Critics Gives ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ Trailer a Spanking Review
By Riza Ornos | March 28, 2014 3:22 PM EST
After the highly anticipated "Fifty Shades of Grey" trailer has been released at Cinemacon, a group of lucky critics are there to give their valuable review for the upcoming racy movie. The sexy brief five minutes of footage was shown for the first time since the movie wrapped up last February.
The sneak preview of E.L. James book adaptation featured various scenes of both lead stars played by Dakota Johnson as the young and innocent Anastasia Steele and Jamie Dornan as BDSM loving billionaire Christian Grey. "Nobody outside the studio has seen a frame of footage," says Universal Pictures chairman Donna Langley after the big reveal.
The clip featured never-before-seen footage of Anastasia and Christian meeting for the first time in Grey's office, in coffee shops and the hardware store. All scenes are all familiar to those who read the "Fifty Shades" books but despite of popular prediction of being raunchy the trailer is distinctly PG.
"Rather than fill the five-minute teaser with the sex that made the books by British author E.L. James so popular, the studio went against expectations and highlighted the romance between the two leads," says Entertainment Weekly's reporter Nicole Sperling. "With the exception of a brief blindfold, a hand on a thigh and a glimpse of a riding crop, Mr. Grey's penchant for domineering sex was kept to a minimum."
Although the trailer is not yet available for the public, the critics described it as "twilight-esque" that features favorite quotes from the book. "I don't want to use the words 'sappy' and 'cheesy.' It looked like 'Twilight' with S&M in it." "It's not going to be a good movie, but it's going to do very well," says reporter Sheldon Demke.
Thanks to Cinemacon's traditionally conservative crowd, the "Fifty Shades of Grey" trailer was toned-down but promises all kinds of carnal relations. The omission of the sex scenes took many critics by surprise but it does show a brief glimpse of a whip, a blindfolded Dakota Johnson and Dornan saying, "Hearts and flowers - that's not who I am."
According to the The Wrap, the trailer was "surprisingly tame" and was more concerned about the blooming romance of the two lead stars. "Fifty Shades of Grey" is set to premiere on February 2015.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Nina Dobrev To Quit 'The Vampire Diaries' As She Feels 'Uneasy' Working With Ex Ian Somerhalder In Nikki Reed's Presence- Reports
- ‘Batman vs. Superman’ Bruce Wayne May Be In Trouble In Leaked Video [Spoilers]
- Season 4 ‘American Horror Story-Freak Show’ Update: Introduction Of Twisty The Clown Is ‘Brutal’ [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson Is Not Proposing FKA Twigs Plus What Kristen Stewart Thinks About RPatz's New Romance- Reports
- ‘American Horror Story’ Season 4 ‘Freak Show’ Spoiler Update: Return of ‘Asylum’ Character
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate