Critics Gives ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ Trailer a Spanking Review
By Riza Ornos | March 28, 2014 3:22 PM EST
After the highly anticipated "Fifty Shades of Grey" trailer has been released at Cinemacon, a group of lucky critics are there to give their valuable review for the upcoming racy movie. The sexy brief five minutes of footage was shown for the first time since the movie wrapped up last February.
The sneak preview of E.L. James book adaptation featured various scenes of both lead stars played by Dakota Johnson as the young and innocent Anastasia Steele and Jamie Dornan as BDSM loving billionaire Christian Grey. "Nobody outside the studio has seen a frame of footage," says Universal Pictures chairman Donna Langley after the big reveal.
The clip featured never-before-seen footage of Anastasia and Christian meeting for the first time in Grey's office, in coffee shops and the hardware store. All scenes are all familiar to those who read the "Fifty Shades" books but despite of popular prediction of being raunchy the trailer is distinctly PG.
"Rather than fill the five-minute teaser with the sex that made the books by British author E.L. James so popular, the studio went against expectations and highlighted the romance between the two leads," says Entertainment Weekly's reporter Nicole Sperling. "With the exception of a brief blindfold, a hand on a thigh and a glimpse of a riding crop, Mr. Grey's penchant for domineering sex was kept to a minimum."
Although the trailer is not yet available for the public, the critics described it as "twilight-esque" that features favorite quotes from the book. "I don't want to use the words 'sappy' and 'cheesy.' It looked like 'Twilight' with S&M in it." "It's not going to be a good movie, but it's going to do very well," says reporter Sheldon Demke.
Thanks to Cinemacon's traditionally conservative crowd, the "Fifty Shades of Grey" trailer was toned-down but promises all kinds of carnal relations. The omission of the sex scenes took many critics by surprise but it does show a brief glimpse of a whip, a blindfolded Dakota Johnson and Dornan saying, "Hearts and flowers - that's not who I am."
According to the The Wrap, the trailer was "surprisingly tame" and was more concerned about the blooming romance of the two lead stars. "Fifty Shades of Grey" is set to premiere on February 2015.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 29, 2014: Caroline Is Remorseful About What Happened To Her And Ridge While Katie Is Fuming [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Star Wars: Episode 7' Leaked Image Of New Villain Clutching Red Lightsaber [Spoilers]
- 'The Walking Dead' Star Norman Reedus Bashes The Report That He Begged The Producers Not To Turn Daryl Dixon Gay
- 'Game Of Thrones' Actor Kit Harington Denies Romance With Co-stars Rose Leslie And Emilia Clarke
- 'The Big Bang Theory' Season 8 Episode 7 Spoilers: Penny Takes Off Her Ring In The Misinterpretation Agitation [VIDEO]
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family