Westboro Baptist Church Threatens To Picket Australian School Over Matthew Shepard Play
By Anne Lu | March 28, 2014 4:36 PM EST
Westboro Baptist Church is now targeting an Australian high school. The Margaret River Senior High School in WA attracted the unwanted attention of the infamous U.S. anti-gay group after it announced plans to perform a production about the life of Matthew Shepard, a victim of gay hate crime in the U.S.
The play titled “The Laramie Project” is from playwright Moises Kaufman, and is about the reaction to the 1998 murder of Shepard, who was brutally beaten and left to die in the city of Larami in Wyoming.
Although they have been around since the mid ‘50s, the WBC members came into national spotlight after picketing the funeral of Shepard. They have since picketed a number of other funerals, concerts, political meetings, and events.
And perhaps that’s why they are now targeting Margaret River Senior High School, apart from the obvious reason that they oppose Shepard’s sexuality. It has been announced that its students will be performing the play on Tuesday.
On Thursday, the WBC called the Aussie school “land of the damned down under,” threatening to picket it.
— Westboro Baptist (@WBCSays) March 27, 2014
The students are not worried, though. In fact, they were pleased that the WBC gave them free publicity.
“Yes [the students] are quite excited they’ve generated a response,” arts teacher Mern McCormack told WA News. “They have had an emotional response but they feel quite empowered by it – they feel they are doing something right.”
Principal Andrew Host was also amused by the response of the notorious hate group.
“We’re a school that promotes social tolerance,” he said. “It’s a challenging text and I’m sure they will do an outstanding job of performing it.”
Westboro Baptist Church recently picketed New Zealand phenomenon Lorde’s concert in Kansas.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Taking a Time Off in August Amidst Miscarriage & Adopting a Child Claims
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Vacation Plans: Visit Prince Charles & Camilla Parker-Bowles
Join the Conversation
- Video of Kids Reaction to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Goes Viral [Watch YouTube Clip]
- PM Tony Abbott’s Adviser Advocates Return of Using Cane to Discipline Students
- Survey Says 37% of Investors Consider Books, Magazines & Online Media as Best Sources of ‘Education’
- Fourth of July Guide On Do's and Don'ts On Firework Sounds For Your Dogs
- Students in Australia to Pay Higher University Fees Unless Tax is Increased
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Ahead of iPhone 6 Sept 2014 Debut; Specced-Up but Remains Plastic-Wrapped – Reports
- LG G2 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Guide: When to Hit Your Region and How to Install