‘Game of Thrones’ Maisie Williams on Playing Arya Stark & Landing the Famous Role at Age 12
By Riza Ornos | March 28, 2014 8:20 PM EST
Maisie Williams has revealed how playing Arya Stark in HBO's epic TV series changed her life, after playing this role in four seasons of "Game of Thrones." The Bristol-born actress signed up for George R.R. Martin's book adaptation for HBO when she was just 12, and now after four years the young actress is just like a breath of fresh air in the murky world of show business.
REFILE - CORRECTING NAME OF AWARDS Actress Maisie Williams from the HBO series "Game of Thrones", arrives at the AFI Awards 2013 honoring excellence in film and television in Beverly Hills, California January 10, 2014. REUTERS/Fred Prouser
When the 16-year-old actress began her acting career, as the youngest of Stark girls, she had no prior acting experience. Thanks to her outstanding portrayal of Arya Stark, Williams won the 2012 Portal Award for Best Supporting Actress on Television. She won at the age of 15, becoming the youngest ever to win in that category.
Despite the success of the show, the young star is still getting used to being part of 'GOT' phenomenon, which has an international audience. "I stress out so much about the red carpet and interviews and pictures, and, you know, not getting my skirt tucked in my knickers," Maisie said during an interview after GOT season 4 premiere n New York.
"You worry about all of that and then, that's all over and all of sudden [the episode is] playing and you're like, 'No! Wait! Wait! Wait a second. I'm not ready.' It's crazy," she said.
She might be done playing Arya for a while, but she cannot escape her 300,000 or more followers on Twitter. Also, she has nearly 200,000 followers on Vine. After the Season 3's bloody ending, GOT season 4 promises to offer more twists and deceitful plots just to win the Iron Thrones.
Currently, Maisie is attending a performing arts college. She revealed how difficult it is to fit in. "We can leave school at 16, which is what I chose to do," she said. "I see a little bit of it, like Why are you here if you're famous? But you've never made it! It's just frustrating! If I were to be like, I don't need to go to college anymore because I have made it in the acting business, my college friends would be like, Oh my god. She's such a bitch."
"If I go to college and am in Game of Thrones, they're like, Why are you even here? You're famous already. You can't win. You just can't win," she added, wistfully.
"Game of Thrones" season 4 is scheduled to premiere on HBO on April 6, 2014.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Bachelorette 2014, Bachelor 2015 Spoilers: Andi Dorfman Hints at Next Bachelor; Find Out What He Thinks About the Job
- Castle Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic says ‘Back in the Saddle’, Beckett, Castle Romance to Grow Stronger
- Selena Gomez & Andre Hamann Update: Andre Calls Selena Stunning, Admits Crush on Singer
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June