Indian Air Force's C-130 Super Hercules Military Aircraft Recently Used for MH370 Hunt Crashes in Gwalior; 5 Killed
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | March 28, 2014 6:01 PM EST
A multi-role special operations aircraft, which was reportedly used recently for the search of the missing Malaysian airliner MH370 has crashed near Gwalior in Madhya Pradesh, India. All five air force personnel on board were killed, military sources have said.
C-130J "Super" Hercules (Representational picture: Wiki Commons)
The Indian Air Force aircraft was one of six bought from the US four years ago, NDTV reported. The biggiset military transport plane, was in a routine flying mission training when it crashed, a spokesperson told the news agency, Press Trust of India.
Television channels from India say that the C-130 J Plane, also known as super Hercules crashed in Karauli district in Rajasthan, 72 miles from Gwalior, a historical and major city in the Indian state of Madhya Pradesh located to the south of Agra, 219 kilometers south of Delhi and 423 kilometers north of Bhopal, the state capital. It had reportedly taken off from Agra.
India had recently bought all the six military exercise aricrafts from US at the cost of $1.1 billion (Rs. 6000 crore).
The Super Hercules was used in a major show of strength against China last year when its troops pitched tents in ladakh's Daulat Beg Oldie sector in 2013. The Indian Air Force had landed the C-130J Super Hercules at Daulat Beg Oldie in order to send a strong message to China.
The aircraft, equipped with an Infrared Detection Set (IDS), and it can perform low-vel flying, airdrops and landing in blackout conditions. Features such as Self-protection systems are included in the aircraft to ensure its survivability in war-like situations. The aircraft is also said to be equipped with air-to-air receiver refueling capability for extended range operations, IBNLive has reported.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where and How to Best View Delta Aquarids Meteor Shower Peak on July 28 and 29
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- iPhone 6 releasing Soon, Use Old Smartphones to Save Rainforest
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June