Sony Xperia Z2 Pre-orders Out in April, But Shortages Predict May 1 Release; Verizon Exclusive Spotted?
By Gel Galang | March 28, 2014 1:24 PM EST
Several reports, as in CNet, wherein it's reported that the Sony Xperia Z2's release date, at least as far as the general public may be concerned, might be pushed back to May in the UK and Europe.
GSM Arena even adds that Sony has already contacted Unlocked Mobiles, a UK retailer, and had told them that the launch has been postponed until the first week of May, alongside the rest of all other UK retailers.
In a recent update via Android Central, however, in a statement that had been issued by a Sony spokesperson, the company has hinted at the possibility of not being able to meet demands, though it is working hard to do so.
"Xperia Z2 will be available in the UK during April and we are expecting to deliver to all consumers who have placed a pre-order through our key partners," said Sony in the statement as per Android Central.
"We are working tirelessly to maximise stock levels in April but currently we do not expect to meet the high demand across all our sales channels. Please stay tuned for further information and confirmed retail availability," continues the statement.
At the very least, this can mean that those who have pre-ordered their units will be getting the Sony Xperia Z2, while the rest would have to wait a few more days or weeks for their own. Still, those who have placed their pre-orders may want to try sorting things out with the retailer that they have ordered with, in case they have had their directions from Sony regarding possible changes in schedule.
Verizon's Exclusivity Claim to Sony Xperia Z2?
Another ongoing rumour goes that instead of T-Mobile, which had the chance of launching both the Xperia Z and Z1, Verizon will have the exclusive rights to the Sony Xperia Z2.
Phone Arena has spotted the Sony D6508, which is the suspected Verizon model, at least according to a report from Japan. The said model has supposedly already earned Wi-Fi certification last March 3 as well as support for LTE/CDMA2000/WCDMA/GSM connectivity.
Of course, this is still a rumour, especially given the inconsistency of the distribution and carriers. The market will have to wait to see if it's possible for the Xperia Z2 to become a branded smartphone.
Read more tech and gaming news:
Join the Conversation
- Nokia Lumia 635: Microsoft Drops AT&T Smartphone's Price For 2014 Black Friday Sale
- Google’s Mobile Search To Lessen Stress Of Black Friday Shopping
- ‘Destiny’ Dev Holds Own Black Friday 2014 Sale As More The Dark Below Details Get Revealed
- Apple’s Black Friday Sale Versus Other Retailers
- ‘GTA V' Title Update 1.04, Black Friday Sale And Heists DLC Release In December Possible
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast