Critics Gives ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ Trailer a Spanking Review
By Riza Ornos | March 28, 2014 3:22 PM EST
After the highly anticipated "Fifty Shades of Grey" trailer has been released at Cinemacon, a group of lucky critics are there to give their valuable review for the upcoming racy movie. The sexy brief five minutes of footage was shown for the first time since the movie wrapped up last February.
The sneak preview of E.L. James book adaptation featured various scenes of both lead stars played by Dakota Johnson as the young and innocent Anastasia Steele and Jamie Dornan as BDSM loving billionaire Christian Grey. "Nobody outside the studio has seen a frame of footage," says Universal Pictures chairman Donna Langley after the big reveal.
The clip featured never-before-seen footage of Anastasia and Christian meeting for the first time in Grey's office, in coffee shops and the hardware store. All scenes are all familiar to those who read the "Fifty Shades" books but despite of popular prediction of being raunchy the trailer is distinctly PG.
"Rather than fill the five-minute teaser with the sex that made the books by British author E.L. James so popular, the studio went against expectations and highlighted the romance between the two leads," says Entertainment Weekly's reporter Nicole Sperling. "With the exception of a brief blindfold, a hand on a thigh and a glimpse of a riding crop, Mr. Grey's penchant for domineering sex was kept to a minimum."
Although the trailer is not yet available for the public, the critics described it as "twilight-esque" that features favorite quotes from the book. "I don't want to use the words 'sappy' and 'cheesy.' It looked like 'Twilight' with S&M in it." "It's not going to be a good movie, but it's going to do very well," says reporter Sheldon Demke.
Thanks to Cinemacon's traditionally conservative crowd, the "Fifty Shades of Grey" trailer was toned-down but promises all kinds of carnal relations. The omission of the sex scenes took many critics by surprise but it does show a brief glimpse of a whip, a blindfolded Dakota Johnson and Dornan saying, "Hearts and flowers - that's not who I am."
According to the The Wrap, the trailer was "surprisingly tame" and was more concerned about the blooming romance of the two lead stars. "Fifty Shades of Grey" is set to premiere on February 2015.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 24 – 28 Plus Thanksgiving Special Spoilers: Someone Returns, Kelly Finds Out About Engagement And More [Videos]
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Nov. 24-28, 2014 Plus Additional Spoilers For Dec. 1, 2014: Thanksgiving In Port Charles
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Rick Grimes’ Group To Capture Cops In Episode 7 – ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’
- ‘Days Of Our Lives’ (DOOL) Nov. 24 – 28 Spoilers: JJ Decides, Melanie Confronts Chad And Daniel And Nicole Reconcile
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan