Indian Air Force's C-130 Super Hercules Military Aircraft Recently Used for MH370 Hunt Crashes in Gwalior; 5 Killed
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | March 28, 2014 6:01 PM EST
A multi-role special operations aircraft, which was reportedly used recently for the search of the missing Malaysian airliner MH370 has crashed near Gwalior in Madhya Pradesh, India. All five air force personnel on board were killed, military sources have said.
C-130J "Super" Hercules (Representational picture: Wiki Commons)
The Indian Air Force aircraft was one of six bought from the US four years ago, NDTV reported. The biggiset military transport plane, was in a routine flying mission training when it crashed, a spokesperson told the news agency, Press Trust of India.
Television channels from India say that the C-130 J Plane, also known as super Hercules crashed in Karauli district in Rajasthan, 72 miles from Gwalior, a historical and major city in the Indian state of Madhya Pradesh located to the south of Agra, 219 kilometers south of Delhi and 423 kilometers north of Bhopal, the state capital. It had reportedly taken off from Agra.
India had recently bought all the six military exercise aricrafts from US at the cost of $1.1 billion (Rs. 6000 crore).
The Super Hercules was used in a major show of strength against China last year when its troops pitched tents in ladakh's Daulat Beg Oldie sector in 2013. The Indian Air Force had landed the C-130J Super Hercules at Daulat Beg Oldie in order to send a strong message to China.
The aircraft, equipped with an Infrared Detection Set (IDS), and it can perform low-vel flying, airdrops and landing in blackout conditions. Features such as Self-protection systems are included in the aircraft to ensure its survivability in war-like situations. The aircraft is also said to be equipped with air-to-air receiver refueling capability for extended range operations, IBNLive has reported.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- 15 Orgasms/Week, $27K/Yr Salary Not Bad for Professional Toy Tester Cara Houiellebecq (VIDEO)
- Viral Video Cyring Sadie: 5-Year-Old Little Girl Does Not Want Her Baby Brother to Grow Up [WATCH VIDEO]
- Thai’s Crackdown on Commercial Surrogacy Exposes Aussie Couple’s Appalling Deed
- New Zealand Drafts IWC Resolution to Stop Japanese Whalers from Hunting in 2015
- Pacific Islands Forum Delegates Appeal for Changes to Climate Policies, Better Marine Life Protection
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools