murky world of show business.
REFILE - CORRECTING NAME OF AWARDS Actress Maisie Williams from the HBO series "Game of Thrones", arrives at the AFI Awards 2013 honoring excellence in film and television in Beverly Hills, California January 10, 2014. REUTERS/Fred Prouser
When the 16-year-old actress began her acting career, as the youngest of Stark girls, she had no prior acting experience. Thanks to her outstanding portrayal of Arya Stark, Williams won the 2012 Portal Award for Best Supporting Actress on Television. She won at the age of 15, becoming the youngest ever to win in that category.
Despite the success of the show, the young star is still getting used to being part of 'GOT' phenomenon, which has an international audience. "I stress out so much about the red carpet and interviews and pictures, and, you know, not getting my skirt tucked in my knickers," Maisie said during an interview after GOT season 4 premiere n New York.
"You worry about all of that and then, that's all over and all of sudden [the episode is] playing and you're like, 'No! Wait! Wait! Wait a second. I'm not ready.' It's crazy," she said.
She might be done playing Arya for a while, but she cannot escape her 300,000 or more followers on Twitter. Also, she has nearly 200,000 followers on Vine. After the Season 3's bloody ending, GOT season 4 promises to offer more twists and deceitful plots just to win the Iron Thrones.
Currently, Maisie is attending a performing arts college. She revealed how difficult it is to fit in. "We can leave school at 16, which is what I chose to do," she said. "I see a little bit of it, like Why are you here if you're famous? But you've never made it! It's just frustrating! If I were to be like, I don't need to go to college anymore because I have made it in the acting business, my college friends would be like, Oh my god. She's such a bitch."
"If I go to college and am in Game of Thrones, they're like, Why are you even here? You're famous already. You can't win. You just can't win," she added, wistfully.
"Game of Thrones" season 4 is scheduled to premiere on HBO on April 6, 2014.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Nina Dobrev To Quit 'The Vampire Diaries' As She Feels 'Uneasy' Working With Ex Ian Somerhalder In Nikki Reed's Presence- Reports
- ‘Batman vs. Superman’ Bruce Wayne May Be In Trouble In Leaked Video [Spoilers]
- Season 4 ‘American Horror Story-Freak Show’ Update: Introduction Of Twisty The Clown Is ‘Brutal’ [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson Is Not Proposing FKA Twigs Plus What Kristen Stewart Thinks About RPatz's New Romance- Reports
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 29, 2014: Brooke Must Decide If She Will Continue With Her Plans Of Marrying Bill [WATCH VIDEO]
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate