Kim Dotcom's New Zealand Internet Party Passes 500-Member Mark for Electoral Registration
By Reissa Su | March 28, 2014 5:17 PM EST
Megaupload Founder Kim Dotcom's Internet Party in New Zealand has already reached the 500 members required to register in the New Zealand Electoral Commission one day after the party's launch.
John Mitchell, the spokesman for New Zealand Internet Party said they're paid up members but they still have to be checked against the electoral role. As of March 28 in the morning, Mr Dotcom's party has passed the 600-mark.
The New Zealand Internet Party was launched on March 27 with a website and a smartphone application to allow people to sign up online. The party has people working to check the sign-ups against the electoral roll.
Mr Mitchell also revealed that thousands had expressed their interest to join the party. The party's Web site carried the message "this is going to be awesome" with the promise of providing unlimited, cheaper and fast Internet to the people of New Zealand.
Kim Dotcom, the Internet tycoon who is facing extradition to the US for charges of copyright infringement and racketeering, said he will give Kiwi voters the chance to change the status quo. At the launch, Mr Dotcom said the Internet Party is for those who haven't voted before and those disappointed by the political choices.
Mr Dotcom has been fighting his extradition to the United States on charges of Internet piracy. He said he will file for a court appeal questioning the ruling on the legality of the raid, according to The Guardian.
The New Zealand court of appeals has junked the decision of the Supreme Court in 2012 that the warrants used in the raid were invalid since they did not specify Mr Dotcom's offences. The search warrants were obtained before Mr Dotcom's arrest and used to confiscate 135 electronic devices, servers and storage devices in Jan. 2012.
Mr Dotcom again used his Twitter handle to announce he will not give up the fight against his extradition.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan
- China Is Building An Island In The Spratly Islands—Report
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Eurozone Indicators Forewarn Imminent Recession: Germany's Manufacturing Sector Slows
- Prince Charles to Reshape Monarchy When He Becomes King – Report
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues