Critics Gives ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ Trailer a Spanking Review
By Riza Ornos | March 28, 2014 3:22 PM EST
After the highly anticipated "Fifty Shades of Grey" trailer has been released at Cinemacon, a group of lucky critics are there to give their valuable review for the upcoming racy movie. The sexy brief five minutes of footage was shown for the first time since the movie wrapped up last February.
The sneak preview of E.L. James book adaptation featured various scenes of both lead stars played by Dakota Johnson as the young and innocent Anastasia Steele and Jamie Dornan as BDSM loving billionaire Christian Grey. "Nobody outside the studio has seen a frame of footage," says Universal Pictures chairman Donna Langley after the big reveal.
The clip featured never-before-seen footage of Anastasia and Christian meeting for the first time in Grey's office, in coffee shops and the hardware store. All scenes are all familiar to those who read the "Fifty Shades" books but despite of popular prediction of being raunchy the trailer is distinctly PG.
"Rather than fill the five-minute teaser with the sex that made the books by British author E.L. James so popular, the studio went against expectations and highlighted the romance between the two leads," says Entertainment Weekly's reporter Nicole Sperling. "With the exception of a brief blindfold, a hand on a thigh and a glimpse of a riding crop, Mr. Grey's penchant for domineering sex was kept to a minimum."
Although the trailer is not yet available for the public, the critics described it as "twilight-esque" that features favorite quotes from the book. "I don't want to use the words 'sappy' and 'cheesy.' It looked like 'Twilight' with S&M in it." "It's not going to be a good movie, but it's going to do very well," says reporter Sheldon Demke.
Thanks to Cinemacon's traditionally conservative crowd, the "Fifty Shades of Grey" trailer was toned-down but promises all kinds of carnal relations. The omission of the sex scenes took many critics by surprise but it does show a brief glimpse of a whip, a blindfolded Dakota Johnson and Dornan saying, "Hearts and flowers - that's not who I am."
According to the The Wrap, the trailer was "surprisingly tame" and was more concerned about the blooming romance of the two lead stars. "Fifty Shades of Grey" is set to premiere on February 2015.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- Kate Middleton Cries As She Listens To A Moving Tale Of A Mother Who Lost Her Infant Daughter
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Finale Recap: And The Winner Is…[Spoilers]
- Kris Jenner Shocks Boyfriend Corey Gamble In The Bedroom With Her Tricks And Fabulous Sex Life
- 'Glee' Season 6 Spoilers, Air Date: Naya Rivera Teases Wedding In Final Chapter, Lea Michele Tweets 700th Song Number
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys