Kim Dotcom's New Zealand Internet Party Passes 500-Member Mark for Electoral Registration
By Reissa Su | March 28, 2014 5:17 PM EST
Megaupload Founder Kim Dotcom's Internet Party in New Zealand has already reached the 500 members required to register in the New Zealand Electoral Commission one day after the party's launch.
John Mitchell, the spokesman for New Zealand Internet Party said they're paid up members but they still have to be checked against the electoral role. As of March 28 in the morning, Mr Dotcom's party has passed the 600-mark.
The New Zealand Internet Party was launched on March 27 with a website and a smartphone application to allow people to sign up online. The party has people working to check the sign-ups against the electoral roll.
Mr Mitchell also revealed that thousands had expressed their interest to join the party. The party's Web site carried the message "this is going to be awesome" with the promise of providing unlimited, cheaper and fast Internet to the people of New Zealand.
Kim Dotcom, the Internet tycoon who is facing extradition to the US for charges of copyright infringement and racketeering, said he will give Kiwi voters the chance to change the status quo. At the launch, Mr Dotcom said the Internet Party is for those who haven't voted before and those disappointed by the political choices.
Mr Dotcom has been fighting his extradition to the United States on charges of Internet piracy. He said he will file for a court appeal questioning the ruling on the legality of the raid, according to The Guardian.
The New Zealand court of appeals has junked the decision of the Supreme Court in 2012 that the warrants used in the raid were invalid since they did not specify Mr Dotcom's offences. The search warrants were obtained before Mr Dotcom's arrest and used to confiscate 135 electronic devices, servers and storage devices in Jan. 2012.
Mr Dotcom again used his Twitter handle to announce he will not give up the fight against his extradition.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
Join the Conversation
- Twitter Photo Of British Medical Muslima Student Holding Severed Head
- Australia's Imam Council Rebuffs Abbott Decision To Send Troops; Wants 'Islamic' Dropped From ISIS
- Strike vs ISIS Countdown: Arab Nations Signify Intent to Join U.S. Fight
- Germany to Send Soldiers to Iraq, Bans Displays of Support for ISIS
- Russia to Create Emergency Fund for Sanctions-Hit Companies, to Build New Rail Line Bypassing Ukraine
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date