‘Game of Thrones’ Maisie Williams on Playing Arya Stark & Landing the Famous Role at Age 12
By Riza Ornos | March 28, 2014 8:20 PM EST
Maisie Williams has revealed how playing Arya Stark in HBO's epic TV series changed her life, after playing this role in four seasons of "Game of Thrones." The Bristol-born actress signed up for George R.R. Martin's book adaptation for HBO when she was just 12, and now after four years the young actress is just like a breath of fresh air in the murky world of show business.
REFILE - CORRECTING NAME OF AWARDS Actress Maisie Williams from the HBO series "Game of Thrones", arrives at the AFI Awards 2013 honoring excellence in film and television in Beverly Hills, California January 10, 2014. REUTERS/Fred Prouser
When the 16-year-old actress began her acting career, as the youngest of Stark girls, she had no prior acting experience. Thanks to her outstanding portrayal of Arya Stark, Williams won the 2012 Portal Award for Best Supporting Actress on Television. She won at the age of 15, becoming the youngest ever to win in that category.
Despite the success of the show, the young star is still getting used to being part of 'GOT' phenomenon, which has an international audience. "I stress out so much about the red carpet and interviews and pictures, and, you know, not getting my skirt tucked in my knickers," Maisie said during an interview after GOT season 4 premiere n New York.
"You worry about all of that and then, that's all over and all of sudden [the episode is] playing and you're like, 'No! Wait! Wait! Wait a second. I'm not ready.' It's crazy," she said.
She might be done playing Arya for a while, but she cannot escape her 300,000 or more followers on Twitter. Also, she has nearly 200,000 followers on Vine. After the Season 3's bloody ending, GOT season 4 promises to offer more twists and deceitful plots just to win the Iron Thrones.
Currently, Maisie is attending a performing arts college. She revealed how difficult it is to fit in. "We can leave school at 16, which is what I chose to do," she said. "I see a little bit of it, like Why are you here if you're famous? But you've never made it! It's just frustrating! If I were to be like, I don't need to go to college anymore because I have made it in the acting business, my college friends would be like, Oh my god. She's such a bitch."
"If I go to college and am in Game of Thrones, they're like, Why are you even here? You're famous already. You can't win. You just can't win," she added, wistfully.
"Game of Thrones" season 4 is scheduled to premiere on HBO on April 6, 2014.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’