Critics Gives ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ Trailer a Spanking Review
By Riza Ornos | March 28, 2014 3:22 PM EST
After the highly anticipated "Fifty Shades of Grey" trailer has been released at Cinemacon, a group of lucky critics are there to give their valuable review for the upcoming racy movie. The sexy brief five minutes of footage was shown for the first time since the movie wrapped up last February.
The sneak preview of E.L. James book adaptation featured various scenes of both lead stars played by Dakota Johnson as the young and innocent Anastasia Steele and Jamie Dornan as BDSM loving billionaire Christian Grey. "Nobody outside the studio has seen a frame of footage," says Universal Pictures chairman Donna Langley after the big reveal.
The clip featured never-before-seen footage of Anastasia and Christian meeting for the first time in Grey's office, in coffee shops and the hardware store. All scenes are all familiar to those who read the "Fifty Shades" books but despite of popular prediction of being raunchy the trailer is distinctly PG.
"Rather than fill the five-minute teaser with the sex that made the books by British author E.L. James so popular, the studio went against expectations and highlighted the romance between the two leads," says Entertainment Weekly's reporter Nicole Sperling. "With the exception of a brief blindfold, a hand on a thigh and a glimpse of a riding crop, Mr. Grey's penchant for domineering sex was kept to a minimum."
Although the trailer is not yet available for the public, the critics described it as "twilight-esque" that features favorite quotes from the book. "I don't want to use the words 'sappy' and 'cheesy.' It looked like 'Twilight' with S&M in it." "It's not going to be a good movie, but it's going to do very well," says reporter Sheldon Demke.
Thanks to Cinemacon's traditionally conservative crowd, the "Fifty Shades of Grey" trailer was toned-down but promises all kinds of carnal relations. The omission of the sex scenes took many critics by surprise but it does show a brief glimpse of a whip, a blindfolded Dakota Johnson and Dornan saying, "Hearts and flowers - that's not who I am."
According to the The Wrap, the trailer was "surprisingly tame" and was more concerned about the blooming romance of the two lead stars. "Fifty Shades of Grey" is set to premiere on February 2015.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Reports: Alleged Miscarriage Makes Prince William and Pince Harry Somber - Reports
- Ed Sheeran Disappoints Taylor Swift and Other A-List Celebrities, Scolded for Spilling Secrets - Reports
- Beyonce and Jay Z: HOV May Have a Sextape with Carmen Bryan, Report Suggests; Queen Bey ‘Beyond Furious’
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Find Out: Will Andi Dorfman Accept the Proposal and is She Still With the Winner
- Jim Parsons Quits The Big Bang Theory News Turns Out Hoax, but Actor ‘Not’ Sure about his Return in Season 8
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal