Google Nexus 6 Release Date May Show Off 6-Inch Phablet
By Kristin Dian Mariano | March 28, 2014 3:43 PM EST
Consumers may see a 6-inch phablet on Google Nexus 6 release date. According to Web site G for Games, the new owner of Motorola and Lenovo will continue to make handsets for Google. It was speculated that Motorola will launch a new phablet by third quarter of the year.
Nexus 6 concept image
The report noted the phablet will pack a 6.3-inch screen display. This has led to speculations that the device could be the next Nexus smartphone. The rumor that Motorola was working on a phablet dubbed as Motorola XPlay started in October 2013. There were very few details about the reported smartphone-tablet hybrid.
When Lenovo acquired Motorola early this year, the former said it will not change the timeline and line-up of its devices. It was claimed at the time that the next Moto X was already designed and the company will also release a 6-inch phablet and smartwatch. Motorola also has a smartwatch in the works and 6-inch smartphone will be released during Q3 2014, which is around July to September.
Google's VP Sundar Pichai also hinted the Nexus 6 will be released in October. In his statement during the Mobile World Congress when he said the next Nexus smartphone will not arrive in the first half of 2014 but instead the second quarter of the year.
Releasing a phablet is not surprising as every manufacturer follows the current trend of offering the hybrid smartphone-tablet. Rumors pointed the handset will pack a quad HD screen display with 1,440 x 2,560 pixel resolution, 64-bit processor and 16 MP rear camera.The search engine giant has not confirmed the official specs and features of the smartphone. Some of Google Nexus 6 rumored features are 5.2-inch full-HD, curved LCD display protected with Corning Gorilla Glass, 64-bit version of its Snapdragon 800-series chipset paired 3 GB RAM, 13 MP camera and 5 MP front-facing camera, Bluetooth, NFC, Micro-USB, Wi-Fi and 4G.
The next Nexus smartphone was expected to be released with the next generation of Android operating system dubbed as 4.5 Lollypop. The handset was reported to be available in 32 GB/64 GB/128 GB storage variants.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 to Feature Retina Scanner Challenging iPad Retina and iPhone 6
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs. OnePlus One—Specifications, Features, Release Date and Price Showdown
- These 2 Questions Reveal if You Unwittingly Abuse Alcohol
- Blake Griffin’s Back Injury Is the Reason for His Withdrawal from Team U.S.A.
- Supernatural Season 10 Spoilers: Metatron Capable of Saving Castiel's Fading Grace
- Anderson Silva To Test the Octagon Anew After Freak Leg Injury, To Fight Nick Diaz in 2015