Westboro Baptist Church Threatens To Picket Australian School Over Matthew Shepard Play
By Anne Lu | March 28, 2014 4:36 PM EST
Westboro Baptist Church is now targeting an Australian high school. The Margaret River Senior High School in WA attracted the unwanted attention of the infamous U.S. anti-gay group after it announced plans to perform a production about the life of Matthew Shepard, a victim of gay hate crime in the U.S.
The play titled “The Laramie Project” is from playwright Moises Kaufman, and is about the reaction to the 1998 murder of Shepard, who was brutally beaten and left to die in the city of Larami in Wyoming.
Although they have been around since the mid ‘50s, the WBC members came into national spotlight after picketing the funeral of Shepard. They have since picketed a number of other funerals, concerts, political meetings, and events.
And perhaps that’s why they are now targeting Margaret River Senior High School, apart from the obvious reason that they oppose Shepard’s sexuality. It has been announced that its students will be performing the play on Tuesday.
On Thursday, the WBC called the Aussie school “land of the damned down under,” threatening to picket it.
— Westboro Baptist (@WBCSays) March 27, 2014
The students are not worried, though. In fact, they were pleased that the WBC gave them free publicity.
“Yes [the students] are quite excited they’ve generated a response,” arts teacher Mern McCormack told WA News. “They have had an emotional response but they feel quite empowered by it – they feel they are doing something right.”
Principal Andrew Host was also amused by the response of the notorious hate group.
“We’re a school that promotes social tolerance,” he said. “It’s a challenging text and I’m sure they will do an outstanding job of performing it.”
Westboro Baptist Church recently picketed New Zealand phenomenon Lorde’s concert in Kansas.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Prince George Birthday: Adorable New Pictures of George Touching a Butterfly on William's Hand Released [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- PM Tony Abbott’s Adviser Advocates Return of Using Cane to Discipline Students
- Survey Says 37% of Investors Consider Books, Magazines & Online Media as Best Sources of ‘Education’
- Fourth of July Guide On Do's and Don'ts On Firework Sounds For Your Dogs
- Students in Australia to Pay Higher University Fees Unless Tax is Increased
- Kate Middleton Chats with Children During Charity Visit to London Elementary School
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time